• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Here's an idea for Englands ODI squad!!

one_dayer

Cricket Spectator
How about England open batting with Harmisson, give him an Afridi like role, let him swing that tree trunk of a bat he uses at every ball instead of wasteing him at the bottom of the order!!

Im going to get flamed now :D :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
one_dayer said:
How about England open batting with Harmisson, give him an Afridi like role, let him swing that tree trunk of a bat he uses at every ball instead of wasteing him at the bottom of the order!!

Not at all - it's one of the more meaningful, insightful comments which has been made on Cricketweb for some time, and I wholeheartedly concur.

Swervy

International Captain
hey why not....Australia used to put Craig McDermott up the order and it worked sometimes.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
one_dayer said:

haha, the only problem might be that there's a big difference between opening the batting and swinging away at numbers 9, 10 and 11....the only way to find out if he could handle the new ball is to throw him up there though I guess.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
as much as this comment is similar to that of indian fans wanting pathan to open, perhaps this isnt a completely bad idea... perhaps.

Swervy

International Captain
Nnanden said:
as much as this comment is similar to that of indian fans wanting pathan to open, perhaps this isnt a completely bad idea... perhaps.
Some of Harmisons hitting this summer has been breathtaking (in a really funny way)

steds

Hall of Fame Member
England did send Richard Johnson in at 3 sometime last season. Didn't they?

There's hope for Harmy yet...you never know, we might end up with 2 Flintoff's

Craig

World Traveller
steds said:
England did send Richard Johnson in at 3 sometime last season. Didn't they?

There's hope for Harmy yet...you never know, we might end up with 2 Flintoff's
They did. Not that it paid off.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
As it almost never does when you promote tail-enders to try to slog good bowling.
That's so right.

The tail can make hay on occasion when they are up against tired bowlers using an old ball, and that's about it.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Didn't Harmison smack a 95mph Brett Lee delivery for six last time England were out in Australia? He got 20* I think in the one match England won.

Not a great idea promoting him, but not the worst I've ever heard. Although Johnson is a better slogger than Harmy and he got 0 at no3.

Javagal Srinath did a good job of it at the 99 World Cup, as I remember - it works every now and again.

Swervy

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
That's so right.

The tail can make hay on occasion when they are up against tired bowlers using an old ball, and that's about it.
fun to watch though :D

Langeveldt

Soutie
one_dayer said:

Difference between those two is, Harmison can bat....

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Difference between those two is, Harmison can bat....
Yeah, I bet Afridi can't play the reverse sweep like Harmy. Harmy's gonna break Afridi's 37-ball hundred record in the Ashes ODIs next year, you heard it here first! :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Barney Rubble said:
Didn't Harmison smack a 95mph Brett Lee delivery for six last time England were out in Australia? He got 20* I think in the one match England won.

Not a great idea promoting him, but not the worst I've ever heard. Although Johnson is a better slogger than Harmy and he got 0 at no3.

Javagal Srinath did a good job of it at the 99 World Cup, as I remember - it works every now and again.
In Srinath's 5 innings in WC99 he batted as follows: nine, eight, eight, eight, seven.
Harmison did indeed hammer a Lee Full-Toss over mid-wicket for four, in fact, but it was perhaps the best moment of The Ashes - no credit for Harmison, just great to see one of Australia's most beloved sons humiliated by an Englishman who can't bat for $hit. The ultimate symbol of how the series had turned.