• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Great cricketing names

Barney Rubble

International Coach
There are plenty of players around with top quality names at the moment - props to Langeveldt for pointing out Hamilton Masakadza and Arnoldus Mauritius Blignaut on another thread, that got me wondering what other wonders world cricket holds. A few of my personal favourites are (apart from Masakadza and Blignaut of course):

Dave Mohammed
Kaushal Lokuarachchi
Ian Daniel - a Sri Lankan with a Scottish first name is priceless!!
Warnakulasooriya Vaas - that's Chaminda's real name!
Dwayne Bravo - sounds like a superhero
Charlie Shreck
Tatenda Taibu - loving the alliteration
Vangipurappu Venkata Sai Laxman
Stuart Matsikenyeri
Alester Maregwede
Mfuneko Ngam
Lakshmipathy Balaji
Mahendra Nagamootoo
Dinanath Ramnarine

pakster

U19 12th Man
lol....has to be Dave Mohammad!...His parents should be knighted and DM should be given honnorary captaincy of the WI team!

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Roger Binny is a good one!

Agree with you pakster, DM would probably do a better job than Lara!! :D

Robin Singh as well, Roger Binny jogged my memory.

pakster

U19 12th Man
How can we forget...

Warnakulasuriya Patabendige Ushantha Joseph Chaminda Vaas

lol...where the hell did joseph come from?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Wow, I didn't know that was his whole name! Joseph does seem a bit random.

Loads of Sri Lankans have 4 or 5 first names - there must be a few strange ones in there. Still don't know where the hell Ian Daniel came from - it's not a stretch to say that he has one Scottish name and one Jewish one (in Biblical terms, although I might be wrong).

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Barney Rogers is good.(Not really realted to cricket but there's this baseball player with the name Coco Crisp)

Langeveldt

Soutie
My personal faves...

Gerhardus Liebenberg
Keagan Africa
Prabath Nissanka
Dinuk Hetiarachchi
Brett Schultz
Ashwell Prince
Gerrie Snyman

More when I think of them

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
For me, being an old fart, it has to be, er, (rushes off to Cricinfo) Srinivasaraghavan Venkataraghavan.

<quack> I like the double-barreled names

Like Ashley Harvey-Walker?

<quack> Not a lot - and stop showing your age.

Like who then?

<quack> Steve Wayward-Harmison and Brad Cheaty-Hodge