• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

who says solanki wasnt good enough???

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
i think that theory has gone out of the window.

and hopefully his performance will mean that rob key will be sacked permanently. the next one to go must be gough he is unfit and fails to take wickets , james anderson must emerge now as his replacement on a regular basis.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
ROFLMAO

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

While you are at it sack Flintoff aswell - Alex Wharf is clearly a world beater and Anthony Mcrgath is clearly the best allrounder in the world with his test batting average of 40.20 and his test bowling average of 14.00

Swervy

International Captain
sledger said:
i think that theory has gone out of the window.

and hopefully his performance will mean that rob key will be sacked permanently. the next one to go must be gough he is unfit and fails to take wickets , james anderson must emerge now as his replacement on a regular basis.

he batted well yesterday did Solanki, but he must do it in more games to prove anything...we all know he has the ability though, we just want to see the consistancy.

Now I have been one of the 'Goughs had his day' brigade, but in all fairness, I thought he bowled with a lot of zip and did really well on Wednesday,and I think England need his cool head in ODIs

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
You're easily pleased, aren't you?!

The whole "let's-see-how-close-I-can-get-my-pull-shots-to-Rohan-at-square-leg" thing scared me, somewhat.

No one's ever denied that he has buckets of talent (like Ramprakash), however the International game is much more mentally demanding - let's see if Vikram makes it stick in the Challenge and Champions Trophy.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Ooh because Young Vikram has been such consistant class hasnt he...

And Richard Johnson is the greatest test bowler of all time...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
You're easily pleased, aren't you?!

The whole "let's-see-how-close-I-can-get-my-pull-shots-to-Rohan-at-square-leg" thing scared me, somewhat.

No one's ever denied that he has buckets of talent (like Ramprakash), however the International game is much more mentally demanding - let's see if Vikram makes it stick in the Challenge and Champions Trophy.
How can you possibly compare these two? - they're totally different players.
Solanki has only this season made himself look like a good one-day player at the domestic level. Before that he'd done sod-all in one-day-cricket.
Ramprakash never really got a proper chance in ODIs.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Old sledger there serves his purpose - posting in Glenn McGrath mode mades for an interesting thread (for a while).

I'm surprised that he advocates the retention of Vaughan (haven't selected him for omission yet, but I suppose that's because others are suggesting such a thing and sledgyboy doesn't wish to appear over-conciliatory).

After all, the England skipper can't buy a run - perhaps he ought to take some batting tips from Steve Wayward-Harmison.

The great thing about English cricket at the moment is that the old 'don't bring him in - he is rubbish' argument has been replaced (for now at least) by 'bring him in - he is good' - well, among thinking supporters at least. Long may THAT continue.

shaka

International Regular
I was just wondering why they decided to put Solanki in the opening position, and drop Andrew Strauss down the order (to number 4), i dont think he did that bad to be relegated down the order! Solanki has performed so far where he is currently batting. I highly doubt they would even have the idea of dropping Flintoff

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
shaka said:
I was just wondering why they decided to put Solanki in the opening position, and drop Andrew Strauss down the order (to number 4), i dont think he did that bad to be relegated down the order! Solanki has performed so far where he is currently batting. I highly doubt they would even have the idea of dropping Flintoff
I guess at the end of the day it's all about flexibility, and doing what the opposition least want you to do to boot.

The old LR-RH combination brasses fielding sides off a lot, especially in the first 15 overs with a swinging ball and especially against sides with a sub-standard wicket-keeper, when anything down the leg side has a chance of adding 5 to the total.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've always thought the old left-right combo is rather overrated.
All that matters is that you have two good players - having a good player of the opposite hand at the other end won't turn a substandard left- or right-hander into a good one.
Increasingly left-left is the favoured combination, in any case, rather than left-right.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
shaka said:
Strauss has hardly ever opened in ODI cricket - only the distaster in Dambulla, IIRC.

Most of his career he has batted at 3/4 with Vaughan opening.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Strauss has hardly ever opened in ODI cricket - only the distaster in Dambulla, IIRC.

Most of his career he has batted at 3/4 with Vaughan opening.
And most of his one-day career domestically has been carved-out as an opener.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
It's clearly far easier to have to bowl different sides of the wicket than just one...
Is it?
Personally I just aim each ball - I don't have a metronome that says where most balls will pitch.
I find it not difficult at all to adjust to left- and right-hand - I do, however, have equal problem controlling my line to both of them.
I can't, of course, comment on how easy others find it, but I'd imagine if one of as inferior talent as me isn't affected, betters wouldn't be either.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
For a lot of people (and maybe this is your problem?) it's a case of rythym allowing them to plant the ball in the same place without thinking, only needing little adjustments, rather than a conscious effort to aim each ball.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So you really think most bowlers make no conscious effort to aim each ball?
You really think they have a specific spot?
Personally I think there are so many bowlers around ATM who are clearly unable to hit the spot they're aiming at three times out of six it's highly unlikely.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
No, there won't be that much of a conscious effort to determine the general area, muscle memory will do most of that, the effort will be the fine tuning.