• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Whats the matter with India???

tooextracool

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
They are about an eight man team at the moment, to say they completely revolve around Flintoff is doing guys like Trescothick, Harmison and Giles a bit of a dis service...
a goodish team you say?
trescothick- as inconsistent as ever...good enough to be in the side?-yes...world class-no
solanki - too early to be convinced about him
vaughan - count him out because hes just a waste of space.
strauss - again hasnt been very consistent
collingwood - bar the 70 odd what has he done of late?
anthony mcgrath - another person who has been carried along too long
geraint jones- has he ever done anything of substance at all in ODIs ? batting out of position too.
giles - fair enough he has actually been quite consistent of late.
gough - half the bowler he was before and extremely inconsistent of late
harmison - consistent
anderson - barely merits a place in the side ATM.

from what i can see we have harmison,giles and to a lesser extent strauss and trescothick as players who are certainities in the side. the rest of them are just lucky enough to be playing for a mediocre side IMO.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
its exactly what people would say about the indian team 4-5 years ago with tendulkar.
if flintoff didnt bowl those 10 overs, take those catches, motivate the side in the field and then score the runs the way he has been i wonder how well we'd be doing at the moment....and i think we saw how well we were doing in the natwest series without him.
a) How come the whole teams fielding was sharper against India than in the NatWest series, but you've not mentioned this. Has Flintoff been giving them fielding lessons aswell as being the hero in the field?
b) Look how well they did in the NatWest Sreies matches with Flintoff, did they lose both, or is it just me?

tooextracool

International Coach
steds said:
a) How come the whole teams fielding was sharper against India than in the NatWest series, but you've not mentioned this. Has Flintoff been giving them fielding lessons aswell as being the hero in the field?
the fielding wasnt bad in the natwest series either, but certainly players like solanki made the fielding a lot better...... however the fielding was never poor in the first place.

steds said:
b) Look how well they did in the NatWest Sreies matches with Flintoff, did they lose both, or is it just me?
and if i remember correctly flintoff didnt bowl a single ball in the natwest series....regardless anybody could have seen the remarked effect that flintoff had on the batting in the natwest series when he came into the side....the team was scoring nearly twice as much as they were without him.

Dar

School Boy/Girl Captain
There is no doubt Englands one day side depends a lot on Flintoff. Not to say they haven't got other good players like Strauss, Harmison and Trescothick on his day but as far as a player capable of turning a match around, they only have flintoff

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
And it was never good either.
no so they might have gone 1 rung up in the fielding but really is that what wins you matches or changes you from a very poor team to a good team?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
no so they might have gone 1 rung up in the fielding but really is that what wins you matches or changes you from a very poor team to a good team?
Not just the big innings, or a rich wicket-haul, but even a few great catches, a thrilling stumping or runout, or emphatic ground fielding, such basic aspects, when done rigth, can win matches. Look at SL and NZ. If the Indian team was as good as them in fielding, they would have been a lot better than they are now.

tooextracool

International Coach
Arjun said:
Not just the big innings, or a rich wicket-haul, but even a few great catches, a thrilling stumping or runout, or emphatic ground fielding, such basic aspects, when done rigth, can win matches. Look at SL and NZ. If the Indian team was as good as them in fielding, they would have been a lot better than they are now.
and as i just said, the fielding hasnt improved anywhere near as significantly.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Isn't it obvious who's fault Wednesday is?

SRT choked yet again! ;)
hey you beat me to that statement, but never mind, the "world's greatest" choker proved it again as he injured himself thereby hurting his team's chances in the last few one dayers...he is directly responsible for all the losses....
:D :) :D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Legglancer said:
Yeah Right buddy !!!!

December 2003

3 tests against SL average 23
1 ODI against SL 3
Oh great 1 whole ODI of failure - what shocking form.

In spite of that, he still averages about 80 with the bat and 20 with the ball in the period I said - terrible...

Legglancer

State Regular
marc71178 said:

In spite of that, he still averages about 80 with the bat and 20 with the ball in the period I said - terrible...

1 odi 3 runs against SL
3 Tests average 23 against SL

why no mention of the testis my friend ???? and I guess you would still consider him " in the best form of his life" in that period too eh??? :p :p

A clear Case of selective memory :p

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
marc71178 said:

That was still one of the top England scores that day IIRC, wasn't it?!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
legglancer said:
1 odi 3 runs against SL
3 Tests average 23 against SL

why no mention of the testis my friend ???? and I guess you would still consider him " in the best form of his life" in that period too eh???

A clear Case of selective memory
*typo* *typo* *typo*

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Legglancer said:
why no mention of the testis my friend ???? and I guess you would still consider him " in the best form of his life" in that period too eh??? :p :p
Seeing the intial comment was about ODI's, I don't see your point, but incidentally, in that period he's averaging 50.69 with the bat even including those 3 games (not to mention 28.82 with the ball)

Bear in mind that that is over a period of 16 Tests, so it's a fairly long period and kind of bears my 15 months out.