• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can people accept Australia's reign?

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
The cricketing world for so long now has been dominated by Australia. It is clear we dominate all over the park yet there are so many threads on here that are rubbish... people trying to compare themeselves to Australia, just because they have a drawn series over here or something... as if that somehow entitles them to world champion status or to be considered the same as Australia.

I'm starting to worry if people are just a tad jealous or impatient that we keep dominating world cricket so much. If India can go beat South Africa, England and NZ away from home then perhaps yeah i'll give you some credit... But till then forget about drawing a series against us when we were at half strength and maybe start just acknowleging the raw facts that we've been on top of this game in every facet for the past 5 years. And no there's no changing of the guard either...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Q:- Can people accept Australia's reign?

A:- Do they have a choice ?? I mean anyone not accepting that would be a fool and would have total disregasrd for facts.

Langeveldt

Soutie
"Accepting" Australia's reign would not be very condusive to competitive cricket would it?

The fact is that for years, Australia have represented the "Benchmark", the level that others aspire to.... It would be stupid not to always challenge them...

As for others claiming ther teams are at Australia's level, go and take up lawn darts or something...

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
"Accepting" Australia's reign would not be very condusive to competitive cricket would it?

The fact is that for years, Australia have represented the "Benchmark", the level that others aspire to.... It would be stupid not to always challenge them...

As for others claiming ther teams are at Australia's level, go and take up lawn darts or something...
How come this whole forum's gone lawn darts crazy?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
pakster said:
I dont think many have a problem with australias reign, its their arrogance people cant stand!!
I think supreme confidence in your own abilities and the ability of the team to win is sometimes confused with "arrogance".

Scallywag

Banned
I think because Australia accepted West Indies were the best and took the opportunity to learn from them and remodelled our cricket to perform best.

Thats the difference, Australia admired the abilities of the West Indians and followed suit, but now everybody wants to slam Australia for everything they can without giving them the reconigtion they deserve. One day India will have to swallow their pride and reconise Australia for what they are or forever remain the whipping boys who complain all the time. What I mean by that is you cant keep denigrating Aus then turn around and copy them without getting egg on your face.

Swervy

International Captain
Scallywag said:
I think because Australia accepted West Indies were the best and took the opportunity to learn from them and remodelled our cricket to perform best.

Thats the difference, Australia admired the abilities of the West Indians and followed suit, but now everybody wants to slam Australia for everything they can without giving them the reconigtion they deserve. One day India will have to swallow their pride and reconise Australia for what they are or forever remain the whipping boys who complain all the time. What I mean by that is you cant keep denigrating Aus then turn around and copy them without getting egg on your face.

mmm...see you point (up to a point) ..but does that kind of comment actually encourage the thought that Australians are arrogant????

Scallywag

Banned
Swervy said:
mmm...see you point (up to a point) ..but does that kind of comment actually encourage the thought that Australians are arrogant????
Could be just honest and calling a spade a spade.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
what i'm trying to say is it's bad for world cricket. exactly as scallywag said. Australia modelled themselves on the West Indies and tried hard. They knew how good they were and they knew that they were leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else.

The teams who accept this like NZ and England and play smart against Australia will probably take over the reigns at the top...

Teams who challenge Australias reign won't learn anything and just die in the ****

Scallywag

Banned
A good example is Ranatunga.

When Hayden was interveiwed about the the difference in India and Australia in ODI's he gave an honest answer that had merit but instead of looking at what he said and why, Ranatunge took the opportunity to slag off Haydens 380 in a test match.

I cant think of one good reason why Ranatunga would try to bring Hayden down instead of trying to just help Sri Lanka improve.

delkap

State Vice-Captain
If this whole forum isn't arrogance then what is it ?? The whole world knows that Aussies are by far the best cricket team in both forms, and no-one really claimed to be better. I certainly don't think Indians are better than Australian team. So why the need to make such a statement in the first place.. and correct me if I am wrong, this thread was targeted at Indians ...

I can only think, that you didn't like 1-1, as spoiling Australia's perfect record and didn't like being reminded of it by any Indian.. If Indians thought they were better, they would actually be disappointed by the 1-1 series.. Like the Australians were..
But infact, Indians look up to that as their best performance actually proves that they regard Aus as a better team, and are simply happy at competing well..

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Any team at the top is going to have an off day, or off series. Even Sampras lost at Wimbledon in between his 8 or something titles in a row. That doesn't mean the team have lost it or anything. It could mean teams are catching up or Australia have lost a little bit.

I think Australia are baking in the sunshine while it lasts, we were a mediocre team for so long, and for going on 8 or ten years we have been far ahead of everyone else, times will change, and I think other teams will catch up and we will rejoin the pack. That is just an excuse for the arrogance.

I don't mind teams winning all the time, as long as they are gracious about it. I haven't been a really big fan of the Australian team while they were winning, because even to me they seemed arrogant.