• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** NatWest Challenge Thread

Andre

International Regular
England have made a good start here with 3 early wickets - Alex Wharf might just be a handy little ODI player by the looks of things - Nasser certainly thought so before play.

Geraint Jones doesn't seem to have improved his glovework this summer, however.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Good opportunity for Kaif though...he really needs a big innings to keep his place.

Is Wharf bowling with pace or is he a medium pacer with good line & length?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Tim said:
Good opportunity for Kaif though...he really needs a big innings to keep his place.

Is Wharf bowling with pace or is he a medium pacer with good line & length?
I'd say he's the second option

Andre

International Regular
Not quite - from what I've noticed he's a lot sharper than he seems, and that is what is causing the problems.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
So he'd be a Daryl Tuffey like bowler? just so I can picture it in my mind!
Or even Andre Adams?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
89/5...not good for India.
This really isn't a good sign considering how poorly England have been playing recently.

Andre

International Regular
Tim said:
So he'd be a Daryl Tuffey like bowler? just so I can picture it in my mind!
Or even Andre Adams?
More Adams than Tuffey - Adams gets a bit more out of his system than he should, whereas Tuffey doesn't get as much as he should. Wharf is fairly wiry, and seems to be getting suprising pace and bounce.

On a side note, what a fine umpire Darrell Hair is - he's made some superb decisions this summer. I can't understand why he was never an original member of the panel - aside from politics.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
i think hair is quite a fine umpire too and should be on the panel no doubt..
and how usefula a batsmen is wharf.. from the people that have seen him at county..could be another craig white or paul collingwood..?

India in huge trouble.. even gavaskar needs to step up , here is a perfect chance for him and kaif to step up and look for a spot..

Andre

International Regular
Wharf is more a Giles-type batsman....Handy but a bowling all-rounder at best. He adds depth to the order.

Hair is on the panel now - and rightly so. The re-do the panel every year from memory.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
ahh okay.. thats helpful then.. seems like a good find for england then..

thats good too that hair is on the panel..

i think 2-1 series to England..

Whats your predictions?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Alex who? I just came back a few minutes ago!

CricInfo is down, I guess- I could not get on their site. How many runs did Ganguly make at the top? Might prove how useful he is there. Honestly, he is more vital in the middle. Why does he sacrifice himself- and the middle order- by going up so high?

The more we see 7 batsmen in the team, the more redundant it seems. They have all failed with their main skill. What will happen when they're a fielding side? If they have to depend so much on a seventh batsman, they have major problems with their batting. The task should be done with six, five or even four batsmen. A promising bowler, all-rounder or wicketkeeper could have been brought in, and that would help the team a lot more. This team badly needs a bowler at 7 who can hit the big shots, if they have to stay alive after 5 wickets fall- someone like Klusener.

Good chance for Rohan to get some runs. He's a big match player, who can come useful in tough spots like these- be it in batting, bowling or fielding.

Harmison has a very good chance of running through this team at least once in this series.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Good catch by Collingwood- sent back Rohan.

Now Pathan has to hit a few big shots. No point playing through the innings.

Andre

International Regular
Harmy hat-trick. Lets just hope his form stays, unlike the other English ODI bowler with a hat-trick! Corresponding series last year, I believe.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Again i can't see a single delivery from this match due to E&S Vs Hathway war of words. I hope Dinesh gets a game in the next match.

Only one off-topic message to Rajeev

Dude if you have time, could you please tape the match of Shikha Uberoi Vs Venus Williams 2nd round match in the US Open which i think will be televised but as i have said E&S are blacked out in Hyderabad and so i can't watch it . If you could please and torrent that on Desi Torrents. This is the first time i think an Indian Origin women player made it to the second round and so it will be great if you could do that.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Whoah! What are England doing selecting ODI players with ability!?? GO Wharfey.. Ive seen him put a lot of effort into his cricket down the years for Glamorgan, he thoroughly deserves his chance.. I cannot think of a better first three wickets to get as well...

kundalini1000

Cricket Spectator
Indian Team Sucks- Need Massive Overhaul

Indian Team Now is so bad-- nothing can hurt.. please send e-mails to newspapers, officials, websites ... on getting new people into the team...

When a small nation such as Sri Lanka (small in size and number of people) can thrash the Indian team... the handwriting is on the wall...... I do not support teams with little pride ... Fire Ganguly and bring in some fresh blood... such Shewag to captain India...

CAPTAIN MUST PERFORM TO HAVE ANY EFFECT ON REST OF THE TEAM>>>
see Atapattu for instance.