• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** NatWest Challenge Thread

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
Vande Mataram said:
I dont care if vaughn got a hat trick...it is the way he got his hat trick...if it was a bowled or something I understand...but Nehra just gave him his hat trick...and thats what I hate!
you mean harmison not vaughn...

Swervy

International Captain
Despite India getting all out for 170(due mostly to good England bowling), I think it was plain to see the problems this team has...and that is the bowling.

The new hope Pathan looked in general very tame (he got the odd ball to do something, but as his pace is nothing to write home about, the batsmen can normally adjust). Balaji looked average,Nehra was Nehra,and Kumble took a fearful battering...I was expecting great things from this young bowling line up (Pathan being compared to Wasim ...someone on here the other week said he was better than Glen McGrath)....judging from this one game,this bowling attack NEEDS Srinath big time.

If Indias bowlers play at this standard, teams will rack up 300 on them,and we saw today what can happen to the Indians on bouncy wickets vs fast accurate bowling.

This team looked a shadow of that at the World Cup.

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
no team needs srinath, he had pace sure but he could suck very well most of the times too. I am sorry you bought into hype of ind bowling, but IND bowling is just there to get job done not to over achieve, IND strategy is and has been to bat out to victory thus 7 batsmen. Pathan is the best of the lot but he's just good not great.

Swervy

International Captain
maxpower said:
no team needs srinath, he had pace sure but he could suck very well most of the times too. I am sorry you bought into hype of ind bowling, but IND bowling is just there to get job done not to over achieve, IND strategy is and has been to bat out to victory thus 7 batsmen. Pathan is the best of the lot but he's just good not great.
I didnt really buy into the hype...but I thought there would have been some improvement, but this just looked like a tame 1980's style Indian bowling line up but without Dev or an effective spinner... I was expecting a bit more than what I saw...maybe it is a lack of match practice (I doubt it though as this is Indias third tournament in the last few weeks).

That about Srinath...erm, I would say he is easily in the top 2 pace bowlers India has ever produced..and I thought he was Indias best bowler in the World Cup...his retirement is a big loss...but these things happen!!!!

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
I hope IND loose 3-0 just to show ppl who doubt sachin is any help, what they probably don't realise is how much more pressure sachin add for the opposition. Fitness to me is a bigger issue for IND bowling and probably wont improve which is a sad part.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I've only watched the highlights, but I'm absolutely ecstatic at that result.

India were utterly unable to adapt to the conditions and just played it like a subcontinental flat track. Wharf got more bounce than you'd think he would get and Ganguly and Dravid both perished to impetuous hook shots.

Colly's catch was a blinder, Yuvraj's run out was just daft given the situation and Harmo just ate the tail. I don't actually think that was an attempted straight drive, anyway, it was an attempted block to a 90mph+ full and straight ball, and Ashish can't bat, so it went straight back to Harmo.

Batting wise, Solanki has so much talent (those drives are just fantastic to watch) but still scares me (those pull shots in and around Gavaskar's head - argh!). India have to sort that bowling attack out now, because it was slow and inaccurate and utterly unthreatening.

And Fred's God.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
badgerhair said:
Still, Solanki was awful, though, wasn't he? Once useless, always useless, that's what I say.

Cheers,

Mike

One swallow does not a summer make.

The attack he faced wasn't really the greatest (bearing in mind that he has in the past taken a ton off the South Africans) - he needs to carry that on for at least the rest of this series and then the Champions Trophy IMO.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
One swallow does not a summer make.

The attack he faced wasn't really the greatest (bearing in mind that he has in the past taken a ton off the South Africans) - he needs to carry that on for at least the rest of this series and then the Champions Trophy IMO.
I'm no Solanki fan either, but he looked a lot better in this game than he had before: if he hadn't got form, as it were, there would be no need to look askance. I'm certainly more sanguine about his chances of repeating this sort of performance than I was.

Cheers,

Mike

Craig

World Traveller
Vaughan is a shocker in this form of the game.

If he weren't captain, I would question Vaughan's spot in the team.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Vaughan is a shocker in this form of the game.

If he weren't captain, I would question Vaughan's spot in the team.
Why not Ganguly? He can't field, he can't run between wickets, he can't even hit the ball. Not to mention he can't convert starts to big scores. At least Vaughan is in a team that's in form and winning more matches.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Why can't the Indian team give Irfan Pathan more opportunities in the top six? They can afford to do so, since he can bat and the Indian batting side is still struggling, even with 7 batsmen. He has the big shots which no other batsman in this team has. More importantly, he has the temperament of a top-order batsman, but can afford to take risks, since he can always bowl- and he's their strike bowler.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
I've only watched the highlights, but I'm absolutely ecstatic at that result.

India were utterly unable to adapt to the conditions and just played it like a subcontinental flat track. Wharf got more bounce than you'd think he would get and Ganguly and Dravid both perished to impetuous hook shots.

Colly's catch was a blinder, Yuvraj's run out was just daft given the situation and Harmo just ate the tail. I don't actually think that was an attempted straight drive, anyway, it was an attempted block to a 90mph+ full and straight ball, and Ashish can't bat, so it went straight back to Harmo.

Batting wise, Solanki has so much talent (those drives are just fantastic to watch) but still scares me (those pull shots in and around Gavaskar's head - argh!). India have to sort that bowling attack out now, because it was slow and inaccurate and utterly unthreatening.

And Fred's God.
You talk a lot of sense, couldn't agree more with that. Was I the only one who was surprised to see Anil Kumble get such a fearful tonking? I mean, ok, Fred was batting, but even Strauss was swatting him around, and Fred only hit two sixes off him - where did the other 45 runs from 6 overs come from?

Nothing to worry about for the next two games on that performance. India need to shape up if they want to do well in the Trophy. My tip - someone steal Rahul Dravid's keeping gloves! A batsman at 7 doesn't work, Karthik needs to play.