• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussie Sides!!!

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I was glad to see a couple of things yesterday with the announcement of the 2 aussie sides...

The Australia 'A' Team to play South Africa included Greg Blewett, and also Justin Langer...
Both these guys are top players IMO are great players and fully deserve their spot in the side, as well as the announcement of Michael Clarke and Damien Wright who both have great potential...

As for the main Aussie side i was happy to hear the recall of Qld spinner Nathan Hauritz, Hauritz didn't have the best of tours when Australia toured South Africa earlier in the year but it was his 1st real step up in class.. I felt he was harshly done by when dropped for the 3 games against Pakistan but am glad to see he recieved a call up...

The 2 sides are

AUSTRALIA
Ricky Ponting (captain) TAS
Adam Gilchrist (vice-captain) WA
Michael Bevan NSW
Andrew Bichel QLD
Jason Gillespie SA
Nathan Hauritz QLD
Matthew Hayden QLD
Brett Lee NSW
Darren Lehmann SA
Jimmy Maher QLD
Damien Martyn WA
Glenn McGrath NSW
Shane Warne VIC
Shane Watson TAS

AUSTRALIA 'A'

Justin Langer (captain) WA
Simon Katich (vice-captain) NSW
Greg Blewett SA
Nathan Bracken NSW
Ryan Campbell WA
Michael Clarke NSW
Stuart Clark NSW
Ian Harvey VIC
Mark Higgs SA
Brad Hogg WA
Michael Hussey WA
Andrew Symonds QLD
Brad Williams WA
Damien Wright TAS

What do u think of these sides???

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes I do,

What do Australians think of a Tasmanian leading the side? hehe

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
sniff no place for both the waughs

im a big fan of them ! give them a chance they brought half of the recent glory to Australia more like 3/4 ! remember the wordlcup !!

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
I can't understand why there are sides like Kenya and Canada competing in the World Cup when this Australia A side would be odds-on to get to the Super-Six stage... if not further...

If the World Cup is about finding which players are "the best of the best" - then why can't countries field two teams if they're good enough???

:confused:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
MrPerko:

Thats pretty easy to answer, the fact is, is that ICC wants more countries to start playing test cricket & there is no way that this will happen if sides like Canada are put on the backseat for an Australia 'A' side, people will just lose interest aswell.

The more variety of countries the better in my opinion. We can all say that Kenya, Canada & Namibia are useless now but in about 15 years time or so all going well they should at least be able to play a solid game of cricket.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
True.

Looking back through history, the newest country to be accepted to full test status has tended to be the whipping boy for a time. This happened to West Indies, South Africa (the first time, not the second), well, all of them (including England - Charles Bannerman saw to that in the first-ever test match).

I propose that the Aussies be chucked out of test cricket for 5 years then re-admitted to the fold. :D

I reckon it would take a few years to re-establish their dominance.

The point is, once established, you eventually find your feet. It's a learning process.

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah - I agree that international cricket should be structured to let new cricketing nations "find their feet"... however, I think that the World Cup is about finding the best players and teams in the world....

I'll use this example to prove my point...

100 METRES - Men - Final 2000 Olympics

Greene Maurice USA 9.87
Boldon Ato TRI 9.99
Thompson Obadele BAR 10.04
Chambers Dwain GBR 10.08 (SB)
Drummond Jon USA 10.09
Campbell Darren GBR 10.13
Collins Kim STK 10.17
Zakari Abdul Aziz GHA

In this 100 metres final at the Sydney Olympics, there were 2 runners from both the USA and from Great Britain.... why?? Because these countries have the depth of talent to be able to field two runners. Now... let's say for example that the IOC (Int. Olympic Committee) decided that because Australia and New Zealand sprinters needed to "find their feet" that they'd say to America and Great Britain that they could only run ONE runner and that an Australian and New Zealand sprinter would replace them.... who's personal bests were waaaayy below the guys dropping out....

Can you imagine the uproar that would occur if this happened??? Well - it's the same with the World Cup. If Australia (and whoever else) is capable of fielding another world-class side, then it is only logical that they should have their shot at the "Gold Medal"...

I rest my case. 8D :D 8D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
If Australia (and whoever else) is capable of fielding another world-class side, then it is only logical that they should have their shot at the "Gold Medal"...

I rest my case.
Dangerous precedent which could be the death of international team sports as we know it. Next Aussie test series is against . . . Australia.

Next year, Manure (sorry, Man U) are invited to enter 3 teams in the FA Cup.

Not going to happen, MrPerko. Ever!

Sorry, case dismissed.

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hmmmm.... I think I'll take that as a huge compliment, Luckyeddie - on behalf of Australia!!

Ok - I'm not for a second planning to start up the "Australia A for the World Cup" interest group or anything... it was simply a hypothetical I threw out.

However, can we agree on one thing.... that the entire concept of "finals" - whether it be a 100 metres final, or the FIFA World Cup Finals or a World Series Cricket final - is about finding out which is the best team. Therefore, the inclusion of those parties who don't come under the heading of "the best teams" is illogical - and not to mention unfair.

However, I do agree that the inclusion of minow countries will enhance the game.... don't want cricket to turn into Rugby League or anything... Jeezus!!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I frequently compliment Australia - they have been the nearest thing to a perfect cricket team over the last couple of decades we have ever seen.
They have the best grass-roots set-up in the world, were the first to introduce central contracts (I think), and their own policy of allowing foreign players to attend their cricket academies is (in part) a recognition of the fact that a single, soaraway team in world cricket is not a healthy situation.
One thing I would like to say, though, regarding your hypothetical suggestion :

An Australia v Australia 'A' final would make the rest of the cricket world sit up and realise that any complacency or comfort regarding being the second-best side in the world is pointless, and that they would have to set their own houses in order before they could progress.

Mind you, I would rather watch 10 Australias than one Manchester United :D

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
As for the Olympics - Your argument is very flawed. All nations can have one runner in the event in the early stages - As with the World Cup. They then have the opportunity to beat the established ones.

Denying Kenya, Canada etc. the opportunity to beat them would have no purpose. They most likely won't reach the Super Six but where's the harm in letting them try.

And Cricket is a Team Sport whereas the 100m is Individual...

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
If Australia (and whoever else) is capable of fielding another world-class side, then it is only logical that they should have their shot at the "Gold Medal"...I rest my case. 8D :D 8D

By your logic, Brazil and Argentina should have fielded more then two teams in the football world cup. Dream on buddy, it ain't happening and rightfully so.There is nothing comparable between a world cup(football or cricket) and olympic sprint competitions which are individual events just like a host of other individual tournaments in various sports like tennis et al.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
The 100metres is an individual sport. They basicly race for themselves and just have their country name beside them. I represent New Zealand in an Individual sport and while the 'New Zealand team' is what i am in, It would be mean to only send one person to the Olympics when 3 have Qualified.

Cricket is a team sport. Australia could probably put out 10 teams that would beat Kenya but to represent your country in the world cup is what u should dream about. What good would it do if u had 'B' players playing in the world cup for their country.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes it was strange to isolate an olympic event as a comparison, 100m running is completely in the opposite direction of World Cup cricket.

While I think an Australia 'A' side would easily do better than Kenya, Canada and whoever else, I don't think it is in the best interest of cricket to do this.

Lets face it, if Australia had two teams they'd probably be in the top 5 or 6 and im sure other countries would just lose interest or claim they should have an 'A' team playing aswell and it will turn into a farce.

The ICC are better off letting Canada, Namibia & co. into the mix. Cricket is better off looking to the future rather than allowing an Australian 'A' side into the tournament just to make sure there is more competition, why risk losing 4 or 5 future test playing nations?

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
On those teams, I always thought Blewett was a good technician but darned slow- just couldnt dominate.
some of you guys probably know more from watching interstate tournaments- what do you think?

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Yea greg.b was always a good classy player but i have to agree with you he was a bit slow , kinda like dravid slow but technical

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I hope this isn't gonna turn into a Blewy slagging match...

Greg Blewett is the Best Cricket ever to grace this earth....

I dont want to be sweeping floors on people dissin my Blewy....

:D :D :D :D :D

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't make me use the stats file mate!
hehe, but im sure Blewett would have been a regular had he been playing for New Zealand, England and the like.