• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussie Sides!!!

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hmmmm... ok....

I suppose seeings as I have no followers in my "Australia A for the World Cup" campaign, I will have to come to some compromise in this argument.... :)

I still stand by my point that the World Cup is a series to decide which team of individuals is the best in the world - hence, if teams had to qualify the Cricket World Cup, then - most probably - and Australia A side would get in instead to Canada or Nambia etc...

However, I also agree that an Australia vs. Australia A final would be damaging to the game of cricket. Cricket needs to be encouraged as much as possible in these countries for the game to expand and build.

As for my 'Olympics' example - I did realise that the 100 metres sprint was not a team sport ( :rolleyes: ), however, I thought that the analogy (right word there???) proved my point: no matter who you are or where you come from, if you're in the top 8 fastest runners, you have a lane in the final.

Simple. As. That.

[Edited on 7/21/02 by MrPerko]

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can anyone tell me as to how good this new guy Hauritz is ??
I think he looks very good. He has a long way to go in terms of developing his flight but he gives the ball a good tweak and is surprisingly accurate. There's no telling how good he'll be.

As for Blewwy not being successful at Test level, just for pure talent, I'd rate him as highly as anyone playing the game today. Unfortunately, he's been hamstrung in the past by;

not being picked as an opener from the start

being picked as a number 3/opener and expected to bowl quite a bit (tour of India a few years ago).

Being told when he WAS picked as an opener that Michael Slater was 'the attacking one' and he'd have to play more defensively (which, to anyone who saw his destruction of New Zealand in Hobart in a Aust XI match to the tune of 213* from around 180 balls, sounds ridiculous).

So yeah I reckon Blewwy was treated harshly by the Aussie selectors and I would venture to say that most of you guys never saw the best of him.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah you tell them Top Cat...

U won't get any arguing from me...
I have always said Blewy is one of the most technically correct batsman playing the game at the moment...

When in form he has the ability to destroy opposing attacks.. he did have trouble with the spinners at one stage and with the selectors requesting him to bowl so much it took the focus off his batting, but i agree his best position is as an opener....

BLEWY NO.1