• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Sri Lanka start winning overseas?

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
marc71178 said:
I asked about the "unbeatable" SL side prior to the SA series and Asia Cup - when they lost 5 Tests in a row against Aus.
They lost 4 of them, drew the last one.

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
Legglancer said:
Well They lost to Australia 3- 0 at home ..... no comparison in that Australia are far superior to SL ... Having said that thay didnt allow the aussies to have it easy. Thay lost the ODI series to Aussie 3 - 2, Once again Australia were the better team hands down ..... however none of the games were boring one sided jobs ..... the Sri Lankens played good cricket ....

Tell me Mark when did England win a ODI against aussie last ???? 8-)

lol :D :p

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
marc71178 said:
I asked about the "unbeatable" SL side prior to the SA series and Asia Cup - when they lost 5 Tests in a row against Aus.

As mentioned before they drew one and lost 4.....and if u did watch the Ausie in sri lanka series...Sri lanka put australia in quite alot of pressure in the test matches which SL lost. So it wasnt a crap performance by them...(but all in vain becuase they lost)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lanka can win overseas if their current crop of seamers can continue their improvement at home by performing overseas in pitches which will help them more than the spinners. They also need to stick with the current coach who seems to be gradually getting the best out of them and moulding them into a winning and succesful outfit. While Murali will continue to be their lynchpin, particularly in overseas conditions, the success of Zoysa, Malinga etc. and the spinners Chandana, Herath and Lokuarachi and the young age of most of the team are factors that suggest this team is destined for greater achievements in time to come.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
lord_of_darkness said:
^ easily i think Sri Lanka is on the rise aswell.. is jayasuriya near retirement? or does he still have a year or 2?
I take your point. Jayasuriya is nearly at the end. :D But apart from him and Atapattu (who is 34 IIRC), the rest of their batting order are under 30.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jnr. said:
They lost 4 of them, drew the last one.

Oh, my mistake.

That makes them look so much more "unbeatable" then doesn't it?

That actually inspired me to look at their games prior to that - and it wasn't good reading!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sri Lanka have a good chance in the Champions Trophy, but what evidence have we seen that their away Test record is likely to change? One drawn Test in Australia, that's conclusive.
ODIs home and away are much less different, and judging by some of the conditions we've seen in England this season (plus the forecast for September) they're not going to be un-akin to Sri Lankan ones.
If Chaminda and Nuwan bowl well in the English September they've got a good chance, if there are some good spinners we might see them doing well given the amount of turn in Oval, Rose Bowl and Edgbaston wickets this season, and of course Murali is always far more likely than not to do well.
We will see, very shortly.

dude

School Boy/Girl Captain
Langeveldt said:
As in, if my memory serves me correctly the sides that played when SL got hammered in South Africa were similar...

I will agree that SL are on the up, and SA are fading, but Ntini, Pollock and Nel would still cause your guys a load of severe problems on the bouncy South African wickets...
you think malinga,vaas & zoysa wont do the same on bouncy wickets? malinga battered & bruised the SA batsmen on a flat SSC wicket in the 2nd test eh?

dude

School Boy/Girl Captain
Legglancer said:
Well They lost to Australia 3- 0 at home ..... no comparison in that Australia are far superior to SL ... Having said that thay didnt allow the aussies to have it easy. Thay lost the ODI series to Aussie 3 - 2, Once again Australia were the better team hands down ..... however none of the games were boring one sided jobs ..... the Sri Lankens played good cricket ....

Tell me Mark when did England win a ODI against aussie last ???? 8-)

bravo! well said! talking bout how a team was before their winning streak is mere childish! i agree the aussie tour to SL was a very competitive fight., the lankans gave the aussies a good run and all games were very well fought and close and could have gone either way. australia came up trumps cause they are no doubt the number 1 team in the world!

kasra

Cricket Spectator
Why are we always asking the question can sub-continental teams win outside the sub-continent? Shouldn't we also ask the question why can't non-sub-continental teams win in the sub-continent? Australia is the only team that took up the challenge and have succeeded fairly regularly (thanks to Steve Waugh).

Home conditions suit the home side, in SL, India, Aus and SA (with the exception of England). So lets stop applying double standards.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
If Chaminda and Nuwan bowl well in the English September they've got a good chance, if there are some good spinners we might see them doing well given the amount of turn in Oval, Rose Bowl and Edgbaston wickets this season, and of course Murali is always far more likely than not to do well.

Good as he is, even he can't play well when he's not in the squad.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
kasra said:
Shouldn't we also ask the question why can't non-sub-continental teams win in the sub-continent? Australia is the only team that took up the challenge and have succeeded fairly regularly (thanks to Steve Waugh).

What about England under Hussain a couple of years back?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
dude said:
bravo! well said! talking bout how a team was before their winning streak is mere childish!
Even though the winning streak is so short?

They've won the last 1 Test (what a streak that is(!))
Prior to that it's 5 wins out of 22 games (those wins coming against Bangladesh twice, Zimbabwe (post rebels) twice and England.

In ODI - 16 wins out of 17 does tend to disguise the quality of opposition somewhat (5 against a clueless SA side, 5 against the post rebels side, the UAE and Bangladesh ,ake up 12 of them)

Tom Halsey

International Coach
No, because the only bowler they have is Murali (and Vaas on his day) and Murali is not amazingly good when it doesn't turn.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Good as he is, even he can't play well when he's not in the squad.
Not in the squad? Didn't realise that.
Yet another injury that has passed me by.