• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Waughs!!!

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Well after yesterdays aussie sides being announced do u believe Steve and Mark Waughs One Day Careers are over???

The best chance for the Aussie selectors to see whether or not they were still up to the challenge was to send them with the Aussie 'A' side to play the 7(I think) matches against South Africa, but the selectors passed up the chance...

Do u think that there chances of playing for the Aussie One Day side has now fully been extinguished???

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Looks like bleak days are coming for the Aussies.I still can't believe that these guys aren't playing....just like I coudn't understand why Dean Jones was dropped in the early nineties.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
It looks like they are finished. They are great players and I thought they might have been retained to the world cup anyway.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
man Give the waughs another chance !! im such a big fan of them !

Remind the selectors who brought worldcup a few years back to Australia

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
Steve Waugh will make it into the World Cup squad for South Africa, and, after many poor performances from Shane Watson, the selectors will be forced to choose Steve Waugh for the World Cup Final ( :D), in which he will score a magnificent hundred batting at number 7 and take 3 wickets to win the match and the Cup......

... and THEN he'll retire on his own terms.

How good would this scenario be???? :) :)

Kimbo

International Debutant
boy, that is a worry... a man dressed in yellow pajamas holding the world cup...

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah, true Sunil... however, I'm certain that there were 11 guys in the room next to him who would've loved to have traded their green pyjamas for some yellow ones... :P

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Seeing Waugh lift the WC with the "England 99" boarding behind it? Yes, but only on Aussie TV after they try reliving their successful moments after they are annihilated in the Group Stage...

Maybe ;). Well, it's more likely than Waugh batting at 7, making 100 and taking a 3-for...

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
the waugh brothers are fossil now. Mark waugh was past his sell by date a long time ago. steve is almost past it too..

i mean with the kind of batsmen oz has got why would they want to hang on to the waughs ? :I

get real ppl..the selectors of oz are doing a grt job

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
U need experence in the world cup and I am worried by dropping the 2 most experenced guys what will happen. The players that replaced them are good enough but sometimes an older face is needed to link the team together

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I seriously doubt now whether Australia will drop Shane Watson. I've said before that they've put a 'special case' label on his file & Allan Border firmly believes that they are better off stepping forward rather than backwards with Steve Waugh.

Its a tough decision as Steve Waugh & Mark Waugh are still playing very well at their old age and most other countries would probably pick them, don't fry me for this but Australia is bordering on being an ageing team & I think Border is wanting to bring in some of these guys like Watson & Clarke as soon as possible.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
As much as I hate to say it, I think it's all over for the Waugh's. They served the country well but i think it's time to move on.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
i mean with the kind of batsmen oz has got why would they want to hang on to the waughs ?

get real ppl..the selectors of oz are doing a grt job
what !!?! steve waugh was always a good batsmen and a nice bowler , if it wasnt for him the glory of worldcup and other one day records wouldnt be there

The selectors arent even giving the poor guy one Chance !! why dont they try and give him one chance , does that mean the security of warne and mcgrath being in the team is at stake if they dont perform well for 5-6 one dayers ?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't forget that Warne & McGrath are around 32 while the Waughs are 38 now I think.

Thats 6 years difference, I think usually the max. for a cricket player is about 35, so I don't think Warne or McGrath will be dropped for some time unless they get seriously found out.

suchchin

Cricket Spectator
Aus are still a very good team, but without Waugh India will feel more at ease going in the match without having facing them.
I do thing ACB is making a big blunder, atlest Steven should be in the team.Recently Saurav said that he believes Staven will be abck coz dropping him would be crazy!

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I personally think that they are a chance and i think steves best chance is to go as an all rounder, while Mark must hope that Jimmy Maher fails....

Kimbo

International Debutant
Yeah, true Sunil... however, I'm certain that there were 11 guys in the room next to him who would've loved to have traded their green pyjamas for some yellow ones... :P
do you think..? gee, thats a big call, i mean, i would NEVER trade green for canary yellow!

ever!