• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ranatunga hits out at Hayden's remarks

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Waughney said:
Ranatunga hits out, what a surprise. I've come to ignore his comments now.
As I have been ignoring Hayden's comments over these years. Seriously, listening to what both of these guys have to say is just a waste of time.

Dar

School Boy/Girl Captain
The whole argument is stupid as are a lot of comments in this thread. firstly how can you balme Arjuna for speaking up after Hayden made negative comments about not one or two players but the whole subcontinent. Arjuna may be an idiot sometimes but he's sticking up for his country. i think both Hayden and Arjuna are wrong but i can't balme Arjuna for saying something.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
honestbharani said:
As I have been ignoring Hayden's comments over these years. Seriously, listening to what both of these guys have to say is just a waste of time.
Yes, well I'm going to ignore Fleming, Lara, my budgie Cobydick and our milkman WG Singh from now on.

So there. :p

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Newspapers?
I agree and I just checked the source of both the newsreports, both newsreports are reported by PTI which stands for Press Trust of India. PTI is full of idiot journalists who keep asking stupid questions to cricketers to create a controversy. I wont be surprised if all the recent controversies have been started by these fools. There is another such agency called TNN (Times news Network) an equally idiotic group of reporters who work for Times of India.

From now onwards I am going to ignore all reports by PTI and TNN.

Slow Love™

International Captain
The most alarming aspect of all this is that Arjuna's comment is less stupid than the person he's replying to. Has that ever been true before? :)

Best solution to this - Hayden and Ranatunga, naked in a cage, with no weapons. Two men enter, one man leaves.

telsor

U19 12th Man
Bringing Haydens innings at perth into this is beside the point. It's apples and oranges.

Hayden made his comments before a ODI series, and about ODIs..

ie, player X gets to 80 in 120 balls, then, even though it's the last 10 overs and wickets are in hand, plays to get his 100 rather than going for the quick (but risky) runs.

His example confirms this...he was talking about how he and Gilly got 110 in the first 10 overs at the world cup, then got out continuing to push the score along.

I don't think he was entirely right about the reason though..Some selfishness certainly, but I think it also comes down to having faith in your teammates to finish the job if you get out.

I think it's also true that there are several people around ( from most countries ), that are easily prompted into making contraversial statements, and the press isn't reticent about encouraging them.

As for Slow loves's suggestion about a cage match...Hayden would kill him...have you ever seen the guy? He is *huge* and looks to be all muscle..Ranatunga might be huge in his own way:rolleyes:, but I suspect he's got a lot less muscle involved.

Slow Love™

International Captain
telsor said:
As for Slow loves's suggestion about a cage match...Hayden would kill him...have you ever seen the guy? He is *huge* and looks to be all muscle..Ranatunga might be huge in his own way:rolleyes:, but I suspect he's got a lot less muscle involved.
Yeah, but I think you underestimate Ranatunga's willingness to play dirty and go straight for the nuts. Also, God might hold Hayden back.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
Best solution to this - Hayden and Ranatunga, naked in a cage, with no weapons. Two men enter, one man leaves.
arjuna will belly-butt hayden into submission....
:D

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sanz said:
OMG ! Do I see some people crucifying Ranatunga for his statements ? If I am not mistaken most of you were defending Hayden's statement last week. Clearly what did you all expect that Asian Cricketers will come out and defend Hayden's statements that 'Yes we play for personal milestones' :lol:

I think we need more people like Arjuna Ranatunga. Good Job Arjuna.
Yeah the more fat, unfit former players who used to use a runner because they couldn't stop eating bacon rolls in cricket the better in my opinion! :p

THere were some of us on here who didn't believe that simply because you were a cricketer (or former cricketer) you had a valid point. I think you're trying to oversimplify things by suggesting that if people on here agreed with Hayden last week then there's no reason not to agree with Ranatunga this week. Perhaps........perish the thought.......there's people on here that actually agree with Hayden, and disagree with Ranatunga, and that's where you're getting these discrepancies from.

............and no, I wasn't surprised that someone came out and said something, the right to reply is always there and in this case it was always going to be exercised given the nature of Hayden's comments.

Last edited: