• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Inzamam For The Chop

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ have always had to be tactically good to make up for other weaknesses & im sure a few players have learnt alot from Fleming. Captaincy is the least of NZ's problems

Craig

World Traveller
Andre said:
None of them strike me as particularly good options at this stage in their careers.
Vettori has been touted as a future captain of New Zealand.

At this stage any captain would be fill-in.

Craig

World Traveller
Andre said:
I think NZ would too....and SA won't go back to Pollock, so they would also struggle.
Who would captain Jacques Rudolph?

I hardly doubt Kallis will ever captain South Africa.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Not neccesarily Marc! apparently there is a rule only in NZ Cricket that tells a player to retire through injury around the age of 30.

But if Fleming were to be injured tommorow, i'd be more than happy to see Oram or Vettori have a shot. Although at the moment Chris Cairns is the VC & he's done a pretty good job whenever he's been required.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
Not neccesarily Marc! apparently there is a rule only in NZ Cricket that tells a player to retire through injury around the age of 30.

LOL!

In all seriousness though, have any of these names had any experience skippering at any level?

Not sure how much Domestic Cricket they play (if I were the NZ Board, I'd ban them playing anything to avoid injury! ;))

Andre

International Regular
marc71178 said:
LOL!

In all seriousness though, have any of these names had any experience skippering at any level?

Not sure how much Domestic Cricket they play (if I were the NZ Board, I'd ban them playing anything to avoid injury! ;))
I know Oram captains Central Districts - may have even lead NZ 'A' once of twice from memory. For Cairns and especially Vettori, however, I'd imagine it would have been fleeting.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
LOL!

Probably as much as Andrew Flintoff and Steve Harmison play for Lancashire and Durham respectively.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well Cairns has captained Canterbury, NZ 'A', Nottinghamshire & NZ.

Vettori I don't think has captained any side but I think he's capable of giving it a go.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
Well Cairns has captained Canterbury, NZ 'A', Nottinghamshire & NZ.

Vettori I don't think has captained any side but I think he's capable of giving it a go.

Cairns wouldn't be a replacement option though would he as he's no longer in Tests?

Vettori has always struck me as an intelligent cricketer.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Vettori is extremely intelligent. I've read articles about the fact that he knows every historical achievement in cricket since it began, team & individual records etc.
He has huge respect for the game & its traditions & he's well respected among his peers.

It's just unfortunate that he's performed poorly with the ball lately..he's kind of lost his way but hopefully his 5 wicket bag in the Natwest final is a sign of good things to come.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Giving McMillan the captaincy is a disaster waiting to happen...he loses his cool too quickly & someone clever enough could easily get under his skin.