• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tendulkar and County Cricket......

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
I don't buy that....Fleming may have taken Tendulkar more often but then it does not prove a thing.What has happened to all other swing bowlers...say Waqar or Akram or maybe Goughie.

He will lose more then he will gain by playing county cricket in terms of his health and preparedness for the real stuff.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
One more nit...
Actually Fleming has not taken Tendulkar's wicket more often then others....as for the Aussies he is behind McGrath,Gillespie and Warne in test matches and in one day cricket he is tied with McGrath in taking Sachin's wicket.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't buy that....Fleming may have taken Tendulkar more often but then it does not prove a thing.What has happened to all other swing bowlers...say Waqar or Akram or maybe Goughie.
Notice they're all much quicker than Damien? :)

Either way, I wasn't saying he is completely deficient against swing anyway. I was saying that if there is a relative weakness, compared to his play against fast seam bowling and spin bowling, it's swing bowling and with him being the perfectionist he is, I'm sure it'd bother him. Remember him practising against Laxman (not VVS!) before the series against Australia on his play against around-the-wicket leg-spin? It shows he's smart enough to recognise what to work on and to work and work and work.........until he got it right. Someone like Brian Lara would do well to emulate that attitude, rather than rest on his pure talent.

Sachin didn't get where he is purely on natural talent. He has had to work as hard as anyone to get as good as he did. If natural talent was all you needed, someone like Ganguly would be much more successful than he is.

So all I'm saying is that if he were to work on one thing, it would be against medium-fast swing bowling.

He will lose more then he will gain by playing county cricket in terms of his health and preparedness for the real stuff.
That I agree with for sure.

Top_Cat

Actually Fleming has not taken Tendulkar's wicket more often then others....as for the Aussies he is behind McGrath,Gillespie and Warne in test matches and in one day cricket he is tied with McGrath in taking Sachin's wicket.
1. I was referring to one-dayers more than anything. And the main reason Glenn has taken his wicket as much is more due to Glenn having played against him more.

2. You can't compare the bowlers in Tests. How many Tests has Damien played against Sachin? Many fewer than the other three.

3. My observation is based upon what I've seen in the way he plays swing bowlers. Sometimes he has a tendency to go too hard at the ball and open the face of his bat too much, NOT the way to play swing bowling. Having said that, these occurances are rare.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
....My observation is based upon what I've seen in the way he plays swing bowlers. Sometimes he has a tendency to go too hard at the ball and open the face of his bat too much, NOT the way to play swing bowling. Having said that, these occurances are rare.
Yes, I agree that his game against pure swing bowling maybe a little weaker then his batting against plain seam bowling or spin for that matter.

But what I am saying is that by committing himself to a season of county cricket on top of all his international engagements, he will only increase the pressure on his health which he should preserve for the real stuff.I believe that it will do him more harm then good given the packed international calendar these days.

Top_Cat

But what I am saying is that by committing himself to a season of county cricket on top of all his international engagements, he will only increase the pressure on his health which he should preserve for the real stuff.I believe that it will do him more harm then good given the packed international calendar these days.
And I said I agree. Geez, do I have to spell it out fer ya or somethin'. :D

You and me = agree!!!!!

:D

Besides, his game against swing bowling is still as solid as most players out there. Probably the best swing bowling technique is displayed by Mark Waugh. Such soft hands..........