• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dimitri Mascarenhas

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
methinks it is a disgrace that he is left out of the england team in place of players like rikki clarke and anhtony mcgrath.

although it is very pleasing to see the return of vikram solanki and the exodus of ian blackwell who is a complete failure and shud never be picked again.

Bas

Cricket Spectator
I actually agree with you, what did they see in Rikki Clarke. Blackwell was crap as well but you can understand why they picked him, he was a big hitter who bowled spin but c'mon Rikki Clarke? Masceranas is decent but i don't know how he'd fair in international cricket but yes way better than clarke, balckwell, mcgrath etc.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Well if Rikki Clarke is persisted with, you might as well pick someone like Mo Mowlem (or Keith Chegwin).. SO Blackwell gets in easily, as does Neil Pickup, and a few ducks, and a rebirth for the Nawab of Pataudi (snr.)...

On a serious note, I don't think Dimi Mas was even in the ICC 30?? I remember this stunning Shane Warne.. Enough said.. And I am not even going to leave a question mark after that...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The fact that none of Mascarenhas, Killeen and Martin-Jenkins have been considered for ODI-cricket is appallingly poor selection.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fair player & all, but as a potential England international says "mate" rather too much for my liking!

& there can't be too many who list Aussie Rules as their favourite sport (according to Sky's 20/20 coverage anyway). :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How on Earth can typical vocabulary and favourite sport say anything about a player's ability and likely success or otherwise?
That's ludicrous.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Richard said:
How on Earth can typical vocabulary and favourite sport say anything about a player's ability and likely success or otherwise?
That's ludicrous.
I was merely pointing out that he's quite obviously an Aussie. 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, so?
Allan Lamb's a South African, Robin Smith's a South African, Nasser Hussain's an Indian, Craig White's an Australian.
It doesn't matter - all that matters is that they're good cricketers and they want to and do play for England!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Richard said:
Yeah, so?
Allan Lamb's a South African, Robin Smith's a South African, Nasser Hussain's an Indian, Craig White's an Australian.
It doesn't matter - all that matters is that they're good cricketers and they want to and do play for England!
I think Nasser would disagree quite strongly. He may be Indian-born, but he is on record as saying he considers himself "100% English".

Craig White is Austalian-raised, but insists his loyalties have always been with the country of his birth.

As for Smith & Lamb, SA were excluded from Tests when they qualified for England. If SA hadn't been, would they have played for us? I don't know the answer, BTW, but it's a factor one should consider.

I tend to think Mascarenhas would be flying a flag of convenience. England may even be his third choice of country.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Basil D'Oliveira would unquestionably have played for South Africa had he had the chance but I don't think anyone would dispute that he gave his all to England when given the chance.
Mascarenhas is Russian the way Di Venuto is Italian. If those countries played cricket, maybe they'd play for them.
As it is, they're both Australian - Di Venuto has managed to get into not just Tasmania but Australia's side. Mascarenhas hasn't, he's come and played for Hants instead, just like Robin Smith, and we all know what a player Robin Smith turned-out to be, for England, for whom he was unquestionably committed whatever his home circumstances were and however he ended-up playing for us.
If Mascarenhas was picked, I don't doubt he'd do his best for England.

Craig

World Traveller
Langeveldt said:
On a serious note, I don't think Dimi Mas was even in the ICC 30?? I remember this stunning Shane Warne.. Enough said.. And I am not even going to leave a question mark after that...
Or is it because they both play for the same county?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Langeveldt said:
isn't it greek? Mascarenhas certianly sounds greek...
I think the name Mascarenhas is actually Portuguese, but Portuguese names are common in Sri Lanka (such as Fernando, de Silva, Dias etc.) because it was a colony of Portugal for a while (I think).

Dmitri, however, is definitely Russian. How weird.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
Fair player & all, but as a potential England international says "mate" rather too much for my liking!

& there can't be too many who list Aussie Rules as their favourite sport (according to Sky's 20/20 coverage anyway). :D
Tee hee.

I listened to Tuffers last night - and he had Adam Hollioake in the studio.

What a riveting conversation THAT was - worthy of DD

<quack> watch it

How'd it go, DD?

<quack>

Verbatim:

<Tuffers> Oight, Ollyock?
<Adam> Oight Tuffers. Yersel?
<Tuffers> Oight. Wot chadoing now yer a 'man of leisure'?
<Adam> Keepin' busy - benefit season, mate - rannin arahnd, Bob's yer Ankle.
<Tuffers> Playin' that there Twennytwenny nex' year, are yah then innit?
<Adam> Nah! Gor blimey Charlie mate - got some beer to swill nah. You still keepin fit - saw you ap the jangle in that telly program...
<Tuffers> Wot - me? Leave it aht. I dun even ran arfter a curry nah, mate.
<Adam> Oi. Goin ap the Palace nex' week?
<Tuffers> Dunnoe. Let's bring Judgie in ere. Oi, Judgie. Am I, or am I not, goin' ap the Palace nex' week?
<Robin> Ah kennut say fur certain, but in all prrrrrubability ah should say thet ah wouild hef picked Ellan Lemb fer the tour of Seth Efrika