Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Channel 4's UK cricket coverage

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar

Channel 4's UK cricket coverage

I want to get some people's views on this after watching the C&G Final today - C4's coverage is good but I feel it needs some work.

Nicholas - intolerably smug, not funny - get him off my screen!!
    Atherton - insightful, knowledgeable, funny.
    Reeve - insightful, but not v funny, ineloquent, thinks he is capable of very astute judgements but they normally fall flat.
    Boycott - straight-talking, knowledgeable, yet slightly out of touch with the modern game.
    Benaud - genius.
    Hughes - the Analyst is more insightful than anyone else, and his shirts are always a source of amusement.
    This summer's "opposition" commentator, Ian Bishop - insightful, eloquent and a clear head amidst West Indian confusion.

And the two new additions for today's game:
    Graham Thorpe - uneasy behind the mic, but some good quips and fairly knowledgeable, a good start.
    Nick Knight - comfortable, calm, knowledgeable and a sure bet to head to the "combox" when he retires in a few years.

The montage at the end of the show showing "out-takes" and highlights from this summer to the tune of Mambo No.5 was great - the bit where Michael Vaughan tried to throw his bat up and spin it round but dropped it, plus the interview out-takes from Matthew Hoggard and Steve Harmison were great. Also good to see Freddie's taunting of Tino Best before he got out at Lord's - priceless.

Thoughts?

International Debutant SpaceMonkey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble

Thoughts?
    God. Damn. Stupid. Horse Racing.

I rest my case.

Bas
    Cricket Spectator
    I hate Simon Hughes. I can't see the point in him sitting in his little office like a nerd and pointing out stuff he could easily say in the commentary box as a normal commentator. Some of his points are good but he doesn't need the label "the analyst" like a loser. I actually don't mind Mark Nicholas

International Coach
    Nicholas is an idiot.

I don't know how he ever got into the 'combox' because he doesn't know a thing, and his voice is annoying, and he is an idiot.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

School Boy/Girl Captain
    I love SA tours to England, your commentators are so entertaining. I don't even listen to the TV guys most times, Test Match Special does it for me. Blower's and the chaps waffling over Mrs. Johnson's Chocolate cake, brilliant. David Lloyd's & Micheal Holding are good as well on TV, but I think they're on SKY, not 4.

Usually SA's a bit drab these days. Supersport's commentators are so anonymous I can't even remember their names. Robin Jackman adds some spice, Jack Bannister used to come down, but not so much any more. Haysey's good, but he can't do it on his own, his handbags at 20m with Aamir Sohail last year was tops. Gerald de Kock's good as well, I don't know why he's not on TV more. The less said about the 'analysis' the better. Start of the day, 10 mins talking about the day/match before, a pitch report, another 10 regurgitating whatever the commentators said the day before, and 5 minutes at the end of play's about it. 'Expert' analysis from John Doe, who was reserve keeper for Transvaal 'C' in 1984 and now coaches the Tukkies 'B' team or someone just as qualified.

For rain delays, let's just show yesterdays whole day again. We used to show highlights from previous test series, have music video packages, track down players for interviews, etc. Nothing like that nowadays.

Navjot Sidhu & Geoff Boycott would be my dream teamup.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
    God. Damn. Stupid. Horse Racing.

I rest my case.
    It was worse on the Beeb.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    There a number of areas where Channel 4 have improved in leaps and bounds over the last year with respect to their cricket coverage, and I feel that Mark Nicholas is one of them. I used to hate listening to him - he really was what watching the tv with the sound turned off and TMS playing on the radio was made for, but with the advent of satellite communication and things being out of synch now by a second or more, that no longer works.

Last year, Dermot was little short of an idiot on occasions - or should that be "On occasions last year, Dermot was a little short idiot" - yes, that's better - and has improved somewhat.

I like Boyks - but that's probably because I agree with just about everything he says (Yes, Barney - I'm probably out of touch myself too).

Horse-racing is a denture-gnasher, and is almost as unforgivable as last year's Hollyoaks repeat which they went to after a test match went past 6.00 (and no, it was nothing to do with Adam or the late Ben) - luckily I have satellite so Film4 comes in handy.

Getting better, but still massive room for improvement.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

U19 Debutant
    Benaud is the most boring commentator i have ever seen.He talks about the 1940s half the time and the other half about bradman.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity

Evil

reeve need s to be sacked

i belive that boycot tmust take over full time and be supported by mike gatting and phil tuffnell.

and of course we will have no room for the likes of benuad he is not interlecctual enough

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity

Evil

reeve need s to be sacked

i belive that boycot tmust take over full time and be supported by mike gatting and phil tuffnell.

mr boycott will be accompanied by his good friends michael parkinson and dickie bird for an excellent dsplau

Breakout Champion!
    I like channel 4. All they need is some more northeners, hopefully starting with Bumble.

Pinball Champion!
    Athers - A bit dour, although talks a good game
    Nicholas - Pompous, Tries to hard, over exuberant, attention seeking.. Get off my screen.. You can't stay on when soo many people dislike you, you tw**...
    Boycott, Bishop - Two quality commentators who's time would be far better spent at a proper sports broadcasting outfit like Sky..
    Reeve - Not a fan, can't really lay a finger on why though
    Benaud - He would be a very bland boring commentator if it wasn't for the nouse gained over the decades.

Come back beeeb, all is forgiven

And as for the highlights packages...

Really hope Supersport is aired in the UK when the SA tour is, and not a C4 mission..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Quote Originally Posted by steds
    I like channel 4. All they need is some more northeners, hopefully starting with Bumble.
    Bumble is my leader.

The coverage Sky did from Blackpool last year (when Ed Smith went ballistic) was utterly wonderful - Bumble on the pier, narrating 'The Lion and Albert'.

For those of you who used to be fans of DD's column (which WILL be returning I hasten to add) - here's what I wrote about it at the time.... (second piece)

Credit Where Credit's Due

Pinball Champion!
    Bumble is incredibly funny... Did anyone watch the Twenty20 finals day where he was doing the "mascot race"?

"EEE, EEE' werre is one ov em'' aaah thaats right 'ees run off wi' one of the Npower girls!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Bumble is incredibly funny... Did anyone watch the Twenty20 finals day where he was doing the "mascot race"?

"EEE, EEE' werre is one ov em'' aaah thaats right 'ees run off wi' one of the Npower girls!!"
    And the cheating filthy dirty scum Surrey mascot 'Lord Moneybags' (aka Rikki Clarke) was disqualified. Great day.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information