• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Channel 4's UK cricket coverage

Swervy

International Captain
Arjun said:
PREFERRED COMMENTARY PANEL:
Alan Wilkins
Bob Willis
Robin Jackman
Michael Holding
Tony Greig
Dean Jones
Mike Haysman
Ian Botham
Harsha Bhogle
David Lloyd
Ravi Shastri
Geoffrey Boycott
David Gower
Navjot Singh Sidhu
Martin Crowe
Ranjit Fernando
Rameez Raja
Sunil Gavaskar
Richie Benaud
Mark Taylor

Or a mix of the best of ESPNSTAR, Channel 4 and Sky Sports.
wot no Ian Healy or Ian Smith??

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Preferred Commentary Panel

David Lloyd
Paul Allot
Geofrey Boycott
Graham Fowler
Ray Illingworth
Mike Atherton
Paul Collingwood
...northerners are so better than everyone else
Michael Holding
Richie Benaud

tooextracool

International Coach
Arjun said:
Alan Wilkins
it must be said that he isnt an actual commentator in the first place.....more like presenter.

Arjun said:
Mike Haysman
really?

Arjun said:
the last time i watched espnstar(which was the asia cup) i thought it was bloody stupid. shastri was trying to be a comic for unknown reasons, gavaskar was his usual biased self and really only slater came out with any sort of respect.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Isnt there some big 'gangbang' (specially for steds) going on over the TV rights to indian cricket atm? Something about ESPN not being to happy that they have given it to ZEE?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
superkingdave said:
Isnt there some big 'gangbang' (specially for steds) going on over the TV rights to indian cricket atm? Something about ESPN not being to happy that they have given it to ZEE?
I think the Indian team are actually in the gangbang and Hayden has said that they're notorious for slowing down their rate when there's between 90-100 people in the room, preferring instead to go for personal milestones. Apparently the Australian team don't do it like this, they like to speed up if there's more people in the room, accelerating all the time until the team has reached its goal.

It's been stated in some areas that this may just be a bit of gamesmanship by Hayden to put the Indian team off their stride.

(Disclaimer: While these comments are my own, thus defeating the purpose of having a disclaimer at the end in the first place, I wish to add that I do not mean this to be taken badly by supporters of the Indian team. It is simply a (possibly poor) attempt at humour regarding the big stink there was about Hayden's comments etc a few weeks back - I am not having a go at anyone from anywhere.)

P.S: It's 1am here so you'll have to excuse the non-sensical nature of some of my posts, but on the upside I myself am having a ball! :p

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Langeveldt said:
Ah, give me a break.......this is like "Humour Idol", it was no worse than the incredibly exciting "can you think of a players name that starts with the letter this one ends with" thread - possibly only because that was only one post though - I took a 5 minute break from the stats..........Simply having a bit of fun on a late night, you can choose to ignore it and go on with life.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Arjun said:
PREFERRED COMMENTARY PANEL:
Alan Wilkins
Bob Willis
Robin Jackman
Michael Holding
Tony Greig
Dean Jones
Mike Haysman
Ian Botham
Harsha Bhogle
David Lloyd
Ravi Shastri
Geoffrey Boycott
David Gower
Navjot Singh Sidhu
Martin Crowe
Ranjit Fernando
Rameez Raja
Sunil Gavaskar
Richie Benaud
Mark Taylor

I would rather have Jeremy Cooney instead of Martin Crowe anyday of the week.

This guy knows his stuff, and IMO is quite frankly under-rated as a commentator.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
the last time i watched espnstar(which was the asia cup) i thought it was bloody stupid. shastri was trying to be a comic for unknown reasons, gavaskar was his usual biased self and really only slater came out with any sort of respect.
Look at the thread "Shaz, Waz and all that jazz" to read comments about what we all think of it. Excet for that stupid mid-innings show and his unflinching support for that little all-rounder excuse, he's a good commentator. Gavaskar is not really biased- he is just too technical. Good to see Boycott back.

As I said earlier, they're a pain in the neck. I have no idea of what Zee will offer, but I hope it is something serious. The work of ESPNSTAR is preferred, and we know it well, though now they too are becoming increasingly irritating. The rights should have gone to DD, since they're local and charge little, or Ten, since they're more serious.

pskov

International 12th Man
My top commentary team of 8 would be:

David Lloyd
Geoffry Boycott
Michael Slater
Ian Botham
Micheal Holding
David Gower
Sunil Gavaskar
Nasser Hussain

I find that these commentators all show good tactical insight when with the mic (yes, even Lloyd sometimes ;)) and can mess around and make jokes also.

I do not like the Channel 4 coverage at all. Boycott is the only decent commentator they have (Richie Benaud hardly ever talks tactics anymore, Atherton puts me to sleep and Nicholas is an abnoxious idiot) and I don't see the point of using Simon Hughes 'The Analyst' for things that they could quite easily do in the com box.

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
pskov said:
and I don't see the point of using Simon Hughes 'The Analyst' for things that they could quite easily do in the com box.
He'd be out of a job, otherwise :p

Dar

School Boy/Girl Captain
For some reason i can't stand Hussain as a commentator, i don't know why but he seems to always annoy me.

I don't particularly hate Nicholas, he has a passion for the game. Just don't ever watch highlights on channel four cos they're awful and Nicholas is extra annoying on them