• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Umpires fix matches?

NikhilN

International Regular
Do you think umpires are given money for giving not outs outs, and outs not outs???

I think it is true.Take today for ex. ok I admit Inzi was kinda hard to give a decision to but what about Youhana??? I mean if you cant tell that is not out you need to get your eyes checked.

What are your views?

imranrabb

U19 Debutant
inzamams dismissal was hard but it clearly shows itmissed the bat.Youhanas however missed by a mile and the guy shepard put his hand up straight away

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
imranrabb said:
inzamams dismissal was hard but it clearly shows itmissed the bat.Youhanas however missed by a mile and the guy shepard put his hand up straight away
You have to appreciate that this tournament was played in Amsterdam - perhaps Shep had been on the Northern Light?.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
imranrabb said:
news just in shepard is blind
That's why they have sheepdogs.

So that's Venkat, Shep, Simon, Billy, Bucknor, Harper and Hair who have upset one member or another in the last year or so.

Looks like a busy time ahead for Jeremy Lloyds, Rudy Koertzen and Aleem Dar.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
far out... this is the biggest excuse ive heard for the aussies winning. im not saying they werent lucky, but the played better anyway. and davo DOESNT fix you tool.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Overly harsh words there, Neil.

I do think corruption in the umpiring world is highly unlikely, but that Youhanna decision was an outrage.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
a massive zebra said:
Overly harsh words there, Neil.

I do think corruption in the umpiring world is highly unlikely, but that Youhanna decision was an outrage.
One thing no-one's mentioned...

if the decision was such an outrage (in other words, the implication is such that it was obvious), why was there an appeal? Does this implicate the fielding side as people who would knowingly take advantage of a situation knowing full well that what they were suggesting had in fact NOT happened?

In other words, if the umpire was incompetent (which appears on here to be an 'at best' opinion today) are the Aussies in taking advantage of such a pitiful old man who dances a little jig on occasion, clearly making an exhibition of himself in front of thousands, just a bunch of skullduggerous, contemptible cheats?

<quack> do you really want an answer?

Dar

School Boy/Girl Captain
I always considered Shephard to be the best umpire in the world but he really let me down with that Aus-Pak game. i suspect he is good at lbw decisions but not caught behind. I still think he's the best its just a shame his two worst decision proved to be so crucial.

a10khan

School Boy/Girl Captain
Nnanden said:
far out... this is the biggest excuse ive heard for the aussies winning. im not saying they werent lucky, but the played better anyway. and davo DOESNT fix you tool.
they dint play better then pak. pak had the upper hand most of the game be it batting or bowling. yes australia fielded better then pak. but aussies batters were much more troubled by pak bowlers. pak batters handled the pitch n aussie bowlers pretty well. aussies were plain lucky to win the game coz they did nothing to deserved it. not to mention the lbw of hayden that was not given early on. that one was goin straight on. 2 bad decisions by shepherd uncle, n yousuf youhana r the reasons aussies won. simple.

so, aussies played better?? my a$$...

a10khan

School Boy/Girl Captain
Shehpherd apologizes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i found this on bobby's website, www.bobwoolmer.com!

REPLY BY: BOB, (29 Aug 2004, 11h01:01)
Hi Eunice,
There are two aspects that must be mentioned, often a poor surface can be a leveller, however saying that I felt we should have won this game comfortably. But I am always a little wary.
Interestingly David Shepherd came up to me this morning and apologised. My reply was simple, until the players are all played to play the game in a gentlemany way, ie walk when you know you have hit it, (To me there is no difference between hitting the ball in the air to mid-off or edging the ball to the keeper) then they have to accept the rough with the smooth!.I do believe that we are on the right track however.
BW Bob

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dar said:
I still think he's the best its just a shame his two worst decision proved to be so crucial.

I agree - that 2001 Test was a shocker, cost England a series win.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
a10khan said:
2 bad decisions by shepherd uncle, n yousuf youhana r the reasons aussies won. simple.

So Youhana running 2 men out, and Razzaq's lack of discipline are irrelevant then?

Of course they are, because that would mean the team having to take some of the flak.