• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Current Captain?

DocHead

School Boy/Girl Captain
Vaughn's #2, I think it's Stephen Flemming by a country mile. He can get that NZ team doing things it has no right to do.

Pre-NZ and Sri-Lanka I'd have put Smith in #3, but he's slipping into that regimented way of thinking so common for SA captains of late. Although, that being said, even the best laid plans'll fail if the rub isn't going your way I guess. The current #3 would be Marvin Attapattu.

I don't rate Ponting too highly as a captain, even the Amoeba Boys could guide the current Aussie team to top spot. Might be interesting to see him captain a team without top, top players in almost every postion. Good player though, don't get me wrong.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I really looked forward to Fleming conducting a master-class this summer, but as Marc intimated, much of his powder was far from dry so I won't write him off just yet. Most of the time he seemed to be wringing his hands when his team were looking for a little inspiration - well, that was the impression I was given anyway.

Vaughan has demonstrated that he is an astute skipper, eager to learn, seldom making the same mistake twice in the longer version of the game (when, to be fair, you can plan a long-term strategy session by session). Now for a little ODI improvement, eh?

Graeme Smith looked to have all the smarts at the start of last summer's tour of England, but seemed to fall apart at the end (Flintoff can undo anyone's plans in an hour though, to be fair).

Lara has never really done it for me.

Ponting remains in Steve Waugh's shadow - but it's very difficult to judge any Australian captain when the team is so strong it seems to captain itself on occasion.

Ganguly is someone who commands massive respect from some quarters and derision from others - but I like the guy's demeanour and the way he handles his team.

Inzy? See Lara.

I'm ignoring Atapattu, Taibu and Bashar.

Ganguly for me then, with Vaughan / Ponting / Fleming / Smith close behind. Or ahead.
I don't know. Ask someone else.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Fleming is a good captain, but there's only so much he can do. The bowlers & to some extent injuries let him down big time in England.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
Fleming easily. He is the longest serving captain, and his reputation has been earned.

Vaughan? Please.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I didn't initially rate Vaughan as a Captain but I think this test run England are building deserves high praise. Im not quite sold on his ODI captaincy as yet though.

Waughney

International Debutant
Ponting has to be up there, he puts in the hard yards with his players (eg. bowls tirelessly in the nets) and leads from the front. He is also up there tactically and devises good plans by himself, with administrators and his fellow players.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Waughney said:
he puts in the hard yards with his players (eg. bowls tirelessly in the nets)
He does? :blink: Don't the other captains?

Last edited:

Waughney

International Debutant
Jnr. said:
He does? :blink: Don't the other captains?
I'm not sure, but Ponting does a fair bit of work. Read his world cup diary and you'll discover his commitment.

Last edited:

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
I don't have anything against his captaincy, I just don't think he is in Fleming's league. He might well be in a few years time. I just believe these things take time.

No doubt England are playing well in tests at the moment, but I'm not sure his captaincy is a main reason.

He captained England well against NZ in the tests (I haven't been able to watch any other games, so I can't comment on them), but I didn't see any reason to get excited about his captaincy, or Fleming's for that series.

In the ODIs it was a bit different, Fleming had no need to do anything out of the ordinary since NZ won so easily, and Vaughan has his own problems in ODIs to worry about. It must be difficult to captain the team when you are under pressure for your place.