• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Current Captain?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Why not?

He's not afraid to try something different (as shown by some of his fields)
He's English, Marc, and every captain we've had since Peter May is hopeless (including - and especially - Brearley).

Besides, the only reason that England have won games is that the opposition has been hopeless - New Zealand especially so because even the illustrious Fleming couldn't save them from humiliation.

(bitch over)

Anyway, I'm going on holiday next week to St Austell (just booked it) - and they've got LAWN DARTS so I just don't care about anything any more. Woo hoo.

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
marc71178 said:
Why not?

He's not afraid to try something different (as shown by some of his fields)
but still he is NOT the best... all captains TRY to do something different.

Eclipse

International Debutant
delkap said:
Fleming, Ganguly, Ponting in that order ...
Ganguly does not deserve to be rated that highly simpily because he is a shocking tactition and cant set an example in the feild if his life depended on it.

he has other strengths and overall is the best man for the job but he is not in the top 3.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I tend to disagree, while a captain has to set an example in the field, he also has to set an example in the dressing room and with the media. Ganguly gives the sense that he wants to win and will stop at nothing to ensure it. The Indian side has definately improved since he became captain.

Fleming is the best for mine, he is astute, good in the field, handles the media well and obviously thinks things through thoroughly (sp).

I was never a great fan of Ponting, but he looks like he is developing well into the job, while he has only had five test in charge, all against Sri Lanka, the Indian tour will test his muscle as a captain. What will he do when Warne is being smacked to every region of India and McGrath in penetrating, that will be the test of his captaincy skills.

I like the look of Vaughan as a captain, he has a positive attitude, it also helps that he has players who are capable of turning in a victory for his team.

I've never rated Smith as a captain, I don't think he is anywhere near the best.

Attapatu has only just started, and can't be judged IMO.

Lara is utter crap, no invention, nothing. Just run of the mill stuff.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Mind you..compare Fleming to Smith when Fleming was the same age. Fleming hardly set the world on fire initially, it hasn't been until around 2001 that he's come into his own.

Smith is a tough character & I think if the South African selectors keep faith in him, he'll become a very good leader.

Deja moo

International Captain
Sultan Zarwani anyone ?

I mean displaying fearlessness and courage in facing Donald without a helmet....
If only his team mates had been so fearless......er , I mean stupid.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Lara is unfortunate that he's captaining at a time where the West Indies are introducing alot of younger players & alot of senior players aren't really stepping up to the plate..so I can understand he's got an extremely difficult job that I doubt many others would want.

Having said that..if he was a brilliant Captain he might have got his players to play above themselves more often. He's certainly not rubbish anyway...I think he's always had the potential, but I think during the early/mid ninties when the West Indies suffered an exodus of their former greats, Lara was possibly forced into the Captaincy a little too soon & he's never been able to recover.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
Smith is a tough character & I think if the South African selectors keep faith in him, he'll become a very good leader.

Provided the players that are coming through are at the same standard that the players of the past 4 or 5 years were at.

I have my doubts about that, and think I know what is to blame for it.

masterblaster

International Captain
Ganguly has improved somewhat tactically over the years. He was a very weak tactician when he started, but he's grown and definitely the strategy part of his game has improved immensly.

Plus to have guys like John Wright, Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid and Anil Kumble providing strategies and tactics, I think Ganguly overall has done alright lately.

I do know however that Ganguly does get bogged down a lot under extreme pressure (World Cup 2003 Final), but in the face of general adversity he's a good man to have in the side as he never gives in.

Say what you will about him, he's got a great attitude towards Indian Cricket.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Firmly agree, Ganguly has been great for Indian cricket. The way he stood up to Steve Waugh on Australia's last tour of India proves that.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
In defence of Lara, he is inventive - he's tried almost everything to get something out of that team, it's just not his fault they're, well, pretty useless.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Hmmm....current I'd say Attapattu and possibly Fleming. The way Attapattu manages his team having only two real stars amazes me at times. I don't care what anybody says about Inzy, i think he's done a good job as well, and given enough time, I think everyone here will realize that truth as well. Ganguly is a good captain as well, but his team is lost without Tendulkar.

Now, off-topic, i think Imran Khan is probably the best captain of all time. In his ten years+ of captaincy, he played his good and bad players as a team, something most captains are unable to do successfully, IMO.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd like to see Attapattu captain S.L without Murali abroad though. He's going to get that test most likely against NZ in December.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Tim said:
I'd like to see Attapattu captain S.L without Murali abroad though. He's going to get that test most likely against NZ in December.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he already do that in Aus? He didn't do too bad a job either...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Indeed he did. But I think it'll be a tougher challenge on the seaming tracks in NZ. But I think on their current form, Sri Lanka might be up for it.