• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ear Wax - Legal Or Illegal?

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have managed to reshine an old old ball by using beeswax designed for doing something or other to leather shoes in the past. Earwax would have the same effect, just it's not hugely hygenic.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Have managed to reshine an old old ball by using beeswax designed for doing something or other to leather shoes in the past. Earwax would have the same effect, just it's not hugely hygenic.
But I wouldnt imagine spitting on the ball is either.

In fact Id be interested in which is nastier. Ear wax or saliva?

As for legality, it appears ok. But then pooping on one side of the ball also seems within the rules so a degree of common sense is needed.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
But I wouldnt imagine spitting on the ball is either.

In fact Id be interested in which is nastier. Ear wax or saliva?

As for legality, it appears ok. But then pooping on one side of the ball also seems within the rules so a degree of common sense is needed.
The former by miles. Most of us will have exchanged saliva with someone else at some point, but I can't even stand my own earwax. It's evil.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah but you can catch diseases and viruses through other people's saliva, does earwax do this? I think this might be what Goughy is getting at.

Must say this might be the strangest thing I have ever discussed here at CW.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah but you can catch diseases and viruses through other people's saliva, does earwax do this? I think this might be what Goughy is getting at.

Must say this might be the strangest thing I have ever discussed here at CW.
Ha, that never even occurred to me! Just went for the "what's worse to put in your mouth" angle. Orally fixated, me. :ph34r:

Imagine that's why there's a designated shiner in most teams; god knows what you might catch from Warne or Ponting... :ph34r:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The former by miles. Most of us will have exchanged saliva with someone else at some point, but I can't even stand my own earwax. It's evil.
Im talking from a disease and bad things POV.

Id imagine saliva carries far worse things.

Burt Bacharach never wrote lyrics about catching things from earwax :dry:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Look, if you're carrying around enough ear wax to have any realistic effect on the ball, your personal hygeine habits are mud anyway, and your ears would be so blocked up you wouldn't be able to hear your team mates say "Put some wax on the pill mate" anyway.

bryce

International Regular
Haha yea, maybe a selection criterium which takes into account ear wax production rates

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
you must go see a doctor tho if you have enough ear wax to work on a normal sized cricket ball mind!...unless you collected it over time and went out with it in your pocket! :p
I assume the gentleman in question (Rob K who started this thread) did visit a doctor and never came back or so it looks. Or maybe he was disappointed at his initial attempts to test market his "ear-wax" on this site.

Wonder where he is now and what happened to all that wax :huh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, I remember this thread! Nice-ish dig. Just goes to show how ludicrous this mints thing is - I wonder how many people will be complaining when someone develops some form of eardrops to create especially good earwax?

You can't turn the clock back after all.