• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rebels Return, well only 3

Loony BoB

International Captain
I wonder if they did it because they couldn't manage to find contracts elsewhere. Sad state of affairs, if you ask me, although I don't think any of the major senior players will ever return now, so this may be Zimbabwe doing all they can. All that stuff that's been going on will leave too many grudges within the side to carry on.

Until Zimbabwe are free of their strong political connections within their cricket board, the team will remain to me as just another branch of the political regime.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I really do think that Barney Rogers and Gavin Ewing will help that team quite a bit.

Ive seen them both, and I think they both have great potential.

Its only a matter of them actually getting picked and getting a game now.

Andre

International Regular
Well, they've both been horribly out of their depth in international cricket - but that would probably help the Zimbabwean side.

Langeveldt

Soutie
luckyeddie said:
If they can live with their consciences, so be it
What conscience? earning a (well personally)honest dollar while representing your country?

Setting up an apolitical ZCU in modern Zimbabwe would be like trying to set up a crackhouse in a police station...

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
What conscience? earning a (well personally)honest dollar while representing your country?

Setting up an apolitical ZCU in modern Zimbabwe would be like trying to set up a crackhouse in a police station...
Yes, our local police are a bit like that as well.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Barney Rogers has looked alright in ODIs at times, and Gavin Ewing has a FC record that envies many of the rebel players'.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I really wish someone had offered Gavin Ewing, at least, a contract.
IMO he could be a better batsman than Blignaut and Ervine, both of whom have been signed-up in Australia.
WRT the break-ranks, it's a shame, but still, it won't alter the strength of the Zimbabwean team.
All the best players (Streak, Grant Flower, Price, Blignaut, Ervine) have got themselves proper employment and don't need to go back to Zimbabwe until it's a decent place again.
And IMO the few of them go back to playing international cricket until the political situation improves, the better. Hopefully Zimbabwe might be suspended indefinately once it becomes clear the situation hasn't improved.

Craig

World Traveller
Richard said:
I really wish someone had offered Gavin Ewing, at least, a contract.
IMO he could be a better batsman than Blignaut and Ervine, both of whom have been signed-up in Australia.
WRT the break-ranks, it's a shame, but still, it won't alter the strength of the Zimbabwean team.
All the best players (Streak, Grant Flower, Price, Blignaut, Ervine) have got themselves proper employment and don't need to go back to Zimbabwe until it's a decent place again.
And IMO the few of them go back to playing international cricket until the political situation improves, the better. Hopefully Zimbabwe might be suspended indefinately once it becomes clear the situation hasn't improved.
Blignaut and Ervine were signed as all-rounders, not batsmen.

What has happened to Stuart Carlise, a fine player indeed (for Zimbabwe at the very least).

Langeveldt

Soutie
Craig said:

What has happened to Stuart Carlise, a fine player indeed (for Zimbabwe at the very least).
presumably rebelling and hasnt found a contract elsewhere?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:

It's a shame neither he nor Wishart have managed to find employment in South Africa, they're both good players as far as I've always been concerned.

Waughney

International Debutant
Carlisle is a decent player and I beleive he would be able to scrape together a contract somewhere, I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up with one soon (if he hasn't already got one)

Last edited: