• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is the First Ever Test Match You Remember?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The first test I remember was when I was a young chappie, about 4 or 5 and Dad took me to the 'Gabba to see Australia v New Zealand, I actually can't remember what happened (game wise) but I remember the crowd chanting - "Hadlee Sux, Hadlee Sux." Then I asked Dad "Why are the crowd asking about Hadlee's socks?"

Don

State Vice-Captain
im not sure if im correct but the first test i rember was australia vs west indies in the oval.i remember the hot sun me in an armless jersey and falling asleep while eating a roti.
this im not so sure about.but i kno it happend at some game.
i remember my dad and uncle after the game going over to mervin dillon and introducing me.

howardj

International Coach
My first Test Match that I can remember was Aust v NZ back in 1986. We were up at Rainbow Beach playing beach cricket and had the Test Match going on the radio. It was that match where Mike Whitney managed to bat out the last few overs to secure a draw, which saw us retain the Trans Tasman trophy. The fact that we all cheered when he managed this feat, serves to underline just how pathetic the Aussie team was back in the mid-1980's!

nibbs

International Captain
my first memories are of the 1992 world cup. the first test match i can remember was probably the 1993/93 series against pakistan. i started playing cricket at the end of 1992 i think.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
1965, England v South Africa, Trent Bridge.

A Graeme Pollock ton (which kept me happy), A Colin Cowdrey ton (which made my father delirious), 10 wickets in the game from Peter Pollock - I'd only been into cricket a week or two too. The game ended in 4 days on the Monday - in those days, Sunday was a rest day.

delkap

State Vice-Captain
The earliest test series I remember is when Eng toured India in 1993. I remember spinners cleaning them up, and Kambli's double ton. I vaguely remember India's tour of Aus in 91 and SA in 92/93 but not very well. Also some recollection of WC91 in ODI's especially the two Ind lost due to the stupidest rain rule ever.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
DocHead said:
That's the first match I remember as well. I was totally confused at the end......
SA had more runs than India, the scores weren't level, whad'ya mean it's a DRAW?

5 days and no result????

Just lately, I've been hoping for just that sadly. Ag n'er mind, we're gonna beat India *in India* Woohoo! :blink:

LOL!! I had the exact same questions!! I didn't really understand test cricket when I saw that match.

Kumble was bowling the 144th over or something and I was thinking.....what are these South Africans doing? They know they are gonna win. Match ended as a draw tho........

Craig

World Traveller
Samuel_Vimes said:
Third Ashes Test 2002/03 (I think)...England bowled out for 79. Woke up to listen to the radio and have all the reasons why England were so poor thrown over the long wave. :)

(Edit: It was the first test...oops...)
Actually I think it was the 1st Test IIRC.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia v Sri Lanka at the WACA

I got a cricket card of Michael Slater and wondered if he was good...next ball he hit a six over cover...I really started following cricket from that moment forward with Slats as my hero. Great test...Slater went on to hit 219 and Punter hit 97 on debut!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
First Test, England vs. Pakistan, 1992.
Didn't really watch with any conviction, watched all the home Tests vaguely for that and the next 5 summers. Then came 1998 and that unforgettable South Africa series, followed by the first away cricket I'd ever watched or taped (highlights of the effective third-day, actual fourth-day, at The MCG, believed to be the longest in Test history, Mark Ramprakash and Dean Headley turning the game in it's head).
World Cup next summer, got OnDigital next winter so watched some of the South Africa series live, taped the whole highlights of the Standard Bank Tri-Series, then came the summer of 2000 and me getting into cricket the way I am now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Did pretty well in the 2nd game though, eh? :p
And had two unbelievably close matches in the 3rd and 6xth too.
Superb tournament, that. Featuring as it did, a strong Zimbabwean side.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Navjot Singh Sidhu?
That would have been most a splendiferous thing to behold, beautification personified, played with all the crispness of a freshly fried poppadum - a veritible banquet served with chili relish of the soul.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Err... ye-e-e-e-e-e-e-s-s-s-s-s...
I knew about some of the luckyeddieisms, but the word-artistry was not one I have yet had the pleasure of.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
Err... ye-e-e-e-e-e-e-s-s-s-s-s...
I knew about some of the luckyeddieisms, but the word-artistry was not one I have yet had the pleasure of.
<quack> Give him his due - he IS a professional writer

Why thank you, DD. Yes, technically, you could say that.

<quack> I'm taking the Mickey - he's a TECHNICAL wri..... oh!

Ha-ha!

<quack> (speechless)