• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's Your Favourite Player for the Weirdest Reason?

Waughney

International Debutant
Who's Your Favourite Player for the Weirdest Reason?
By this I mean because they;
Broke a bat, fell over, first player you saw that scored a century, etc.

For me it has to be a name.....Vasbert Drakes :D

Steulen

International Regular
Justin Langer.

Because his story was immortalized in that great George Lucas film: the Headlight-caught Rabbit Strikes Back.

Seriously, he's the one player you're sure will be dropped from the team after watching him hop around in the early overs of a match. Then you tune in a day later and he's still there with a century to his name :blink:
Weird guy.

masterblaster

International Captain
For me has to be Ajit Agarkar. He's Indian, Fastest to 50 ODI wickets, those infamous 7 ducks, that Lords 100, the fan reaction, the inconsistency, the sheer brilliance, the sheer despair, the dangerousness, the ineptness, pretty much the whole damn roller-coaster ride.

Yep, I think that's what sums it up. Favourite player for the weirdest reason:

Ajit Agarkar

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Saurav Ganguly - for his on-field competitive attitude.. his sledging, his despair at times, his anger towards fielders after dropping catches himself, helplessness vs fast bowling at times, arrogance vs spinners.. maybe not the best cricketer but highly enjoyable at any time. When in form, batting is not too bad either (its brilliant actually)

Also I like Murali, not for his bowling but for the facial expressions he makes during it and his famous slog batting.. Exciting stuff when he comes out to bat :D

Swervy

International Captain
when we were kids there were two cult figures:

Roger Binny, who played for India...we just thought it was amusing that in a team with names like Gavaskar,Viswanath, Vengsarkar etc..there was a guy called Roger..so quite ofetn I would be Roger Binny when playing in the park (I was only young)..he was quite a good player as well.

And the second one was a guycalled Roger Finney(he used to play for Derbyshire)...and he was next best thing to Roger Binny, coz his name rhymed with Roger Binny.

I also remember Dilip Doshi and Laxman Sivaramakrishnan being popular, because a mate of mine made up two tunes that basically just said their names....lyrics to Laxman Sivaramakrihans song was 'Laxamn Sivaramakhrishnan, laxman sivarama'...repeat to fade..with a nice little tune

THe doshi song was more basic..basically just saying Dilip Doshi but putting a puh tuh noise in the middle of is..and so the song went Dilip puh tuh Doshi...and you would repaet that 50 times....

what was going on in our heads

but then again we did think of writing to the Olympic committee to get them to allow the country Chad to have hundreds of athletes competeing in the olympics.

And my mate (at the age of 13) rang in a serious radio phone in chat show thing talking about serious issues of the day....and my mate (the one who invented the Doshi song) was asked live on air what he wanted to talk about..and my mate said 'Poland'..the presenter asked what exactly, about communism, or something and my mate said 'nah I just like it, is got a good shape to it on a map'...the radio presenter didnt know what to say...I was audible on the radio in the background p!ssing myself.

So i guess we were a bit wierd :D

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Venkatapathy Raju - for the name, and Venkatesh Prasad, for his patented fielding technique of ******ing the ball to the boundary.

Waughney

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
<quack> Rikki - one of his zits is shaped like Poland
Taken from DD's very own website:
I should also point out here that I hate bowling but love cricket - and that my favourite player is Vasbert Drakes of the West Indies

Swervy

International Captain
oh and we had another favourite player as well...he was called Glen Anderson.

the story goes as follows:

We all used to play cricket at St Annes CC in Lancashire as kids(where Flintoff used to play for a bit). In about 84, they got over a pro called Rhys Banwell, I think he used to play grade cricket in Sydney....this Banwell guy brought over his mate called Glen Anderson

Banwell, well we didnt really like him, we thought he was a bit up him self, being the pro and all that,but Glen was a top bloke...and we used to laugh when Rhys Banwell did crap but Glen did better, coz you could see that banwell was getting well wound up and also everyone liked Glen better as a person...so we used to take the mickey out of Rhys ..like kids do.

Glen Anderson got cult status though in a charity game played at blackpool CC (in an era when loads of charity games were played there, with the likes of Botham, Richards,Collis King,Allan Lamb, Franklyn Stevenson playing..it was great)..well in one of these games,Rhys banwell was playing and so was glen anderson...I think Rhys got out for a duck and we were ****ing ourselves...but the laughter got louder when Glen went out there and hit the fastest 50 you will ever see..almost everyball went to the boundary (remember this was against top international players and some local club players).

Rhys must have been fuming, coz all these kids were asking for Gen autograph and everything...we were well chuffed coz we knew Glen..and didnt like Rhys

So cult player number three is : Glen Anderson

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
oh and we had another favourite player as well...he was called Glen Anderson.

the story goes as follows:

We all used to play cricket at St Annes CC in Lancashire as kids(where Flintoff used to play for a bit). In about 84, they got over a pro called Rhys Banwell, I think he used to play grade cricket in Sydney....this Banwell guy brought over his mate called Glen Anderson

Banwell, well we didnt really like him, we thought he was a bit up him self, being the pro and all that,but Glen was a top bloke...and we used to laugh when Rhys Banwell did crap but Glen did better, coz you could see that banwell was getting well wound up and also everyone liked Glen better as a person...so we used to take the mickey out of Rhys ..like kids do.

Glen Anderson got cult status though in a charity game played at blackpool CC (in an era when loads of charity games were played there, with the likes of Botham, Richards,Collis King,Allan Lamb, Franklyn Stevenson playing..it was great)..well in one of these games,Rhys banwell was playing and so was glen anderson...I think Rhys got out for a duck and we were ****ing ourselves...but the laughter got louder when Glen went out there and hit the fastest 50 you will ever see..almost everyball went to the boundary (remember this was against top international players and some local club players).

Rhys must have been fuming, coz all these kids were asking for Gen autograph and everything...we were well chuffed coz we knew Glen..and didnt like Rhys

So cult player number three is : Glen Anderson
Yeah, charity matches are fun. Some old bloke at my club once reverse swept David Graveney for four! Not many people can say they did that.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
For me, there's a couple:

1) Graham Thorpe because he looks vaguely like Morrissey from The Smiths (if you drink a lot & squint anyway)

2) Dave Mohammed. Cos it's just magic that Mr & Mrs Mohammed called their son Dave! :D

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I've always been a fan of wrist spinners who struggle(because I am one), hence my two favourite players being Chris Schofield and Dave Mohammed. I also like anybody from Lancashire(including Ronnie Irani), and I try to make sure I watch every England match with my Granddad, just to here him say that Michael Vaughan "looks like a puff".LOL

Barney Rubble

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
2) Dave Mohammed. Cos it's just magic that Mr & Mrs Mohammed called their son Dave! :D
I totally agree, I think Dave Mohammed is one of the best names I've ever heard! Dwayne Bravo is also a cool name 'cos he sounds like a superhero, and he reminds me of a cartoon character called Johnny Bravo.

Also James Anderson, because there used to be a guy at my school called James Anderson and he's about as far removed from an international sportsman, who used to have a red streak in his hair, and is considered very good looking as you can get! And the Jimmy Anderson chant is the same as the Teddy Sheringham chant, which reminds me of my beloved Portsmouth FC, whom Teddy used to play for....but now he's gone *sniff sniff* :cry:

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
murali for his batting, his shouting at dropped chances, his 'dont **** me off' attitude after he bowls an over and of course those eyes.

Sudeep

International Captain
Nathan Bracken - Though I'm still not able to come to a conclusion why I'm a fan, thus the weirdness... :confused: