• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's Your Favourite Player for the Weirdest Reason?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Not wierd but my favourite cricketers for non-cricketing reasons.

1. South Africa : Smith (I love his attitude, his spirit and his smile)

2. Australia : Gilchrist (I love his straight forwardness)

3. Pakistan : Shoaib (I love the child in him. I hope he never grows up)

4. India : Kaif (I love his guts and his self belief)

5. Sri Lanka : Murali (I love his passion for the game and his ability to smile through the most turbulent of times)

6. NewZealand : Vettori ( I love the way he is never flustered)

7. England : Strauss ( I love his maturity and humility rare in one so young and so successful)

tooextracool

International Coach
england:graeme hick( yes i'll admit he was not test class, but he was the one who got me into watching cricket and was doing pretty well at the international level at the time)
australia: michael bevan(for obvious reasons)
india : rahul dravid(still the best test batsman in the world IMO)
pakistan :asim kamal(all guts), javed miandad
NZ: chris cairns(on his day, match winner with bat and ball), vettori( on his day the best finger spinner ive ever seen), martin crowe(brilliant captain)
SL: roshan mahanama(unknown reasons)
zimbabwe: neil johnson, andy flower, sean ervine - talent and brilliance
SA: jonty rhodes( world class player who was worth more to his team than just his batting and fielding)
WI- richards, samuels, lara and ambrose

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Pratyush's favourite players for weird reasons #1

Clive Rice

The first game I watched was the one where South Africa were reinstated into international cricket in 1991. I luckily went to see that game in the Eden Gardens that day.

There werent many player names I knew. So I go into this match and try to figure out who the players are. Naturally we start thinking from the captains. Rice an easy name to remember sticks on. I know nothing of the guy but just coz his name is Rice and I can remember it, he becomes a favourite player for,yes, a weird reason.

More to come. :)

twctopcat

International Regular
I'm a bowler man and although i could list all great fast bowlers there is something about four pakistanis: Shoaib Akhtar, Waqar Younis, Wasim Akram and Imran Khan that do it for me. Speed and swing make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I think it's the utter helplessness of the batsmen that does it.... :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I like Chanderpaul because of his extraordinary batting swings - one minute he's grinding-out 153* off 500 balls or so, not long after he's hammering the 3rd fastest Test century on record.
It even happens in single innings - for referance see the 84 (IIRR) in The First ODI (reduced-overs) of the WI-Eng series in 2003\04.
Not my favourite, but I do love the way he has such unspeakably polarised styles. No-one I can think of who's done it quite so spectacularly.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jono said:
Mushtaq Ahmed. His action intrigued me. So much to the extent that I mimicked it for a little while until kids at my club laughed at me. :(

It hurt that I couldn't stay true to Mushie.
One guy who mimicked it is Nadeem Malik, formerly of Notts.
Seamer, too.
Quite amazing how similar they are for two utterly different run-ups.

Duncan

U19 Debutant
Zaheer Khan- it's just funny that he was India's main pace bowler for so many years even though he is mediocre. Thank God Pathan came.

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
Duncan said:
Zaheer Khan- it's just funny that he was India's main pace bowler for so many years even though he is mediocre. Thank God Pathan came.
on a side note to any wrestling fans here, do u think zaheer looks like charlie haas?

Marcus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Thos Hunt on a county level due to his average season for somerset (now out of contract), due to his hard wroked perforamnces all season...worked more than most of the team but yet played the worst innings and bowled the worst spells ever.....on a international level it is Stuart McGill.....one of the greatest spin bowlers of our time...pushed out due to warne...his action is a classic and he cold even pass for a allrounder.....the fact warne always pushes him out of the side amuses me...Davidm Shepard is my vote for umpire the best umpire in the game that has his quirks and is always one i look for on a scorecard....his umpiring in itslef brings something to any game