Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wicketkeepers who bowl

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar

Wicketkeepers who bowl

Tatenda Taibu's exploits in Zim's ODI and Test series against SL, where he gave his pads to Alester Maregwede and came on to bowl, taking wickets on each occasion (his maiden Test wicket was Sanath Jayasuriya!!!), got me thinking - can anyone remember other occasions where wicketkeepers have taken off their pads and turned their arm over, and what the circumstances were? It turned out Taibu did it simply because he is a decent bowler (from what I hear he can bowl both medium-pace inswingers and offspin, can anyone confirm this?), but there must have been times before when keepers have done it just for fun when the result of a match has already been decided?

I remember Karl Krikken taking a wicket for Derbyshire a few years back, but can't remember why he was bowling. Also on England's tour of the Windies in 1994, although he wasn't keeping in that match (Jack Russell was), didn't Alec Stewart take the new ball when WI only needed 15 to win or something?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    Prime Ministers XI match a few seasons ago, dan marsh turned his ankle on the ball while trying to field it off his own bowling, it was the middle of the over, so adam gilchrist brought himself on to bowl. Finished with 0/20 odd from 3.4 overs. I think it was Ganga who got a ton that day hit his 3rd ball for 6 straight over midwicket.

Pinball Champion!
    When our opening bowlers were injured I opened the bowling for my club and after my spell stuck the pads on.. Ive never seen it happen at a higher level though...
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

What did Gilchrist bowl? I'm guessing some 55mph long hops? Can't see him having done much work in the nets!

I'd love it if a keeper got called for throwing, that would be funny - with some bowlers it's just not worth the controversy. Was at an OD game between Somerset and Middlesex last night, the crowd were accusing Paul Weekes of chucking - he's an opening batsman and part-time offspinner, there's just no point!

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    What did Gilchrist bowl? I'm guessing some 55mph long hops? Can't see him having done much work in the nets!

I'd love it if a keeper got called for throwing, that would be funny - with some bowlers it's just not worth the controversy. Was at an OD game between Somerset and Middlesex last night, the crowd were accusing Paul Weekes of chucking - he's an opening batsman and part-time offspinner, there's just no point!
    he bowled offies, some werent bad, some were pretty poor!

Pinball Champion!
    Was at an OD game between Somerset and Middlesex last night, the crowd were accusing Paul Weekes of chucking - he's an opening batsman and part-time offspinner, there's just no point!
    Thats cool, was hoping to go to that game (I live 2 miles from the ground).. Loads of people I know went so I was pretty jealous at having to work

How old are u? U arent at Sherborne School by any chance?

PM's XI vs WI 2000/01

well i was close, Ganga got 97 and gilchrist bowled 2.1 overs 0/14. ACT players Anthony McQuire and Mark Higgs carved up as usual comets players make a habit of performing well in this game...

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Thats cool, was hoping to go to that game (I live 2 miles from the ground).. Loads of people I know went so I was pretty jealous at having to work

How old are u? U arent at Sherborne School by any chance?
    #

I'm 17, and I live in Sherborne but don't go to school there, I go to a boarding school in Sussex, which is where I play all my cricket. You don't happen to know a club I could join in Sherborne do you? I nearly joined one a couple of years back but I was always off at school, now I think they might have gone under after their playing fields got redeveloped or something.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    I'd love it if a keeper got called for throwing, that would be funny

Alec Stewart did didn't he?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Stewart did? I guess I kind of have to find that funny now....

From what I've seen on video (I was 6 at the time) Stewie bowled medium-slow, so to get called for throwing bowling medium-slow is probably harder than to get called bowling spin - Stewie must have developed an unorthodox action over the years!

Speaking of unusual bowlers, anyone remember at the end of a Test in 1996 when Mike Atherton and Graeme Thorpe bowled in tandem? Athers got out Wasim Akram lbw, and although Thorpie didn't get one then, he took a wicket for Surrey last year.

PY
    Chris Read bowled at a testimonial for Wayne Noon for Notts CCC.

Though he wasn't keeping then. I think Paul Franks was but Neil can confirm.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    I have to admit that I'm not sure who were keeping off the top of my head! I think that Pete's almost definitely right, however.

I'm pretty sure that Read bowled 3-0-20-0 of medium pace tripe (very reminiscent of PY's line and length, when I think about it).
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Stewart did? I guess I kind of have to find that funny now....

From what I've seen on video (I was 6 at the time) Stewie bowled medium-slow, so to get called for throwing bowling medium-slow is probably harder than to get called bowling spin - Stewie must have developed an unorthodox action over the years!
    From reports at the time, he'd had a laugh with a mate and bet him he'd get called for throwing.

Think it was the end of the 375 game.

Speaking of unusual bowlers, anyone remember at the end of a Test in 1996 when Mike Atherton and Graeme Thorpe bowled in tandem? Athers got out Wasim Akram lbw, and although Thorpie didn't get one then, he took a wicket for Surrey last year.
    I remember the time Thorpe was used as a genuine ODI bowler for a couple of games (think it may have been 95) - think it was a game at Lords and Athers got a ton.

Nathan Pilon bowled an over for NSW last year.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Dar
    Ajay Ratra bowled for India against West Indies. Sangakkara bowled against SA but wasn't keeper at the time

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information