• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Squad to Tour SA

pskov

International 12th Man
Who would you take? For me:

Vaughan(c), Trescothick, Butcher, Key, Strauss, Thorpe, Flintoff, G.Jones, Read, Giles, Batty, S.Jones, Harmison, Anderson, Hoggard & Kabir Ali

Very suprising, I'm sure. ;)

Ian Bell: don't worry, your time will come soon. Pietersen: You will slot right into the no. 5 spot in the ODI side right away and wait for a test chance. Collingwood: sorry mate you're simply not good enough at the moment, go back to Durham and prove me wrong.

Kabir Ali gets in by default due to a) being young c) showing potential in county cricket and c) already having played for England. I think it is essential to take 5 seamers + Flintoff just to cover possible injuries and it would be difficlult to fly someone in and expect them to play right off the plane. Kabir is not a player I totally love, but I think he is the best option ATM. Sidenote: I would like to see Chris Tremlett debut against Bangledesh next year, why he isn't in the CT squad I'll never know...

Langeveldt

Soutie
My fifteens

1. ME Trescothick
2. MP Vaughan
3. M Butcher
4. R Key
5. I Bell
6. GP Thorpe
7. A Flintoff
8. A Strauss
9. GO Jones
10. ARF Giles
11. A Caddick (who incidentally is fit again)
12. M Hoggard
13. J Brown
14. J Anderson
15. SJ Harmison

1. GC Smith
2. HH Gibbs
3. A Puttick
4. JH Kallis
5. JP Duminy
6. M Van Jaarsveld
7. ND McKenzie
8. J Rudolph
9. MV Boucher
10. SM Pollock
11. A Hall
12. N Bojé
13. M Hayward
14. M Ntini
15. A Nel

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Caddicks hardly set the world alight since his comeback though...and would england want to turn to him at this stage of his career?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ide go with:

Michael Vaughan
Marcus Trescothick
Andrew Strauss
Robert Key
Graeme Thorpe
Ian Bell
Andrew Flintoff
Geraint Jones
Chris Read
Ashley Giles
Simon Jones
Matthew Hoggard
James Kirtley
Stephen Harmison
James Anderson

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Prince EWS said:
Ide go with:

Michael Vaughan
Marcus Trescothick
Andrew Strauss
Robert Key
Graeme Thorpe
Ian Bell
Andrew Flintoff
Geraint Jones
Chris Read
Ashley Giles
Simon Jones
Matthew Hoggard
James Kirtley
Stephen Harmison
James Anderson
Pretty much agree (as I suspect most do!) with the following exceptions:

Mark Butcher instead of Rob Key think Key's tendancy to lose concentration around his off-stump will make him Pollock's bunny
Matt Prior instead of Chris Read better batsmen than Read, so more of a like-for-like swap if Jones gets injured
Kabir Ali instead of James Kirtley half a decade younger, more potential with the bat & Kirtley's action is awful!!!
I also reckon it'll be 16 man squad (so ceefax says!) so I'll take Gareth Batty as the alternative spinning option.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
FRAZ said:
Wht you think about Ashley's prospects in South Africa???
I'm a little bit worried, to be honest. He's unlikely to get the pitches he had this summer to help him. If he's not being helped by the pitch he's never been a massive turner of the ball. Think he'll be used to tie up an end.

That said, he's streets ahead of any other spinning option we have. Batty included.

gio

U19 Cricketer
This is the 16man squad I would take, not what I think the selectors will pick.

M Vaughan
M Trescothick
A Strauss
R Key
I Bell
G Thorpe
A Flintoff
G Jones
M Prior
G Swann
A Giles
M Hoggard
S Harmison
J Anderson
S Jones
S Mahmood

Graeme Swann has been a good form with bat and ball this season, is still young and could do very well for England. Matt Prior is a very talented batsman and an average keeper. Going on tour will give him an idea on how much his keeping needs improving. Sajid Mahmood is rated highly by a lot of people. I reckon he should go on tour to get some experience.

Andre

International Regular
My two cents:

Vaughan
Trecothick
Strauss
Butcher
Key
Thorpe
Flintoff
G. Jones
Foster/Read
Batty
Giles
Kabir Ali
Hoggard
Jones
Harmison
Anderson.

James Foster's batting has been well on the improve this summer - something tells me he is inline for a recall. The remainder of the squad virtually picks itself, with Key the reserve batsman IMO and Kabir the 6th seamer being the only other contentious positions.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
gio said:
Graeme Swann has been a good form with bat and ball this season, is still young and could do very well for England. Sajid Mahmood is rated highly by a lot of people. I reckon he should go on tour to get some experience.
Interesting call with Swann. Didn't he go on last tour of SA?

Not sure about Mahmood, judging by the ODIs he's not quite the finished article. I'd say the academy for him.

BTW, I heard he's Amir Khan's cousin. Anyone know if that's true? :)

gio

U19 Cricketer
Yeah, it is true.

England squad: MP Vaughan (Yorkshire, capt) Age 29 Tests 50,
ME Trescothick (Somerset) 28 54,
AJ Strauss (Middlesex) 27 7
MA Butcher (Surrey) 32 68
RWT Key (Kent) 25 12
GP Thorpe (Surrey) 35 93
A Flintoff (Lancashire) 26 40
GO Jones (Kent, wkt) 28 8
CMW Read (Nottinghamshire, wkt) 26 11
AF Giles (Warwickshire) 31 40
GJ Batty (Worcestershire 26 5
MJ Hoggard (Yorkshire) 27 33
SP Jones (Glamorgan) 25 8
SJ Harmison (Durham) 25 23
JM Anderson (Lancashire) 22 11
PD Collingwood (Durham).

As expected, except from the inclusion of Collingwood over a fast bowler

gio

U19 Cricketer
I like the look of Academy side as well. Nice to see Swann there as part of the full time squad. The full time students, as far as I can remember:

Alex Gidman, Saj Mahmood, Graeme Swann, Matt Prior, Ian Bell, David harrison, Kevin piertersen I can't remember the rest.

Part time students: Liam plunket, Luke Wright, James Hildreth, Alistair Cook, David Stiff, Adam Harrison. Again, there is more but I can't remember them all exactly.

i reckon almost all of the full time students mentioned above could be key players in England's future test and ODI set-up. I esepecially like David Harrison and Saj Mahmood. Of the part time students, James Hildreth has a massive future, while Luke Wright has had a decent season.

Once again, though, Dimi Mascarenhas has missed out.

Last edited:

Swervy

International Captain
gio said:
Yeah, it is true.

England squad: MP Vaughan (Yorkshire, capt) Age 29 Tests 50,
ME Trescothick (Somerset) 28 54,
AJ Strauss (Middlesex) 27 7
MA Butcher (Surrey) 32 68
RWT Key (Kent) 25 12
GP Thorpe (Surrey) 35 93
A Flintoff (Lancashire) 26 40
GO Jones (Kent, wkt) 28 8
CMW Read (Nottinghamshire, wkt) 26 11
AF Giles (Warwickshire) 31 40
GJ Batty (Worcestershire 26 5
MJ Hoggard (Yorkshire) 27 33
SP Jones (Glamorgan) 25 8
SJ Harmison (Durham) 25 23
JM Anderson (Lancashire) 22 11
PD Collingwood (Durham).

As expected, except from the inclusion of Collingwood over a fast bowler
I would be slightly concerned about the depth of the fast bowling..I personally would have gone with Mahmood instead of Collingwood just for the experience

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Swervy said:
I would be slightly concerned about the depth of the fast bowling..I personally would have gone with Mahmood instead of Collingwood just for the experience
Yeah. It's gotta be a financial cop-out to take Collingwood, what with his 12 month contract & all. Makes no sense from a cricketing perspective.

BTW Swervy, if I were to say "Those kids on the corner wanna beat-box my brains to bits" I assume you'd know what I was on about? :)

Swervy

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
Yeah. It's gotta be a financial cop-out to take Collingwood, what with his 12 month contract & all. Makes no sense from a cricketing perspective.

BTW Swervy, if I were to say "Those kids on the corner wanna beat-box my brains to bits" I assume you'd know what I was on about? :)
hehehee...i certainly would my friend...what a classic line that is

Swervy

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
Top band. Shoulda been much bigger than they were. :)
they are still big in my heart..and the weird thing is I am going to the drummers house this weekend for his house warming party

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Swervy said:
they are still big in my heart..and the weird thing is I am going to the drummers house this weekend for his house warming party
Fair play. I was listening to "Raise" in the car on the way in to work the other day. Give him my best!! :)

Swervy

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
Fair play. I was listening to "Raise" in the car on the way in to work the other day. Give him my best!! :)

hahaha..good driving music...maybe better to be driving out in the wilderness as opposed to to work