• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Squad to Tour SA

Tom Halsey

International Coach
marc71178 said:
The thought of Bell or Collingwood bowling a long spell makes me very worried to be honest.
Me too.

But if it hd to be bowled, I'd rather Bell bowling it than Collingwood.

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:
Because potential doesn't disappear overnight. Shah and Franks are still there...
So what?

Results count at the end of the day, and tell me what he has done this season or for England?

chris.hinton

International Captain
My Squad would have had Bell instead of Collingwood. And the Academy is getting older. MY Squad for Academy would be:-

Cook (Essex)
Kadeer Ali (Worcs)
Troughton (Warwick at 25 is oldest)
Moeen Ali (Warwicks)
Davies (Worcs)
Wallace ( Glam)
Kevin Pietersen (Notts)
Alex Gidman (Glous)
Naqqash Tahir ( Warwick)
Kabir Ali (Worces)
Mark Lawson (Yorks)
James Hildreh (Somerset)
Sajid Mahmood (Lancs)
David Stiff (Kent)
Plus Antoher Bowler

Andre

International Regular
Craig said:
So what?

Results count at the end of the day, and tell me what he has done this season or for England?
He has performed competently for Surrey this summer. What you are failing to take into account is the fact that his misuse by the English selectors has shot down any sembelance of confidence he had.

A winter at the academy, however, should provide the platform for him to rebuild his confidence and harness his talent - which to most decent observers is clearly untapped at this stage.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
So what?

I'll trust the selectors and coaches who work with him thanks - they seem to have a good history of spotting that sort of player recently and sticking with him regardless of what the scorecard says.

I remember a certain A Flintoff asked to go to the Academy after a poor spell, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Langeveldt

Soutie
As long as Rikki Clarke is in contention for anything other than a decent club place, my opinion of Duncan Fletcher will be pretty low indeed...

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
I'll trust the selectors and coaches who work with him thanks - they seem to have a good history of spotting that sort of player recently and sticking with him regardless of what the scorecard says.

I remember a certain A Flintoff asked to go to the Academy after a poor spell, and the rest, as they say, is history.
That's all very well and good but can you see him getting into the England Test or ODI team in the near future?

Even if he has all the potential in the world, but doesn't deliever, so then why should they keep carrying somebody on the basis "He has potential" but has never bothered to preform.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes I can if he impresses in the Academy - ODI team for sure actually if he does what's asked of him - the idea of the Academy is to get him to transfer the potential into results, and I wouldn't say sending him there is "carrying him"

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
As long as Rikki Clarke is in contention for anything other than a decent club place, my opinion of Duncan Fletcher will be pretty low indeed...
Yes - perhaps this time you're right.

What goes against your judgement though (in comparison to that of DF) is that you disagreed with him over Harmison, I seem to recall - and deep down, you still do really.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Craig said:
No I mean in the England team.
Marc's punctuation is the problem here - there should be a semi-colon where he has an en-dash.

So, it should read: "Yes I can if he impresses in the Academy; ODI team for sure actually if he does what's asked of him - the idea of the Academy is to get him to transfer the potential into results, and I wouldn't say sending him there is "carrying him"

And I agree. And that suggests we're right.

Craig

World Traveller
So if I agree with Richard on something, does that mean we're both right?

And besides what is Clarke's role in the ODI team? He is a bits-and-pieces player IMO.

Also I believe Marc isn't exacatly a fan of young Rikki.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil is going on history.

Every time we've agreed on something on here, it seems to have come true.

When we've disagreed in the main he's been wrong and I've been right ;)

I haven't been that impressed by Clarke as yet, but then again I haven't seen that much of him compared to what Fletcher and the sleectors have, and they still think he's got the talent.

They've not done too badly in previous players they've stuck with even when people on here haven't liked them, have they?

Craig

World Traveller
So the moral of the story on here is to agree with you and Neil, and I will also turn out to be correct?