Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ian Bells Test Debut

Cricket Spectator

Ian Bells Test Debut

I thought Ian Bell looked quite handy at no 5, perfect replacement for when Thorpe retires and very Atherton esque.

Yeh i thought he did well on his debut, lets just hope he continues the same.
    February 10th 2009 <3
    Rest In Peace Fardin
    Rest In Peace Sazza

Cricket Spectator
    yeah he looked quite asured didn't he even after his early blow on the shoulder

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Atherton-esque indeed - can't understand why he wasn't in the Champions Trophy squad, he bowls some useful outswingers and is a sharp fielder as he showed at the Oval - I'd take him over Anthony McGrath any day!

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    Atherton-esque indeed - can't understand why he wasn't in the Champions Trophy squad, he bowls some useful outswingers and is a sharp fielder as he showed at the Oval - I'd take him over Anthony McGrath any day!
    Totally agree. Inifinitely better batter & fielder than Ant McGrath & his bowling is as least as good.

He should be on the plane to SA too. Short of a century on debut he couldn't have done much more.

Cricket Spectator
    Im so diasappointed that Bell didnt make the SA tour

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    He's young. His time will come.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    Probably had something to do with his seasonal-one-day-average of 29.
    Compared to McGrath's of 40.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Aylott
    Im so diasappointed that Bell didnt make the SA tour
    I agree with this, though - IMO he's no worse a bowler than Collingwood, and Collingwood's bowling has apparently been a factor in his selection.
    Anyone who thinks Collingwood's anywhere near as good a batsman as Bell needs their head examined.

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    I agree with this, though - IMO he's no worse a bowler than Collingwood, and Collingwood's bowling has apparently been a factor in his selection.
    Anyone who thinks Collingwood's anywhere near as good a batsman as Bell needs their head examined.
    If I wanted a batsman who's bowling regularly gets tonked, I'd go for Chris Schofield

Cricket Spectator
    I never see Schofield bowl any more. I thought he was in the team for his batting. Many times I have seen him play some fantastic innings. What actually happened to his bowling? Also he is a good fielder but only if he could bowl?

Besides coming from Yorkshire, I do think McGrath is a better choice over Bell.

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky
    What actually happened to his bowling?
    It's still there, but he bowls at least one full toss/half tracker every over. In the past it was probably put down to inexperience, but now Lancashire are sick of his inconsistency and just play him as a batsman.

It's good to see Schofield playing for Lancs as a batsman, I've always liked the look of him, even if he is rather unorthodox.
    But to even suggest he's an international-class batsman is rather streatching it.

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    It's good to see Schofield playing for Lancs as a batsman, I've always liked the look of him, even if he is rather unorthodox.
    But to even suggest he's an international-class batsman is rather streatching it.
    yeah, I know...that's just my bias suggesting that.

Quote Originally Posted by steds
    It's still there, but he bowls at least one full toss/half tracker every over. In the past it was probably put down to inexperience, but now Lancashire are sick of his inconsistency and just play him as a batsman.
    Personally I'd put it down to the fact that it's very, very hard to bowl wristspin with the neccessary accuracy, that hardly anyone has ever bowled wristspin well, and that Schofield is simply one of many of us mere mortals who aren't special like Warne, Murali, Mushtaq and a few others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information