• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hayden calls subcontinental batsmen 'selfish'

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
I think it's just a little bit of psychology - and if it winds the players up every bit as much as one or two of the supporters, then that's a case of 'mission accomplished'
I agree with you that it is more of a psychological game than a fact. But what is astonishing is that the way some people on this forum are jumping up to defend him with statements like ' He does have a point' .

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Jnr. said:
Hayden was playing and missing. When he tried to up his scoring rate, he swung his bat and still missed.
Obviously only Hayden and other aussie batsmen can miss when they play or swing their bat. When batsmen from subcontinent miss such shots, they are being selfish.

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
I agree with you that it is more of a psychological game than a fact. But what is astonishing is that the way some people on this forum are jumping up to defend him with statements like ' He does have a point' .
so he is well and truely wrong then!!! He has no basis for his comments whatsoever....he knows nothing about the game...Australia probably are the team who know the least about their opposition, because they do very little research into how each player on the opposition plays etc...so they know nothing.

If I need to know about the game, I wont be asking Hayden thats for sure..how dare he express an opinion, for god's sake, he hasnt earnt that right..he has only scored 20 test hundreds and averages 58...what does he know....bloody Australians..all they ever do is speak their mind when they are asked a question...lock 'em up thats what I say...bloody convicts.

But if I do need to know something about the game..guess where I will be going...you guessed it..straight to the States where sanz lives...he knows it all..he has a direct line to Ganguly etc, all the inside info.Maybe Hayden should have got to the phone to Sanz and asked him if he thought that due to the pressures put on Indian players (or other sub continental players) by the fans or the media, does he think that maybe these players might feel some pressure to perform on an individual basis as opposed to working for the team...especially given the huge talent these teams have...but they dont win anything, despite having the highest scorers etc..they still cant win sh!t.

Of course it was just plain silly of Hayden to think such a thing...if he had have called Sanz...Sanz I hope you would have told him where to go with his hair brained theories. :D

deeps

International 12th Man
the difference being

hayden was TRYING to score.... sub continental batsman try to conserve their wicket!

and besides,he was referring to when a batsman nears a milestone...

if tendulkar is on 90,he will shut up shop,and sloooowly make the 100...same with many other indian batsman

gilly on 90, he will play just as he's palyed the entire innings....aggressively

that's the difference

by tendulkar slowing down to make the 10 runs,he loses 20-30 runs for the team because he's being more cautios

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sanz said:
Okay, First Ponting calls Brian Lara Selfish, And now Hayden calls all the subcontinet batsmen as selfish. Idiot !!. They should come up with a better excuses for not being able to score centuries or make 400 runs. I saw his batting yesterday and he was more selfish than anyone. In a 32 over match how can he waste 5 overs.
haha, yeah they're poor at both forms of the game - all these excuses. So here we go again with the examples of an innings here or there when Hayden hasn't scored fairly quickly huh?

Son Of Coco

Sanz said:
It's also astonishing when some people on the forum jump in with comments re: 'the aussies shooting off their mouths', 'the team not being able to score 100's / 400+'. Just off topic, and out of interest when has any team been able to score 400 in a one day match?

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Obviously only Hayden and other aussie batsmen can miss when they play or swing their bat. When batsmen from subcontinent miss such shots, they are being selfish.
Generally, batsmen do not continually play and miss when they've already scored 80 or 90 (at good pace) in an ODI.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Jnr. said:
Generally, batsmen do not continually play and miss when they've already scored 80 or 90 (at good pace) in an ODI.
Neither does Hayden have any proof to backup the BS he said. As for batsmen struggling after scoring 80/90 rubs, Watch Sachin bat in Sydney.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
Okay when an australian batsman bats slow, he is basically trying to find his form, but when a batsman from subcontinent does it he is being selfish. 8-)
Look at it this way (in the context of the actual comments, rather than using it as yet another excuse to have a go at Australia and Australians)

Hayden is only talking about those who are nearing a personal milestone. They are therefore with a fair number of runs to their name, so cannot be called struggling or trying to find their form.

That innings he played was not nearing a milestone, so your attempt at a comparison is nothing more than another dig at the Australians - something that is happening quite often recently from you...

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
everytime aus are about to tour subcontinent someone has to comeup with some kinda inflaming remarks, whats new about this, theres nothing insighful about his expert remarks. Compared to Aus any team scores at a lower rate not just subcontinent teams. Also what works for one team does not necessarily work for other teams, maybe pressing RR is not possible coz of all the freaking collapses that follow in doing so :@

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
deeps said:
the difference being

hayden was TRYING to score.... sub continental batsman try to conserve their wicket!
scoring and trying not to get out are both primary functions of a batsman, what they should do is strike a balance between the 2...so conserving their wicket in itself is not a crime...

and besides,he was referring to when a batsman nears a milestone...

if tendulkar is on 90,he will shut up shop,and sloooowly make the 100...same with many other indian batsman

gilly on 90, he will play just as he's palyed the entire innings....aggressively

that's the difference
how many times have you seen tendulkar do that? the old tendulkar used to just blast his way out of the 90s, the current tendulkar might cut down on the boundaries and take singles to reach that landmark....there's no shutting shop and sloooow scoring...especially in one dayers

by tendulkar slowing down to make the 10 runs,he loses 20-30 runs for the team because he's being more cautios
he is one batsman who has never hurt his team that way...wrong man to bring up as an example....

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
When has lack of proof stopped you from having a go at the Aussies?
Why shouldn't I have a go at Aussies esp when so many aussies coming here and supporting a lame and idiotic statement by an aussie whose main purpose was to strike psychological blow than stating the facts.

Slow Love™

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Look at it this way (in the context of the actual comments, rather than using it as yet another excuse to have a go at Australia and Australians)

That innings he played was not nearing a milestone, so your attempt at a comparison is nothing more than another dig at the Australians - something that is happening quite often recently from you...
Isn't this a little bit rich, considering that Hayden's comments are just another dig at the Indians? I mean, he's perfectly entitled to do it, and good luck to him, but is there any reason whatsoever that we should treat his comments seriously? Sanz has already indicated that he agrees (as Lucky Eddie does) that this is just a windup by Hayden - what he's disagreeing with is those that say "hey, he's just pointing this out because he knows a lot about the game" (or "he's just trying to be helpful", bwahaha), when he doesn't think this is the point of the exercise (or that the accusation is true). Seems a perfectly valid opinion to me.

Either way, given the context of Hayden's comments, it seems ironic and silly to berate people responding to them for looking for "excuses to have a go at Australia and Australians" - don't you think?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
Isn't this a little bit rich, considering that Hayden's comments are just another dig at the Indians? I mean, he's perfectly entitled to do it, and good luck to him, but is there any reason whatsoever that we should treat his comments seriously? Sanz has already indicated that he agrees (as Lucky Eddie does) that this is just a windup by Hayden - what he's disagreeing with is those that say "hey, he's just pointing this out because he knows a lot about the game" (or "he's just trying to be helpful", bwahaha), when he doesn't think this is the point of the exercise (or that the accusation is true). Seems a perfectly valid opinion to me.

Either way, given the context of Hayden's comments, it seems ironic and silly to berate people responding to them for looking for "excuses to have a go at Australia and Australians" - don't you think?
excellent points..! you make some of the most thoughtful, objective, insightful posts in this forum...much appreciated!

basically the australians win so much because they are that much better than any other team. whatever else these current subcontinent teams can be accused of, i don't think it is selfishness...in fact i can't think of a recent one day match that india lost because some main batsman batted slowly in order to reach a personal milestone and thus hurt the team's chances. i am fairly sure the same is the case with pakistan and sri lanka. also, hitting out and getting out when your team needs you to stay on and guide them through is as criminal a mistake as selfishly slow batting. australia has so many superb batsmen and a really fighting tail, so their top order players can afford to do that, but that's not the case with most other teams.

Son Of Coco

maxpower said:
everytime aus are about to tour subcontinent someone has to comeup with some kinda inflaming remarks, whats new about this, theres nothing insighful about his expert remarks. Compared to Aus any team scores at a lower rate not just subcontinent teams. Also what works for one team does not necessarily work for other teams, maybe pressing RR is not possible coz of all the freaking collapses that follow in doing so :@
That is true, Australia does score at a rate slightly quicker than most teams, also if you're going to go out and have a go you have to be fairly sure that the guy coming in behind you is up to the task if you fail. We have also seen them collapse in Test cricket when they've tried to push it along regardless of the pitch conditions etc.

What he said may or may not have an element of truth in it, but it's just his opinion. I'm not sure what benefit would be gained from prodding Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman etc etc trying to get them to cut loose. It does seem a little like someone jumps on a quote everytime the Aussie team says something though, and why would Hayden be given the task of playing "mind games" with the opposition? Wouldn't that be better left to Ponting? Is it not entirely possible the quote was used to sell papers before the tournament? I doubt the headline "Hayden slams "selfish" ..........." was what he specifically intended, i.e: slamming players from other countries (unless it's with the bat of course! haha). I'm not saying that he wasn't aware of what he was saying by the way.

Swervy

International Captain
i think its just another over-reaction to be honest by supporters of India (I dont think anyone else has moaned about it)...but I am glad it has been acknowledged that its just mind games.

Does it even matter what a player says...but if it is something that has been observed by the Australian players then it is a valid point to make...in the same way if it was Brian Lara saying it, or Ntini or Oram..it doesnt matter..the point is its because an Aussie has said it that there is this reaction.

some people just need to let go!!!!!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Hayden is only talking about those who are nearing a personal milestone. They are therefore with a fair number of runs to their name, so cannot be called struggling or trying to find their form.
Whatever Hayden is saying is a load of bull. Hayden has a made a sweeping statement ahead of the Indian tour to have a go at the Indian batsman. If he is really serious then he should come up with some statistics to prove his point. I looked at Tendulkar's last 5 centuries and couple of other milestones he reached and I dont see any difference. The flow of his innings at the time of milestone isn't really noticable. Looked at Sehwag's 200 & 300 (in same inning) nothing noticable again, Looked at Sehwag's 195 in Aus, no signs again, Dravid's 100 & 200 in Pak again no signs, couple of recent centuries by other Indian batsmen Yuvraj & Laxman, in Aus, Nothing so far . What the Hell is Hayden talking about then ?

As for you assuming that I am having a go at Aussie , you can assume whatever you want and keep supporting the ridiculous claims made by him and his team mates. I dont intend to prove anything to you or aussie member of this forum.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
i think its just another over-reaction to be honest by supporters of India (I dont think anyone else has moaned about it)...but I am glad it has been acknowledged that its just mind games.

Does it even matter what a player says...but if it is something that has been observed by the Australian players then it is a valid point to make...in the same way if it was Brian Lara saying it, or Ntini or Oram..it doesnt matter..the point is its because an Aussie has said it that there is this reaction.

some people just need to let go!!!!!
Right, Imagine the same stuff was said by Sehwag or Ganguly about Australian batsmen ? (Rest of the Indian batsmen are too mature to say anything stoopid like that).

Reminds me when Ganguly just made a statement that 'India COULD be no. 1' and whole world ridiculed him replacing the 'COULD' with an 'IS'.

Son Of Coco

Sanz said:
Right, Imagine the same stuff was said by Sehwag or Ganguly about Australian batsmen ? (Rest of the Indian batsmen are too mature to say anything stoopid like that).

Reminds me when Ganguly just made a statement that 'India COULD be no. 1' and whole world ridiculed him replacing the 'COULD' with an 'IS'.
so you're saying that what's happening due to Hayden's comment now, also happens to everyone else. I'm sure that's true.