• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England: Young Guns vs Golden Oldies

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Simple - the Young Guns versus the Golden Oldies (when they were at their peak), who wins?

Young Guns
1. M Trescothick
2. A Strauss
3. R Key
4. M Vaughan
5. I Bell
6. A Flintoff
7. G Jones
8. A Giles
9. M Hoggard
10. S Harmison
11. J Anderson

Golden Oldies
1. M Atherton
2. M Ramprakash
3. G Hick
4. N Hussain
5. G Thorpe
6. A Stewart
7. C White
8. D Cork
9. D Gough
10. A Caddick
11. P Tufnell

Swervy

International Captain
Barney Rubble said:
Simple - the Young Guns versus the Golden Oldies (when they were at their peak), who wins?

Young Guns
1. M Trescothick
2. A Strauss
3. R Key
4. M Vaughan
5. I Bell
6. A Flintoff
7. G Jones
8. A Giles
9. M Hoggard
10. S Harmison
11. J Anderson

Golden Oldies
1. M Atherton
2. M Ramprakash
3. G Hick
4. N Hussain
5. G Thorpe
6. A Stewart
7. C White
8. D Cork
9. D Gough
10. A Caddick
11. P Tufnell
oh the current team by a mile...although remember Thorpe is still playing

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:

Young Guns
1. M Trescothick
2. A Strauss
3. R Key
4. M Vaughan
5. I Bell
6. A Flintoff
7. G Jones
8. A Giles
9. M Hoggard
10. S Harmison
11. J Anderson

Golden Oldies
1. M Atherton 7728@37SR:37 37(100)
2. M Ramprakash 1350@27 SR:36 27(75)
3. G Hick 3383@31 SR:48 31(65)
4. N Hussain 5764@37 SR:40 37(83)
5. G Thorpe 6349@44 SR:46 44(96)
6. A Stewart 8463@39 SR:48 39(81)
7. C White 1052@24 SR:43 24(56)
8. D Cork 864@18 SR:41 18(44)
9. D Gough 855@12 SR:43 12(28)
10. A Caddick 861@10 SR:34 10(29)
11. P Tufnell 153@5 SR:22 5(23)
Par score :284(160.4 overs)
Young Guns coming soon :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
To be fair, including Ramprakash, Hick and White at 7 is always going to weaken the side considerably.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Sorry the some of the Oldies aren't exactly Golden, I just picked them to demonstrate how far England have come - the corresponding players in th Young Guns team have pretty much replaced the Oldies in the side and improved it significantly.

Ramps is only there because Mike Atherton's last consistent opening partner before Tresco was Stewart (wasn't it?), and he's already there.

This thread wasn't really designed to be a debate, I figured everyone would choose the Young Guns, I just wanted to point out how much the team has evolved, not to mention improved, over time - the Young Guns have gradually, one by one, broken into the Test side to replace the Oldies, Bell being Thorpe's eventual long-term replacement, I assume.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Whether Ramprakash was the penultimate man to open with Atherton or not (and he was, before Trescothick - Stewart last opened in Tests in July 1999), the fact is he is not an opener and no side should ever include him there. It would be perfectly easy to include Nick Knight or even Mark Butcher if you've found it neccessary to pick Robert Key ahead of him for the Currents.
And how on Earth has Hick managed to get a position ahead of Hussain, Stewart and Thorpe may I ask?
And Eddie:
luckyeddie said:
Well, at least that's 29 runs in the bank.
In spite of Ramprakash's average of something like 15 as an opener?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Whoah, Richard, ease up - I picked him there because he's not very good - demonstrating the fact that whereas he used to get in the team, he doesn't now, because England are a better side.

And Key isn't in the currents, he's in the Young Guns - Butch is 31, and Key is probably his long-term replacement. I would have put Gareth Batty in as Giles' long-term replacement but I figured that would cause a debate I didn't want to.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Gilo's got another five years in him yet!

We've got at least nineteen world-beating leg spinners due by then, seven of them called Hinton.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Barney Rubble said:
Whoah, Richard, ease up - I picked him there because he's not very good - demonstrating the fact that whereas he used to get in the team, he doesn't now, because England are a better side.
And only people who haven't examined the situation properly would say that Ramprakash "is not very good".
Yes, he wasn't very good before 1997 and yes, he wasn't very good when he was made to open, but to place him as an opener anywhere when he played 7 innings in Test-cricket there is rather a silly idea in my book.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Gilo's got another five years in him yet!

We've got at least nineteen world-beating leg spinners due by then, seven of them called Hinton.
c.h has has got seven kids, has he?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I know one guy with two kids at my age (well, two months younger than me to be precise).