• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harmison the World Top rated Bowler

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Swervy said:
I have checked the site..Bedi was at number 2 during the 77/78 series vs Australia..he was not at number one according to the table.(where is that bonfire...my bladder is full again :D )
If you see the rankings 'graph' it shows Bedi as number 1 for a bried period. I saw that but either it is my error in judgement or yours.

Any way the point is India has had some good bowlers although many have been really poor (what can you say if you have Madan Lal opening the bowling).

Bedi, Chandra, Kapil, Kumble were good.

So England too hasnt had great success in the bowling department has it. India also has had numerous bowlers in the top ten at one point or another. That doesnt mean much.

And Dev was indeed so good in the first half as a bowler that he can be considered an all time great. Really, if you follow his stats a bit more closely, he was 'DEV'astation.

The fact that we have looked at this ratings so closely shows how good the ratings are. I usually do not like ratings much the over a period of time, PWC ratings do hold good. Comparing different players always turns out interesting from the PWC perspective too..

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
Not having seen harmison ever bowl, I dont feel I should comment on this, but I will anyways. Is Harmison the freaky tall guy, who looks like the hunchback from the top of his body, if so than more power to him, ugly ppl deserve their 15 mins of fame :)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
I'm not seeing as he was bowling at a time of the likes of Botham, Lillee, and the West Indian battery,
The fact that he did manage to reach number two during that golden era of pace is quite appreciable then.

Langeveldt

Soutie
maxpower said:
Not having seen harmison ever bowl, I dont feel I should comment on this, but I will anyways. Is Harmison the freaky tall guy, who looks like the hunchback from the top of his body, if so than more power to him, ugly ppl deserve their 15 mins of fame :)
Nah he isnt that bad... Judging by that rule, Key should eventually be top of the bowling then :)

But Steve Harmison, world number one?

WORDS ------------------------>>>---------------MOUTH

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
masterblaster said:
Either way, I still think Harmison will find it extremely tough against the Australians.

If he can come out of the series, with a few odd wickets at 35 a piece, then I think he would've done a decent job.
That's not much of an improvement on last time (9 at 50) - so you're easily pleased.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
maxpower said:
No, that would be Merv Hughes, Dennis Lillee, >>> insert favourite Aussie player here <<<

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Nah he isnt that bad... Judging by that rule, Key should eventually be top of the bowling then :)

But Steve Harmison, world number one?

December just can't come quick enough

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
The fact that he did manage to reach number two during that golden era of pace is quite appreciable then.
Until you see what period of Test Cricket he reached that position ;)

biased indian

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Until you see what period of Test Cricket he reached that position ;)
just like the players harmison is lucky to play i dont think he has that many wickets of top rated batsmen other than lara :p

Swervy

International Captain
biased indian said:
just like the players harmison is lucky to play i dont think he has that many wickets of top rated batsmen other than lara :p
gayle 6 times
Sarwan 6 times
Lara 4
Gibbs 3
martyn 3
astle 2
Fleming 2
Gilchrist 2
Kirsten 2
Love 2
McMillan 2
Oram 2
Richardson 2

32.4% of his wickets have been batsmen in the top 3 (that is impressive I think)
37.3% are batsmen batting positions 4 to 7
30.4% are batsmen batting postions 8-11

Compare this to a bowler who has played similar number of tests and is considered a premier fast bowler of our times Shoaib Akhter

32.8% of his 125wickets top 3 batters
36.0% numbers 4-7
32.2% numbers 8-11

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Gayle, Sarwan - 6
Lara - 4
Gibbs, Martyn - 3
Astle, Fleming, Gilchrist, Kirsten, Richardson - 2

That's 32 there, and none of those are mugs.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
No, the only time he topped was during the Packer years.
He was in the tops 1979-81/82 when he got to 100 wickets very fast.

Till 1989, he was in the top 6-7 in the world.

Swervy

International Captain
Pratyush said:
He was in the tops 1979-81/82 when he got to 100 wickets very fast.

Till 1989, he was in the top 6-7 in the world.
hats off to him...he obviously performed better than I gave him credit for..I would still only class him a good test bowler...and I still find it incredible that he was the top wicket taker in tests for so long

biased indian

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Gayle, Sarwan - 6
Lara - 4
Gibbs, Martyn - 3
Astle, Fleming, Gilchrist, Kirsten, Richardson - 2

That's 32 there, and none of those are mugs.
Of 32 16 are from one team which is 50% that tells u a lot

Swervy

International Captain
biased indian said:
Of 32 16 are from one team which is 50% that tells u a lot
so what you saying then..harmison doesnt deserve the wickets he has got.

the ratings take into account the strength of the batsmen dismissed you know!!!!!

Anyway I cant think of one single bowler at the moment who is performing the way Harmison is this year and so given the lack of performances around the world, I guess he has to deserve the number one position...like it or not Biased Indian