• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harmison the World Top rated Bowler

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
Harmison is also rated top in the world for his batting this year in tests....

He has the highest batting strike rate of any batsman in tests this year who have scored over 100 runs (he is scoring at 90.17 runs per hundred balls) :D
Well, that's only to be expected. I take back all I said about the preoccupation with all-rounders, and am delighted that England are playing Giles, Hoggard and Harmison to stiffen the batting.

kashikooler979

Cricket Spectator
Its a good thing that the England bowler is on the top of PWC rating. Harmisan improved more then the experts expected from him. and in other hand the Sami improved less lesser then the experts expected from him

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Swervy said:
hahaha..yeah...have India ever had a number one rated bowler in the world..or the sub-continent for that matter????? :D
No. Waqar Younis was just a flash in the pan. Kapil Dev was a lucky bowler whose swing was due to the huge amount of breeze seen in India.

gio

U19 Cricketer
I think what swervy meant is "have India ever had a number 1 rated bowler in the world or even a number one rated bowler in the sub continent", not "have India, or even the sub continent, had a number 1 bowler." The latter is obviously rediculous with the likes Murali and Ahktar topping the ratings in recent years. The former, however, is a bit less obvious. Did Kumble ever top the ratings?

Swervy

International Captain
Pratyush said:
No. Waqar Younis was just a flash in the pan. Kapil Dev was a lucky bowler whose swing was due to the huge amount of breeze seen in India.
I sense some sarcasm in your post there. Can I just remind you though that Waqar played for Pakistan...and Dev would never have come close I dont think to being the number one bowler in the world!!!!!!!

Swervy

International Captain
gio said:
I think what swervy meant is "have India ever had a number 1 rated bowler in the world or even a number one rated bowler in the sub continent", not "have India, or even the sub continent, had a number 1 bowler." The latter is obviously rediculous with the likes Murali and Ahktar topping the ratings in recent years. The former, however, is a bit less obvious. Did Kumble ever top the ratings?
oh i see why he said about Waqar now :D

Swervy

International Captain
Kumble once ranked second about 9 years ago
Dev ranked second for a time as well very early in his career(so he did come close amazingly enough)

Interesting that Akhtar has never ranked above 3rd in tests

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Swervy said:
I sense some sarcasm in your post there. Can I just remind you though that Waqar played for Pakistan...and Dev would never have come close I dont think to being the number one bowler in the world!!!!!!!
Okay mistook your earlier post.

But you do not have much knowledge about Kapil Dev if you think he never came close to being number one in the world.

Dev was an excellent swing bowler for India in the first half of his career though not great after wats from aroun 1990-1994. He was at number 2 and number 3 for the period 1980-1983. Apart from that he was a top 5 bowler till about 1990 barring two slumps during the period.

He was one of the quickest to 100 wickets as well. Exceptional bowler whom people remember as 'not so good' because he prolonged his career and looked bad later on. Plus, his career average is not as it was worsened in the later stages of his career. If any one saw Waqar bowl during the last phase of his career, he would not believe the yorkers he could produce in 1989-1993.

Regarding no one ever reaching number 1 from India, I am surprised honestly Dev did not manage number 1 during the period. Apart from him, Amar Singh was very good but did not manage a lot of points as India did not play as many tests.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
From 1970-1975 Bedi was among the top 5 bowlers in the world, never slipping even once. He was number 2/3 for about half that period.

In around 1978 we was indeed number 1.

So there goes.. we did have a number 1.

Swervy

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Okay mistook your earlier post.

But you do not have much knowledge about Kapil Dev if you think he never came close to being number one in the world.

Dev was an excellent swing bowler for India in the first half of his career though not great after wats from aroun 1990-1994. He was at number 2 and number 3 for the period 1980-1983. Apart from that he was a top 5 bowler till about 1990 barring two slumps during the period.

He was one of the quickest to 100 wickets as well. Exceptional bowler whom people remember as 'not so good' because he prolonged his career and looked bad later on. Plus, his career average is not as it was worsened in the later stages of his career. If any one saw Waqar bowl during the last phase of his career, he would not believe the yorkers he could produce in 1989-1993.

Regarding no one ever reaching number 1 from India, I am surprised honestly Dev did not manage number 1 during the period. Apart from him, Amar Singh was very good but did not manage a lot of points as India did not play as many tests.
No fair enough...Dev got to number two ( I would take a guess that he was behind Botham on that one)..yeah Dev did explode onto the scene.I watched a lot of Dev bowling from 1981 onwards..I always thought he was a good bowler but not a great bowler. I think he got a lot of wickets due to the fact he had to get the wickets because India didnt have any other consistantly good pace bowlers (although I was always impresssed with Chetan Sharma), and the 80's wasnt a vintage era for Indian spinners (they had a few good ones like Maninder or Shivaramakrishnan for a bit)...so only Dev could take wickets and didnt have to do much sharing around

(of course he was at a disadvantage with not having constant pressure at the other end helping him take wickets)

I thinkHe came onto the scene about 18 months after Botham, and in my opinion, Devs bowling declined in the same was as Bothams did.

Swervy

International Captain
Pratyush said:
From 1970-1975 Bedi was among the top 5 bowlers in the world, never slipping even once. He was number 2/3 for about half that period.

can we really include the Packer WSC time when all the good bowlers were out of the game?????

Swervy

International Captain
and to be honest..the ratings were only introduced in the late 80's..and so the ratings from before then are done retrospectivly..so strictly speaking Bedi wasnt the number one :D

Swervy

International Captain
Pratyush said:

#

dont mean to urinate of your bonfire mate...but Bedi got to number 2...but not number one...and indeed it was during WSC..so all the great bowlers werent there (Lille,Imran, etc)..and the teams India were playing around then (ie Australia, were terrible)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Swervy said:
and to be honest..the ratings were only introduced in the late 80's..and so the ratings from before then are done retrospectivly..so strictly speaking Bedi wasnt the number one :D
Since we are comparing England and India, how many English bowlers have been there on the charts at 1/2/3 since the 80s

And whether you urinate or not, Bedi was at number 1 during 1978.. Check the site again. And if Australia are weak (which they were pre 1987 for a period after the retirement of Chappell, Lillee and Marsh) it doesnt mean much. West Indies is also a terrible team. Does that mean Harmison does not deserve his number one rank? Regarding the players playing Packer series, some one could bring a stupid arguement that Harmison is number one right now because Ambrose is not playing and McGrath has been 'not in the groove'.

Harmison deserved his number one. And Kapil was a superb exponent of swing.

Why you even mentioned 'has any Indian ever been number one in even Asia' is beyond comprehension.

masterblaster

International Captain
Either way, I still think Harmison will find it extremely tough against the Australians.

If he can come out of the series, with a few odd wickets at 35 a piece, then I think he would've done a decent job.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
Regarding no one ever reaching number 1 from India, I am surprised honestly Dev did not manage number 1 during the period.

I'm not seeing as he was bowling at a time of the likes of Botham, Lillee, and the West Indian battery,

Craig

World Traveller
What about Ashley Giles next Ashes?

He is bowling as well as he probably ever has, and I think him bowling well will be important to England having a chance (I thought I would never say that).

Swervy

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Since we are comparing England and India, how many English bowlers have been there on the charts at 1/2/3 since the 80s.
well Ian Botham certainly topped the charts at number one i the bowlers pop parade back in 1980 ish...and since then no-one at number one.Will need to do some reasearch on any other England bowlers beingf in the top 3 since then..I suspect that there havent been any though.

Pratyush said:
And whether you urinate or not, Bedi was at number 1 during 1978.. Check the site again. And if Australia are weak (which they were pre 1987 for a period after the retirement of Chappell, Lillee and Marsh) it doesnt mean much. West Indies is also a terrible team. Does that mean Harmison does not deserve his number one rank? Regarding the players playing Packer series, some one could bring a stupid arguement that Harmison is number one right now because Ambrose is not playing and McGrath has been 'not in the groove'..
I have checked the site..Bedi was at number 2 during the 77/78 series vs Australia..he was not at number one according to the table.(where is that bonfire...my bladder is full again :D )

31/12/1966 73 West Indies Kolkata
13/01/1967 40 West Indies Chennai
08/06/1967 47 England Leeds
22/06/1967 38 England Lord's
13/07/1967 35 England Birmingham
19/01/1968 47 Australia Brisbane
26/01/1968 40 Australia Sydney
15/02/1968 45 New Zealand Dunedin
22/02/1968 31 New Zealand Christchurch
29/02/1968 33 New Zealand Wellington
07/03/1968 23 New Zealand Auckland
25/09/1969 11 New Zealand Mumbai
03/10/1969 11 New Zealand Nagpur
15/10/1969 11 New Zealand Hyderabad
04/11/1969 13 Australia Mumbai
15/11/1969 12 Australia Kanpur
28/11/1969 7 Australia Delhi
12/12/1969 2 Australia Kolkata
24/12/1969 4 Australia Chennai
18/02/1971 3 West Indies Kingston
06/03/1971 3 West Indies Port-of-Spain
19/03/1971 3 West Indies Georgetown
01/04/1971 3 West Indies Bridgetown
13/04/1971 4 West Indies Port-of-Spain
22/07/1971 3 England Lord's
05/08/1971 3 England Manchester
19/08/1971 4 England The Oval
20/12/1972 5 England Delhi
30/12/1972 5 England Kolkata
12/01/1973 5 England Chennai
25/01/1973 5 England Kanpur
06/02/1973 6 England Mumbai
06/06/1974 5 England Manchester
20/06/1974 6 England Lord's
04/07/1974 11 England Birmingham
11/12/1974 15 West Indies Delhi
27/12/1974 13 West Indies Kolkata
11/01/1975 10 West Indies Chennai
23/01/1975 11 West Indies Mumbai
05/02/1976 11 New Zealand Christchurch
13/02/1976 11 New Zealand Wellington
10/03/1976 10 West Indies Bridgetown
24/03/1976 7 West Indies Port-of-Spain
07/04/1976 7 West Indies Port-of-Spain
21/04/1976 7 West Indies Kingston
10/11/1976 6 New Zealand Mumbai
18/11/1976 5 New Zealand Kanpur
26/11/1976 5 New Zealand Chennai
17/12/1976 5 England Delhi
01/01/1977 4 England Kolkata
14/01/1977 5 England Chennai
28/01/1977 4 England Bangalore
11/02/1977 4 England Mumbai
02/12/1977 3 Australia Brisbane
16/12/1977 2 Australia Perth
30/12/1977 2 Australia Melbourne
07/01/1978 2 Australia Sydney
28/01/1978 2 Australia Adelaide

16/10/1978 3 Pakistan Faisalabad
27/10/1978 6 Pakistan Lahore
14/11/1978 8 Pakistan Karachi
01/12/1978 9 West Indies Mumbai
15/12/1978 9 West Indies Bangalore
29/12/1978 10 West Indies Kolkata
02/08/1979 14 England Lord's
16/08/1979 14 England Leeds
30/08/1979 14 England The Oval

My point about WSC was that all the great bowlers werent playing tests then and so couldnt add to their ratings in anyway ,which may have helped Bedi's ranking...Bedis rating then was in the 790's..that would give him a ranking of 6th today..and that is probably because of the WSC players not playing at the time.

But having watched Bedi on video, he looked like a great bowler.

The thing is Harmison has got a high rating (but it has been higher when he wasnt number one) so yes he does deserve it....but some of it is due to Murali losing 1% per test I think.

Pratyush said:
Harmison deserved his number one. And Kapil was a superb exponent of swing.

Why you even mentioned 'has any Indian ever been number one in even Asia' is beyond comprehension.

So yes Harmison does deserve it...and yes Dev was a good swing bowler..but not an all time great on a world wide basis.

The reason why I said that????? It was a tongue in cheek reply to someone somewhere saying that biased indian was jealous of Harmisons success, which was probably a response to someone elsewhere saying Australians or English or somebody was jealous of Indias success.....so it was an off the cuff remark, with no research done on it or anything...I am just glad I was right that no Indian bowler has been number one..although I was surprised to see Dev right up there for a time

Swervy

International Captain
Angus Fraser was 4th in 1998
Gough got to 5th in 2001
caddick was 6th in jan 2003
Dilley got to 4th in 1988
foster got to 6th in 1989
DeFreitas got to 10th for a while in the mid 90's
Ellison got to 8th in 1986
Hoggard got to 6th in 2002
Willis got to 1st in 1978 and then 2nd in 1983

So we have a winner..Bob Willis has got to 2nd (the challenge was to find an English bowler in the top 3 since the times of Botham) in the world rankings in bowling

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Swervy said:
The thing is Harmison has got a high rating (but it has been higher when he wasnt number one) so yes he does deserve it....but some of it is due to Murali losing 1% per test I think.

I think they'd be just about equal but for that missed game (although had he played, who's to say he'd have retained that rating?)