• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

world 11

kenway

Banned
i think this team could possibly the best in the world today. they may not be the best 11 in the world but the best i could fit in the world today

1. mathew hayden
2. michael vaughen - captain - not the best english batsman but he cna open. picked over justin langer and virender seghwag mainly for his captany
3. raul dravid
4.sachin tendalker
5.bryan lara
6.jaques kallis
7. andrew flintoff
8. adam gilchrist - although kumar sangakara is pushing him
9. shaun pollock
10.shane warne - just over murili
11. sreve harmisson

i believe this team has the best batting line up but the but the bowling could be a problem. im not sure the bowling of kallis and flintoff r good enough but i wanted them both in. maybe one of theses should make way for another fast bowler or if playing on a turning pitch murili

a massive zebra

International Captain
How can you not have Murali who is clearly the best bowler in the world by far, and has been for a while now. Tendulkar does not merit a place anymore.

kenway

Banned
i would hav like murali but i am probobly biased towards the great warne becasue i am a hampshire suporter

a massive zebra

International Captain
Talking of county cricket, have a look at the records of the two bowlers in the county championship

Mat O M R W Ave Best 5wi 10w SR Econ
Murali 19 1049.1 322 2195 149 14.73 7-39 17 6 42.2 2.09
Warne 25 993.3 259 2682 113 23.73 6-34 8 0 52.7 2.69

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
And Murali played mostly at Old Trafford which is one of the more susceptible pitches to turn in England, and Warne plays predominantly at the Rose Bowl, which usually has its games all over by day 2 with the seamers eating the sides for breakfast on a minefield...

There are times and places for Warne v Murali, and now isn't one.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
And Murali played mostly at Old Trafford which is one of the more susceptible pitches to turn in England, and Warne plays predominantly at the Rose Bowl, which usually has its games all over by day 2 with the seamers eating the sides for breakfast on a minefield...
If that is true them why is Shaun Udal outperforming any Lancashire spinner, why is Mascarenhaus the only Hampshire bowler with exceptional figures this season, why have no championship matches finished in 2 days this season, and why have Lancashire played host to some of the least successful spin bowlers of recent years.

1990 JD Fitton 2572 86 1365 14 97.50 3-69
1991 G Yates 3178 97 1770 26 68.07 3-47
1992 AA Barnett 3431 79 2092 43 48.65 5-78
1993 AA Barnett 4280 177 2005 47 42.65 5-36
1996 G Keedy 2743 123 1183 23 51.43 3-45

kenway

Banned
it is certainly easier i think to come up with world class batsmen than bowlers. there r lots of great batsmen to chose from for a world 11. i had to include dravid and tendalker there records r increadible and they r still getting runs

kenway

Banned
I agree that maschrenhas has be brilliant and in my opinon should be in the england one day sqaud but warne did win hampshire the match today with 6 wickets.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
None of those are recent years, Udal is getting bowled very, very rarely, and the pitch has improved a lot this season.

For any argument either way there's a legit counter... why can't you just let it rest that they're both exceptional players, and it's quite easy to rate either above the other.

And any chance of less text language, please Kenway? :)

a massive zebra

International Captain
Yes there is definitely a paucity of top class bowlers these days. There are currently 12 batsmen with a PWC rating above 750, and just 7 bowlers with such a rating. There are only 5 current bowlers in the all-time great category (Murali, McGrath, Pollock, Warne, Kumble), in 1999 there were 10 (Donald, Ambrose, Pollock, Muralitharan, McGrath, Kumble, Waqar, Walsh, Akram, Warne).

Swervy

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
How can you not have Murali who is clearly the best bowler in the world by far, and has been for a while now. Tendulkar does not merit a place anymore.

its someones opinion..why do you have to ram it down everyones throat about Murali...yes we know he is a living legend, but some people prefer Warne

I cant take another Murali vs Warne debate

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
a massive zebra said:
If that is true them why is Shaun Udal outperforming any Lancashire spinner, why is Mascarenhaus the only Hampshire bowler with exceptional figures this season, why have no championship matches finished in 2 days this season, and why have Lancashire played host to some of the least successful spin bowlers of recent years.

1990 JD Fitton 2572 86 1365 14 97.50 3-69
1991 G Yates 3178 97 1770 26 68.07 3-47
1992 AA Barnett 3431 79 2092 43 48.65 5-78
1993 AA Barnett 4280 177 2005 47 42.65 5-36
1996 G Keedy 2743 123 1183 23 51.43 3-45
Could the last point possibly be that Messrs Fitton, Yates, Barnett and Keedy are all rubbish?

Also I note that the last example you give is 1996, which is 8 years ago and before either bowler played CC.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
a massive zebra said:
Yes there is definitely a paucity of top class bowlers these days. There are currently 12 batsmen with a PWC rating above 750, and just 7 bowlers with such a rating. There are only 5 current bowlers in the all-time great category (Murali, McGrath, Pollock, Warne, Kumble), in 1999 there were 10 (Donald, Ambrose, Pollock, Muralitharan, McGrath, Kumble, Waqar, Walsh, Akram, Warne).

You have a far less stringent all-time great threshold than most if you include Kumble and ssme of those others.

a massive zebra

International Captain
marc71178 said:
You have a far less stringent all-time great threshold than most if you include Kumble and ssme of those others.
Well he does have roughly 400 Test wickets. For arguments sake lets say he is an all-time great at home. :p

Which others?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
a massive zebra said:
Well he does have roughly 400 Test wickets. For arguments sake lets say he is an all-time great at home. :p

Which others?
Roughly 5 wickets a game puts Kumble in the 'extremely good' if not the 'all-time great' category for me. Any spinner averaging under 30 in test cricket is top-notch given the limited opportunities on some wickets.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
ML Hayden
HH Gibbs
RT Ponting
SR Tendulkar
BC Lara
A Flintoff
AC Gilchrist
SM Pollock
SK Warne
M Muralitharan
SJ Harmison

world youth XI:

C Gayle
GC Smith
JA Rudolph
RR Sarwan
IR Bell
Y Hameed
DDJ Bravo
PA Patel
IK Pathan
D Kaneria
JM Anderson

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Barney Rubble said:
world youth XI:

C Gayle
GC Smith
JA Rudolph
RR Sarwan
IR Bell
Y Hameed
DDJ Bravo
PA Patel
IK Pathan
D Kaneria
JM Anderson
Agree with that on the whole, but I would probably (through sheer bias) have McCullum instead of Patel.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I knew there was someone I forgot - you're right Ed, I'd have McCullum instead of Patel. I was very impressed with his batting on the tour of England recently, and his ability to adapt to batting at no3 when his usual position was no8! NZ seem to change their batting order around all the time, or was that mostly because of the injuries that happened on the England tour?

Mind you, seeing as almost everyone in the team is virtually an all-rounder (Cairns, Oram genuine allrounders, McMillan, Styris batsmen who bowl, then Franklin, Vettori, Mills, bowlers who bat) I guess it helps to be flexible.