• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ganguly's achievements

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterblaster

International Captain
Bhajji, If you cannot post anything without resorting to abusing forum members, please leave right now as we don't want people like this on our forums.

You have your opinion, everybody has theirs. If everybody were to agree with you, this forum would be a pretty dull place.

Let other people form their opinions, and people will allow you to have your own.

Cheers,

MB

FRAZ

International Captain
masterblaster said:
Bhajji, If you cannot post anything without resorting to abusing forum members, please leave right now as we don't want people like this on our forums.

You have your opinion, everybody has theirs. If everybody were to agree with you, this forum would be a pretty dull place.

Let other people form their opinions, and people will allow you to have your own.

Cheers,

MB
You know what these are the things which really **** me off .
God damn it .................
I dont know from where these craps come from . should've atleast some manners ..................

FRAZ

International Captain
these during decent conversation farting craps are in large numbers.
First I remember there was a guy bhagaagarkar and hellraiser (Who were the same guy) and now this A$$ clown........ God bless us all ....
And look whom they are supporting ........
These are the people who set fires in the stadiums. They dont even cheer at other team's performance .
These people who are disgrace to any cricket playing nation .
Imagine how the aussie , Pakistani , srilankan , Nz and almost all other coutries have good crowds who shout even for the crapy bowler balaji and buck him up .

FRAZ

International Captain
masterblaster said:
FRAZ mate, you were talking about Bhajji?
Yeah man . So due to this stupid extra patriotism ,I write some of my previous posts .
no offense to you friend ....

Last edited:

Swervy

International Captain
FRAZ said:
these during decent conversation farting craps are in large numbers.
First I remember there was a guy bhagaagarkar and hellraiser (Who were the same guy) and now this A$$ clown........ God bless us all ....
And look whom they are supporting ........
These are the people who set fires in the stadiums. They dont even cheer at other team's performance .
These people who are disgrace to any cricket playing nation .
Imagine how the aussie , Pakistani , srilankan , Nz and almost all other coutries have good crowds who shout even for the crapy bowler balaji and buck him up .

say what you feel Fraz mate..hehehehe :D

ReallyCrazy

Banned
Swervy said:
As it stands at the moment, I would say Thorpe and Vaughan are better batsmen than Ganguly, and to be honest, Flintoff probably is as well...dont be looking at averages..everyone knows they arent the be all and end all of things. I may even rate Trescothick higher than him..and I have no doubts that players like Strauss and Bell are infact better batsmen who need to prove themselves to be.

Surely Vaughans average was also boosted by him knocking big runs vs Australia as well.

Anyway, I dont rate Ganguly particularly highly as a batsman. Bowl fast and straight and fairly short to him and he ***** himself.He just doesnt have the technique to deal with it. I think he is very lucky not to have batted at Perth vs Lee coz I think he would be made a fool of.This is one of the reasons why he does well in ODI (maybe a bit like BEvan in this way)..he doesnt have to worry too much about short stuff.

Two moments standout for me..and both involve Flintoff..first was in the last series England had in India...Flintoff knew exactly where to bowl to Ganguly,and he ran circles all round him.Great stuff to watch, but Ganguly didnt know what had hit him.
Second was in world cup. England vs India...Flintoff vs Ganguly and Flintoff just made Ganguly look awful, footwork was poor, shot selection was a joke..and that is because Ganguly was bricking it that he was going to get the short stuff.

Of course when conditions suit him, and he gets his eye in he can look really good, but so can a number of batsmen around the world.

So whoever said he was one of the greats..no he isnt
Yeah right...Thorpe and Vaughan are better batters. And they have done so much more than Ganguly, right? 8-) I know averages aren't everything. But they are a good indicator of where ppl stand. And there is nothing between them. Vaughan is a worthless ODI player and should not be even playing ODIs. I find it funny how when it suits you, you bring averages into the picture and when it doesn't....you totally block it off. And What exactly has trescothick done to be better than Ganguly?

It was hilarious when you said Strauss and Bell are better than Ganguly. How many matches have played combined? 5? Now I am going to claim Irfan Pathan is better than Lee, Gillespie and mcgrath. 8-) This is the first time you said something really dumb.

Lets look at one more Ganguly Vs Flintoff incident. It was the Natwest finals. And Flintoff came on to bowl. His first ball was cover driven for four. And two balls later, Ganguly just walked down the track and hit him for six. Ganguly hit him for three more fours. And flintoff was ***** himself and started bowling wides.

Swervy

International Captain
ReallyCrazy said:
Yeah right...Thorpe and Vaughan are better batters. And they have done so much more than Ganguly, right? 8-) I know averages aren't everything. But they are a good indicator of where ppl stand. And there is nothing between them. Vaughan is a worthless ODI player and should not be even playing ODIs. I find it funny how when it suits you, you bring averages into the picture and when it doesn't....you totally block it off. And What exactly has trescothick done to be better than Ganguly?

It was hilarious when you said Strauss and Bell are better than Ganguly. How many matches have played combined? 5? Now I am going to claim Irfan Pathan is better than Lee, Gillespie and mcgrath. 8-) This is the first time you said something really dumb.

Lets look at one more Ganguly Vs Flintoff incident. It was the Natwest finals. And Flintoff came on to bowl. His first ball was cover driven for four. And two balls later, Ganguly just walked down the track and hit him for six. Ganguly hit him for three more fours. And flintoff was ***** himself and started bowling wides.
frist off, I am using what i know about cricket to make a judgement about Bell...yes he has hardly played the talent is obvious.

And yes, Vaughan and Thorpe are better batsmen than Ganguly....as i say I am not overly bothered about how vaughan plays in ODI..he is obvious a class batsman, one of the best in the world.

The thing is Pathan is really not better than the Australian bowlers, you know that, Iknow that, so thats just silly.

Again, with the ganguly thing..that NatWest final..the pitch was a batsmans paradise,and Flintoff was restricted in how he could bowl.Dont use ODI's as a tool for showing a batsmans full reange of talents, ODI's are a batsmans game more than test...put ganguly on a seamer or a bouncy wicket and he is done for...unlike say Thorpe

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
When Indian cricket history is written, we will remember the change which took place in 1970-71 after the twin series wins in England and the West Indies.

We will remember the emergence of India as a good one day side from 1983-87.

Apart from that India were generally a poor side till around 1993.

With Azhar's captaincy, India learned to win in home against teams consistently for the first time. They had the belief they could beat any one at home atleast.

India were still shockingly poor abroad having such a poor record in even countries such as Zimbabwe.

Ganguly's contribution would be to give the side the belief they can win any where, against any one. They may lose matches, they may win matches. But the belief which was lacking always is now there in the Indian team.

People who remember Ganguly for his ****iness forget to see the big picture. Cricket is such a diverse game, there will always be aspects which are not perfect abuot people. Ganguly is not a great test batsman but has done a lot of good for Indian cricket.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
ReallyCrazy said:
But he IS better than a lot of players you have over there.

You said "Ganguly's test record is much better than the record of so called good test batters both in the current era and the past."

I quite conclusively proved it is not.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
ReallyCrazy said:

Difference being Swervy was comparing up and coming players with a player who is far from the best at what he does.

You're comparing an up and coming player with the best in the world.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
marc71178 said:
You said "Ganguly's test record is much better than the record of so called good test batters both in the current era and the past."

I quite conclusively proved it is not.
if you read my post again, you just might realize that I proved conclusively he's better batter than trescothick, vaughan, hussain, thorpe, butcher and chanderpaul and taylor...who are all considered good test batters by quite a few.

chanderpaul, vaughan and thorpe are probably better test batters than ganguly but not by much. But they are very much below him in ODIs. So overall, Ganguly is better.

Last edited:

ReallyCrazy

Banned
marc71178 said:
Difference being Swervy was comparing up and coming players with a player who is far from the best at what he does.

You're comparing an up and coming player with the best in the world.
comparing a player who has played 1 test match so far (1 inning i should say) and another player who has played 5 so far to a proven international batter who's been doing it for 8 years now is not just silly. Its also a disgrace.

Just like Swervy sees talent in bell, i see talent in pathan and I can say he's better than McGrath.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
ReallyCrazy said:
if you read my post again, you just might realize that I proved conclusively he's better batter than trescothick, vaughan, hussain, thorpe, butcher and chanderpaul and taylor...who are all considered good test batters by quite a few.

chanderpaul, vaughan and thorpe are probably better test batters than ganguly but not by much. But they are very much below him in ODIs. So overall, Ganguly is better.

Right, so in one part of your post you say you've proved conclusively that Ganguly is a better batter than chanderpaul, vaughan and thorpe then you say in the second part OF THE SAME POST that chanderpaul, vaughan and thorpe are proboably better than Ganguly?

If you read what I actually put, I have proved conclusively that the records of all those batsmen I listed are better than the record of Ganguly in Tests, which is what you initially claimed, and that is a simple matter of numbers, rather than opinion, so it can be conclusive.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
marc71178 said:
Right, so in one part of your post you say you've proved conclusively that Ganguly is a better batter than chanderpaul, vaughan and thorpe then you say in the second part OF THE SAME POST that chanderpaul, vaughan and thorpe are proboably better than Ganguly?

If you read what I actually put, I have proved conclusively that the records of all those batsmen I listed are better than the record of Ganguly in Tests, which is what you initially claimed, and that is a simple matter of numbers, rather than opinion, so it can be conclusive.
Yes I still say the same. In the first paragraph, I stated that Ganguly is an OVERALL better batter (taking both tests and ODIs into consideration) than Vaughan, Chanderpaul and thorpe. And in the second part, I admit that probably those 3 are very slightly better in tests.

So I hope you understand I am not only talking about tests. I am talking both tests and ODIs. Ganguly's record in tests is only slightly below those 3. But he wins hands down in ODIs.

BTW when trying to name players with a better record than Ganguly, try to name players who are really better...not players who average 0.1 runs more per innings.

Last edited:

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
marc71178 said:

ill bet if sourav ganguly played for england and someone was attacking him youd have a very different answer? :ph34r:

Swervy

International Captain
Hit4Six said:
ill bet if sourav ganguly played for england and someone was attacking him youd have a very different answer? :ph34r:
its not attacking him (remember it wasnt one of the 'anti-ganguly' peopele who started this thread..whoever did start this surely must have known this kind of response would come out from some of us)...its pointing out that he isnt the be all and end all.

I have pointed out some of the things in his captaincy and batting which I dont rate highly..some of us on here arent just going to accept that he is the best or the greatest when it is blatantly obvious he isnt..would much rather dish out the praise on the truly great players in the Indian team ie.Tendulkar and Dravid

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
ReallyCrazy said:
So I hope you understand I am not only talking about tests.
Oh yes, you made that quite evident by saying:

Ganguly's test record is much better than the record of so called good test batters both in the current era and the past.
That clearly shows that you meant ODI's

ReallyCrazy said:
BTW when trying to name players with a better record than Ganguly, try to name players who are really better...not players who average 0.1 runs more per innings.
Most of the players I named have far better records than Ganguly (a fact you claimed in the above quoted post)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sourav is definitely an all time great ODI player and definitely is an all time great captain, atleast in Indian cricket. I still think he has done enough to be mentioned amongst some very good captains who have captained sides in the history of the game. And I think he is a pretty good test match player. He has his weaknesses, he has his strengths and at the end of the day, he is a guy who can average in excess of 40 in test cricket, hallmark of a good player. Plus he is a useful seamer at times. '

The problem here seems to be that most people tend to either over rate or under rate Sourav. They either think he is great (which he is not) or they think he is poor (which he is not either).

Status
Not open for further replies.