• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Ringers, mate!

How do you view Aussies/Kiwis/South Africans who turn out for England?

• Traitors, pure & simple

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • Pros selling their trade for top dollar

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • Welcome converts to English cause

Votes: 29 33.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 33.7%

• Total voters

BoyBrumby

Englishman
With the Papua New Guinean-born, Australian raised, Welsh parented Geraint Jones & the South African born, partly Melbourne raised Andrew Strauss now seemingly fixtures in the England test side it got me thinking: England have had more than their fair share of, shall we say, dual qualified internationals over the years.

Since I started following cricket waaaay back when there’s been plenty of Anglo-Aussies & Anglo- pretty much everything elses! We’ve had the good (Caddick, Robin Smith, White when he was fit), the fair (Mullally, Lamb, The Hollioakes in ODIs at least), the downright indifferent (McCague, Gallian) &, of course, Graeme Hick…

I was wondering how those of you with Antipodean or South African allegiances view such players? Turncoats? (I think those South Africans who played for other test nations can be excused this, but not the soon to be qualified Pietersen) or honest pros helping out The Mother Country (note: ironical usage)?

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
If they want to play for england they're as good as english for my money. What i dont agree with is the players playing county cricket with an EU passport or with English grandparents that have no intention of ever playing for England.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
SpaceMonkey said:
If they want to play for england they're as good as english for my money. What i dont agree with is the players playing county cricket with an EU passport or with English grandparents that have no intention of ever playing for England.
I totally agree. What's wrong with wanting to come and live in and play for the greatest(maybe not at cricket) country on earth

Also, isn't Strauss from South Africa, not Melbourne?

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
on the actual topic if i was South African (or other) id think it would be different if someone moved to england at a young age and has basically had their cricketing education in england...but if a player was raised in my country and trained in my country then moves to england in their early teens etc (a la Pieterson) then plays for england id be annoyed that we wasted time / effort / money on that player. I can say i wasnt impressed when Symonds picked Australia over England so i know how it feels ;)

Langeveldt

Soutie
As a SA fan I just hope Makhaya Ntini sends Pietersen on the next plane back to England where he belongs... I hope the SA bowlers pummel him good and proper...

True, he did not have the selection process in his favour as a young man, but real fighters like Smith and Rudolph have battled through it and are now thriving, like a good number of others.. Good to see England's future star isn't a feeble cop out :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So you expected him to stay somewhere when the quota system meant he was strugglig to get a game and thus make a career of it?

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
fair said.. i think that would be the same case playing in nz.. if they want to play for a country really bad and if theyr good enough to make it provided everythings legal with the passport and stay in the country regarding playing for the country then its all good..

masterblaster

International Captain
Don't forget guys like Owais Shah (Pakistan), Usman Afzaal (Pakistan), Ronald Irani (Half Indian/Half English), Vikram Solanki (Indian), Anurag Singh (Worcestershire man, but Indian obviously), Nasser Hussain (Indian), Kabir Ali (from Kashmir originally I think)

There are so many from the subcontinent....

FRAZ

International Captain
We are all sons of Adam (lol). There should'nt be any country in the first place and there should'nt be any team ...
WTF is the point of this thread ...........

Andre

International Regular
Gallian was a product of my Sydney grade club and the Australian youth system before he turned his back and went overseas. He scored heavially throughout his younger years...Apparently he dominated 4th grade when he was 14, and he really was the player of the future. He moved off to England in about 1990 I think and he never became the player he should have been - not suprisingly, the 1990's England set-up seamed to beat him. He was probably good enough for an international career rather than 3 matches - on the back of his youth he would have played state cricket out here, and probably upset a few people when he turned his back.

Craig

World Traveller
masterblaster said:
Don't forget guys like Owais Shah (Pakistan), Usman Afzaal (Pakistan), Ronald Irani (Half Indian/Half English), Vikram Solanki (Indian), Anurag Singh (Worcestershire man, but Indian obviously), Nasser Hussain (Indian), Kabir Ali (from Kashmir originally I think)

Kadeer Ali, Min Patel.

Andre

International Regular
masterblaster said:

Differant kettle of fish IMO - they all came through the English systems from young ages.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
masterblaster said:

Interesting to look at that list, and there's only one on there who succeeded at the highest level, but as Andre says, it's a different story (a fair few of them were born in England anyway!)

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
So you expected him to stay somewhere when the quota system meant he was strugglig to get a game and thus make a career of it?
Well he didn't give it much of a chance.. I am not going to condone the system in any way because it is a flawed one, but I was disappointed he turned his back so early on...

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SpaceMonkey said:
on the actual topic if i was South African (or other) id think it would be different if someone moved to england at a young age and has basically had their cricketing education in england...but if a player was raised in my country and trained in my country then moves to england in their early teens etc (a la Pieterson) then plays for england id be annoyed that we wasted time / effort / money on that player. I can say i wasnt impressed when Symonds picked Australia over England so i know how it feels ;)
When did Symonds move to Australia? He was playing hockey in my area when he was 13 so he must have been pretty young. I think it's fair to suggest he didn't learn to play cricket like that in England! haha

It only really annoys me when they've come through the academy in the country they were born and then pack up and head somewhere else because they weren't good enough to crack it where they were. But then again, if they're not good enough to make the team in Aus (or wherever it may be) they're hardly going to be a threat.

Last edited: