• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Murali's absence be good for Sri Lanka ?

Will it be good for SL or bad ?

• I'ts good for sri lanka's future

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • It will be bad for sri lanka's success

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Wont make a difference

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
Alot of experts in Sri lanka has said that muralis absence will give younger spinners (ex- lokuarachchi, herath...) a chance to prove their selves or will it affect sri lankas performance ???

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
in the long term itll be good for their performance (new spinners tried out) but in the short term for the champions trophy its probably bad

FRAZ

International Captain
Thats another story to give chance to the younger players.
The thing is Srilanka's recent success has been depending mainly upon him . SO once he is away lets see , what type of a team SRIlanka can be ..
Depending upon a same player is not good for any cause ....

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I've voted that it will be good for the future of Sri Lankan cricket. A chance to try out new blood, etc.

However, in the short term it has to have a detrimental effect on their success. No-one (however much of a one-eyed Murali knocker they are) can seriously contend that they are a better team without him.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Except Richard, who thinks that adding him to the attack didn't significantly strengthen that attack.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think it'll definately be good for them as far as future cricket goes, and I'm not so sure that it'll be bad for them now. We saw with their test victory against SA that they don't necessarily need him to win, and possibly it'll give the captain something to think about as far as bowling options etc go instead of just being lazy and using Murali for a majority of the time from one end (not that you wouldn't I suppose!?).

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
just as son of coco stated.. future wise its certainly good since they can try out different things with their attack.. and see how it holds up without muralitharan.. and see how far they can go and what they can achieve.. because i feel a LOT depends on murali during Sri lankan matches..But in a way it is bad as he could be missing the champions trophy which would be a worry for the Sri Lankan teams hopes of retaining that trophy..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Except Richard, who thinks that adding him to the attack didn't significantly strengthen that attack.
Except that because I never said it won't be expected to, that it just didn't for one particular match, in which his significant figures were 7-22-1.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thing about "giving younger spinners a chance" is that are there any wristspinners around? If so, they'll likely get a chance anyway.
If it just means useless fingerspinners get a chance, it's not going to do much good to anyone.
Fingerspinners are going to get some chances in Sri Lanka anyway, too, and they should do pretty well there.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Irrelevant of figures in that game, Murali significantly improves any attack in the world, and with the Sri Lankan only possessing half a very good bowler (depends on which Chaminda turns up) - he much more than significantly improves it.

NikhilN

International Regular
Both

Good because they will have a chance to try out new spinners who could be good as Murali or near as good as him

Bad because they would be losing the best bowler in the world

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
Thing about "giving younger spinners a chance" is that are there any wristspinners around? If so, they'll likely get a chance anyway.
If it just means useless fingerspinners get a chance, it's not going to do much good to anyone.
Fingerspinners are going to get some chances in Sri Lanka anyway, too, and they should do pretty well there.
I just think it might give the team as a whole to bowl as a tighter unit. Whether any young finger spinners come through at this point is irrelevant in my books, if the Sri Lankan bowlers benefit from being bowled as a team, instead of rotating around Murali, then that will be good for them.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Vande Mataram said:
Good because they will have a chance to try out new spinners who could be good as Murali or near as good as him

Personally I don't think they'll find one anywhere near his level in a long long time.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Murali will not be around for ever and his absence will help them test out some young bowlers for the future. So I say yes its a good thing, but they will probably struggle without him and are unlikely to find another Murali in the near future.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Vande Mataram said:
What if they get training from him?

part of its in the mind, part in his freaky wrist and the othe is in the chuck (some people call it a doosra). there is only so much murali can do for another person in terms of coaching, the rest is up the the individual.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
a massive zebra said:
Murali will not be around for ever and his absence will help them test out some young bowlers for the future. So I say yes its a good thing, but they will probably struggle without him and are unlikely to find another Murali in the near future.
I am astounded to hear that there is apparently another Murali in Pakistan.
I always said I never believed there could possibly be another one ever.
If Tareq Mahmood really can turn the ball the same amount with the same accuracy, regardless of whether he chucks or not, that really is incredible.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Son Of Coco said:
I just think it might give the team as a whole to bowl as a tighter unit. Whether any young finger spinners come through at this point is irrelevant in my books, if the Sri Lankan bowlers benefit from being bowled as a team, instead of rotating around Murali, then that will be good for them.
Tillikeratne seemed to me to bowl Murali far less than Jayasuriya did, and give him rest far more.
It worked a treat against England, too.
Of course, Atapattu hasn't yet captained Murali in a Test, so we'll just have to wait and see how he handles him.
Not entirely sure how many Tests Murali's likely to miss, anyway.
It'd be great if Zoysa became a better bowler in his absence, but let's face it, Nuwan's had plenty of false dawns before and I'm not going to get my hopes up until it keeps going for a bit longer yet.