• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Murali's absence be good for Sri Lanka ?

Will it be good for SL or bad ?

• I'ts good for sri lanka's future

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • It will be bad for sri lanka's success

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Wont make a difference

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
dude said:
umm.. warne has taken some serious tap in the sub continent early in his career.
Career economy rate of 2.55...

Only once has he gone for more than 3.5 an over in a series - that doesn't suggest to me he takes serious tap.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Son Of Coco said:
If he chucks it then it's not incredible in my opinion, you'll turn it more if you chuck it when bowling off-spin - especially with a bit of practice. Chucking should confine you to the "Will never ever play cricket at a high-level" bin.
Most people can't bowl like Murali if they make a complete straightening of their arm.
To have an action like theirs (and I have now managed to procure some film of Tareq - the likeness is uncanny, very much a Saqlain\Shaftab Khalid), whether it is a chuck or not, is extraordinary.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Son Of Coco said:
Ah, dude, wristspinner is a term that has been traditionally used to describe legspinners. Murali, while there has been much debate about how much his wrist plays a part in the delivery, is an off-spinner and thus would traditionally be referred to as a finger spinner.
Murali rather takes traditions out of the picture.
There has never been a bowler like him before.
Personally I just class him as "unorthodox wristspinner" - there is no way on Earth he can possibly be called a fingerspinner.
"Off" and "leg" spin purely refer to the direction in which the ball turns. Warne is an off-spinner to the left-hander. Murali is a leg-spinner to the left-hander.
With left-handers more prevolant than ever today, the old-style "off" and "leg" break classification is pretty much no more.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
Murali rather takes traditions out of the picture.
There has never been a bowler like him before.
Personally I just class him as "unorthodox wristspinner" - there is no way on Earth he can possibly be called a fingerspinner.
"Off" and "leg" spin purely refer to the direction in which the ball turns. Warne is an off-spinner to the left-hander. Murali is a leg-spinner to the left-hander.
With left-handers more prevolant than ever today, the old-style "off" and "leg" break classification is pretty much no more.
It's true off and leg spin do simply refer to the direction the ball turns, but off-spinners have generally been referred to as finger spinners due to the technique used to impart spin on the ball and the same is true for legspinners being called wristspinners. This doesn't change when the bowler faces a left-handed batsman. Murali, admittedly, is a grey area considering how much his wrist is alleged to play a part in the delivery, but the fingers would have to come into it too to impart so much spin - so call him whatever you want really! haha

Son Of Coco

Richard said:
Most people can't bowl like Murali if they make a complete straightening of their arm.
To have an action like theirs (and I have now managed to procure some film of Tareq - the likeness is uncanny, very much a Saqlain\Shaftab Khalid), whether it is a chuck or not, is extraordinary.
I think you'd be surprised Richard. It may not be a complete straightening of the arm, but with a significant straightening you can spin the ball a mile. I'm not saying Murali does this by the way (don't want that argument to start up here again) as tests have indicated that his normal delivery is fine. I've spent a bit of time at training doing my own impersonation, which is blatantly illegal, and with a bit of practice you can land it and it already spins a mile so that's no problem. I've seen a lot of guys at my club (pretty much everyone who bowls) try it too, and you do turn it quite a bit. It creates quite a lot of interest in cricketing circles in my area anyway.......Not even sure if this was the point of the reply anymore, but anyway! haha

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Son Of Coco said:
It's true off and leg spin do simply refer to the direction the ball turns, but off-spinners have generally been referred to as finger spinners due to the technique used to impart spin on the ball and the same is true for legspinners being called wristspinners. This doesn't change when the bowler faces a left-handed batsman. Murali, admittedly, is a grey area considering how much his wrist is alleged to play a part in the delivery, but the fingers would have to come into it too to impart so much spin - so call him whatever you want really! haha
Well, put it this way - fingerspinners use the fingers, wristspinners use the fingers and the wrist.
So you could call it fingerspin and finger-and-wristspin, but I think I'll just use the term wristspin for ease of type\write\speech.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Son Of Coco said:
I think you'd be surprised Richard. It may not be a complete straightening of the arm, but with a significant straightening you can spin the ball a mile. I'm not saying Murali does this by the way (don't want that argument to start up here again) as tests have indicated that his normal delivery is fine. I've spent a bit of time at training doing my own impersonation, which is blatantly illegal, and with a bit of practice you can land it and it already spins a mile so that's no problem. I've seen a lot of guys at my club (pretty much everyone who bowls) try it too, and you do turn it quite a bit. It creates quite a lot of interest in cricketing circles in my area anyway.......Not even sure if this was the point of the reply anymore, but anyway! haha
Wow... you lucky b***ards. I've tried it time and again and I can't bowl it to save my life with straightening or straight arm.

Son Of Coco

Richard said:
Wow... you lucky b***ards. I've tried it time and again and I can't bowl it to save my life with straightening or straight arm.
I can't turn it at all with a normal action. But a throw helps me considerably, not that it's much use.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can you turn in in the direction of Murali? Bowling on a correct-length wicket, hitting it with even 1\10th of his accuracy?
If so I'm amazed because I've never met anyone who can do it and I've met many who have - genuinely - tried.