• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

For all you Ganguly haters...

Bas

Cricket Spectator
I'm sick and tired of all the player-haters that take every opportunity to diss the guy. So this is a thread to defend him against such undeserved abuse.

The first problem people have with him is arrogance.
Dont give me that sh!t. Since when has arrogance been a bad thing for a sportsman? This guy is a competitor, he has spirit, he has testosterone, he has BALLS. It makes him a better player and a better leader.

The same way that arrogance made botham a great player and the same way that arrogance has put Flintoff and McGrath and Hayden where they are. Yet people do not have a problem with these guys.

I mean, even Indian supporters diss him for being arrogant. Come on. If you want your country to be represented by pathetic little soft guys who say never mind that we lost, I guess we're not good enough - then I offer you my sympathy. I guess you have no drive and no idea how to achieve and be successful.

Ganguly is the most successful Indian captain ever. It is his fierce spirit that has brought india so far since the 90s. And his stubborn determination that has seen players such as Yuvraj Singh, Mohammad Kaif, Harbhajan Singh, Virender Sehwag, Zaheer Khan and Ashish Nehra become key performers in the side.

So why do people constantly berate him for his passion and belief?

Swervy

International Captain
well fair do's if the guy is arrogant thats up to him...I just think its a bit misplaced.

You mention Botham, he was a confident player, I dont know whether he was arrogant though, he treated fellow players with respect.

I just dont think he is a very good captain, and to be honest I dont think he is a very good batsman either

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
That's why he said that Pakistan is a place where he would send his mother-in-law. Really very respectful to an entire nation.

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
That's why he said that Pakistan is a place where he would send his mother-in-law. Really very respectful to an entire nation.
Do you know the background behind him saying that....he went there , got very ill apparently,and once bit into a hard boiled egg whilst eating there and bit a half formed chick in half.

Now thats bound to influence your opinion on a country.

Thats Botham just telling it as he saw it.

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:

as i say...he treated his fellow players with respect (as well as his opponents)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Swervy said:
Do you know the background behind him saying that....he went there , got very ill apparently,and once bit into a hard boiled egg whilst eating there and bit a half formed chick in half.

Thats Botham just telling it as he saw it.
Isn't forming general conclusions (albeit ones spoken in jest) from specific examples not unadjacent to racial stereotyping? Not that I'm accusing Both of the big "r" word, think his defence of Viv & Joel way back in their Somerset days proves he's anything but.

With regards to Ganguly, think he gets a lot of flack cos of his expression. Looks as if he thinks he's a little above the rest of us & often looks like he's smelling something unpleasent!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Bas said:
The same way that arrogance made botham a great player and the same way that arrogance has put Flintoff and McGrath and Hayden where they are. Yet people do not have a problem with these guys.

Since when has Flintoff been arrogant?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:

No, That's really a dumb and insulting assessment. I knew people would come up with excuses to defend Botham. I just am amazed at the hypocrisy here, Muralitharan refuses to go to australia because of the boorish behaviour of aussie fans and idiotic remarks by its PM, He is criticized, and here is one man who insults an entire nation just because his chicken was half formed (How can you even believe this ?) and same aussie comes to defend him ?

Its really appaling.

Swervy

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
Isn't forming general conclusions (albeit ones spoken in jest) from specific examples not unadjacent to racial stereotyping? Not that I'm accusing Both of the big "r" word, think his defence of Viv & Joel way back in their Somerset days proves he's anything but.

With regards to Ganguly, think he gets a lot of flack cos of his expression. Looks as if he thinks he's a little above the rest of us & often looks like he's smelling something unpleasent!
yeah ok it was a flippant remark...i quite often say that Bradford is a place I wouldnt wish my worst enemy to live in...I dont think i am being particularly offensive there, or arrogant when I say that..its my opinion, I have my reasons, I have the right to say ...like botham had the right to say what he said, because he was only basing it on his own experience.

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
No, That's really a dumb and insulting assessment. I knew people would come up with excuses to defend Botham. I just am amazed at the hypocrisy here, Muralitharan refuses to go to australia because of the boorish behaviour of aussie fans and idiotic remarks by its PM, He is criticized, and here is one man who insults an entire nation just because his chicken was half formed (How can you even believe this ?) and same aussie comes to defend him ?

Its really appaling.

I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Please dont accuse me of hypocrisy..at no point have I ever criticized Murali for his decision, and I fully understand why he did it.

Sanz, you seem to be making a habit of not beleiving things that people say on here when it suits your arguement

To be honest I would really consider pakistan my choice of destination either, my choice,and I am not saying that to offend...just telling the truth

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
People get ill when they get to new conditions, I really got severe back pain due to the extremely cold winter in US. But I dont go on telling my Americans colleagues that US is a place where I would like to send my mother-in-law.

Ironically it was the same Ian Botham who visited Pakistan recently on a commentry assignment and when asked about his idiotic remarks, he laughed at it.

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
BoyBrumby said:

very true....i guess the perception alot have against gangully is wrong...

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
People get ill when they get to new conditions, I really got severe back pain due to the extremely cold winter in US. But I dont go on telling my Americans colleagues that US is a place where I would like to send my mother-in-law.

Ironically it was the same Ian Botham who visited Pakistan recently on a commentry assignment and when asked about his idiotic remarks, he laughed at it.
Look, Botham just didnt like the place...and he told it how he saw it. It was an off the cuff remark...and quite frankly 20 years down the line, it is no wonder he just laughed it off

bhajji

Banned
i agree ganguly is the best.....

i agree 100% ganguly haters are all losers who are jealous of india's recent success under the best captain in the world hahaha......

Swervy

International Captain
bhajji said:
i agree 100% ganguly haters are all losers who are jealous of india's recent success under the best captain in the world hahaha......

mmmm....thats right...I was so jealous of India losing big twice in the world cup to us

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
No, That's really a dumb and insulting assessment. I knew people would come up with excuses to defend Botham.

Because it was a comment made with his tongue firmly in his cheek.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
bhajji said:
Recent success?

Please remind what exactly this so-called success is?

A 1-1 series against a seriously understrength Aussie side, and a 2-1 win against a typically inconsistent Pakistan.

It's still no series wins outside the Subcontinent since the 80s!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Because it was a comment made with his tongue firmly in his cheek.
Not Really. Botham never played in South Asia after that, Not even Reliance world cup.

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
marc71178 said:
Recent success?

Please remind what exactly this so-called success is?

A 1-1 series against a seriously understrength Aussie side, and a 2-1 win against a typically inconsistent Pakistan.

It's still no series wins outside the Subcontinent since the 80s!
if doesnt matter if theyre typically inconsistent or not they lost, india won. just like england at the mo - winning not losing. as for understrength aussies - we still drew against australia in the record books itll saay 1-1 india/australia it wont say understrenngth australia.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hit4Six said:
if doesnt matter if theyre typically inconsistent or not they lost, india won. just like england at the mo - winning not losing. as for understrength aussies - we still drew against australia in the record books itll saay 1-1 india/australia it wont say understrenngth australia.
It will, but we'll all know why.