• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

For all you Ganguly haters...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Raj123 said:
if we win the aus series(even 1-0) we would be 2nd best. if you think indian success is a delusion, where do you think that leaves england.
England, it's a tricky one, but I think 9 wins in the last 10 matches, and only 3 defeats in over 20 is a pretty successful period.

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
marc71178 said:
England, it's a tricky one, but I think 9 wins in the last 10 matches, and only 3 defeats in over 20 is a pretty successful period.
and drawing a series with australia at home, reaching the WC finals and beating pakistan isnt?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But apart from that, what have they actually done, and to be honest that Test "success" isn't as good as some people like to make out.

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
marc71178 said:
But apart from that, what have they actually done, and to be honest that Test "success" isn't as good as some people like to make out.
but then the same can be said about england, beating a sloppy windies side and an injured nz side? is that as Test "success"?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It goes longer than that though, England beat an Australian side with a stronger bowling line-up than that India drew the series with - yet, nobody went overboard with that win.

Look at the long term figures - India have won 4 of their last 14 games (including gmaes they've played against the Windies and NZ incidentally), and their record over the last 23 games is 7 wins and 7 defeats.

Over 23 games, England have 16 wins and 3 defeats.

So what is success then?

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
marc71178 said:
It goes longer than that though, England beat an Australian side with a stronger bowling line-up than that India drew the series with - yet, nobody went overboard with that win.

Look at the long term figures - India have won 4 of their last 14 games (including gmaes they've played against the Windies and NZ incidentally), and their record over the last 23 games is 7 wins and 7 defeats.

So what is success then?
EDIT: old message was bad

but how have england faired in the one day arena?

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:

So what is success then?
I think the reason no-one has gone overboard when England has beaten Australia before is that they've done it each time at the end of humiliating defeats in the Ashes series. It's nearly always been the last test of the series after they've been down 3,4-0 so I don't think playing up that 'success' would have been looked upon with any feeling of achievement. Previously there's never been any reason to believe that the English team of old actually had the team to match Australia over 5 tests, I'm still not convinced that they do looking at the match-ups but we're going to find out soon enough.

Swervy

International Captain
Hit4Six said:
EDIT: old message was bad

but how have england faired in the one day arena?
no-one disputes Englands failings on the one day game...but as most people would consider test cricket to be the true indicator of strength, test results are more important....and alot of that is to do with all these throwaway tournaments that are always on the go.

Any way, India havent been so good in ODI since the World CUp either

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
Swervy said:
no-one disputes Englands failings on the one day game...but as most people would consider test cricket to be the true indicator of strength, test results are more important....and alot of that is to do with all these throwaway tournaments that are always on the go.

Any way, India havent been so good in ODI since the World CUp either
i think ive been put in my place :huh:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The Indians have crashing downward rapidly since Ganguly took over, and the sooner he's out, the better. The fielding will improve a lot.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The Indians have played far better under Dravid, Kumble, Azhar, Tendulkar and Wadekar, and also Gavaskar, than under Ganguly. At least they won more tournaments. Ones that mattered.

Dean Jones or Hadlee should have been appointed coach of this team.

Swervy

International Captain
Arjun said:
The Indians have played far better under Dravid, Kumble, Azhar, Tendulkar and Wadekar, and also Gavaskar, than under Ganguly. At least they won more tournaments. Ones that mattered.

Dean Jones or Hadlee should have been appointed coach of this team.
Its a good point...no doubt that this Indian team is the most talent, probably ever...and yet India used to win more...suggests to me that previous captains actually got more out of the talent available to them

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
Swervy said:
Its a good point...no doubt that this Indian team is the most talent, probably ever...and yet India used to win more...suggests to me that previous captains actually got more out of the talent available to them
what do you think ganguly is doing wrong then?

Swervy

International Captain
Hit4Six said:
what do you think ganguly is doing wrong then?

I think tactically he is poor (well the last time I saw him he was) and when things are going wrong he doesnt seem to battle it out (his negative body language in those situations is incredibly obvious to see for the oppostion and the audience)

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
do you think dravid would be a better suited captain in tests? *i still think ganguly is a valuable ODI player*

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Hit4Six said:
do you think dravid would be a better suited captain in tests? *i still think ganguly is a valuable ODI player*
Yes, I feel Dravid is tactically superior to Ganguly.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
Son Of Coco said:
I don't think you can count retirement - surely they were aware this was happening
and i guess the suspension caught everyone by surprise (even though they had about 10 months to sink it in) 8-)

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
India's best captain has to be one out of Pataudi, Wadekar, Kapil and Gavaskar.

Of the present lot, Laxman and Dravid are the best, tactically. Ganguly's instinctive methods only owrk for teams overflowing with talent, not full of ordinary players like this side.