• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First the SCG, now the MCG...it is about time!

Waughney

International Debutant
In all honesty I can't see it happening. There really is no basis for changing the venue, all the arguements in that article aren't very convincing to say the least

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Waughney said:
In all honesty I can't see it happening. There really is no basis for changing the venue, all the arguements in that article aren't very convincing to say the least
Perhaps there are three other quality venues around the country who deserve a final?

Waughney

International Debutant
We are talking about the first final of the series? If so the MCG is the only choice, it is the best venue and draws the biggest crowds. There is no way Adelaide could match the MCG (in terms of attendance) especially over a prolonged period of time. The Gabba already has the third final. What is the exact basis of the other venues deserving a final more than the MCG anyway?

Mister Wright

Waughney said:
We are talking about the first final of the series? If so the MCG is the only choice, it is the best venue and draws the biggest crowds. There is no way Adelaide could match the MCG (in terms of attendance) especially over a prolonged period of time. The Gabba already has the third final. What is the exact basis of the other venues deserving a final more than the MCG anyway?
It has nothing to do with which city deserves it more. Fair enough 10 years ago the SCG and the MCG were the only quality venues in Australia. But now the WACA, Adelaide Oval and the 'Gabba are all quality grounds. I'm not saying it should be taken away from the SCG or MCG, but it should be shared round each year.

Waughney

International Debutant
Mister Wright said:
It has nothing to do with which city deserves it more. Fair enough 10 years ago the SCG and the MCG were the only quality venues in Australia. But now the WACA, Adelaide Oval and the 'Gabba are all quality grounds. I'm not saying it should be taken away from the SCG or MCG, but it should be shared round each year.
But surely the most deserved city should get the final? The other grounds get plenty of other matches throughout the series. It only makes sense that the best ground gets the big final.

Mister Wright

Waughney said:
But surely the most deserved city should get the final? The other grounds get plenty of other matches throughout the series. It only makes sense that the best ground gets the big final.
Why? Because they're in Melbourne - good reason. I can guarantee you in Brisbane, even if it was 44 degrees or not Australia the game would be close to sold out. We don't take it for granted up here.

Waughney

International Debutant
Mister Wright said:
Why? Because they're in Melbourne - good reason. I can guarantee you in Brisbane, even if it was 44 degrees or not Australia the game would be close to sold out. We don't take it for granted up here.
No, not because they're Melbourne, it's because they have better attendances, a bigger population and it's the traditional spot for the final. Even if the Gabba was sold out it would only be a half capacity MCG. No need to change, keep it how it is.

biased indian

International Coach
it should be shared as it is done in india

its not fair on other cities as they do in Aus and Eng ,i think in eng they have started staging finals in other places as well arent they!!!!

Mister Wright

Keep up to date mate, the 'Gabba is expanding and will hold close to 60,000. Which is about as many as the MCG get anyway.

Mister Wright

biased indian said:
it should be shared as it is done in india

its not fair on other cities as they do in Aus and Eng ,i think in eng they have started staging finals in other places as well arent they!!!!
Thank you finally some unbiased comments from someone not in Syndey or Melbourne.

Mister Wright

Waughney said:
Which is good no doubt, but as I said before they already get the third final don't they?
No. Third final last year was Adelaide, this year was Brisbane, I'd assume this year will be the WACA.

Waughney

International Debutant
Thank you finally some unbiased comments from someone not in Syndey or Melbourne.
I don't live in Sydney or Melbourne if that's what you're implying, as a matter of fact, I live lot closer to Brisbane :)

biased indian

International Coach
Waughney said:
Which is good no doubt, but as I said before they already get the third final don't they?
when was the last time a third final was required their wasn't one last time i know that for sure :D

Waughney

International Debutant
Mister Wright said:
No. Third final last year was Adelaide, this year was Brisbane, I'd assume this year will be the WACA.
My mistake, however, I still don't see the final being changed away from the MCG.

Craig

World Traveller
Waughney said:
Bit of a token gesture don't you think?

This season I am definatly going to make more of an effort in going to the 'Gabba more often, especially when the Black Caps play there for one of their Tests.

Craig

World Traveller
Waughney said:
I don't live in Sydney or Melbourne if that's what you're implying, as a matter of fact, I live lot closer to Brisbane :)
Tweed Heads? that is in NSW (for those who don't know).