Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: First the SCG, now the MCG...it is about time!

  1. #1
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    24,363

    First the SCG, now the MCG...it is about time!

    Cricketweb Colts Captain



    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

    I'm Green

    The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

  2. #2
    International Debutant Waughney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Outback Aus. Answer's yes, the middle of nowhere
    Posts
    2,699
    In all honesty I can't see it happening. There really is no basis for changing the venue, all the arguements in that article aren't very convincing to say the least
    Member of MSC - Murali Supporters Club

    I'm not too dissimilar a batsman to Bradman.
    Both of us have batting averages below 100.

  3. #3
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    24,363
    Quote Originally Posted by Waughney
    In all honesty I can't see it happening. There really is no basis for changing the venue, all the arguements in that article aren't very convincing to say the least
    Perhaps there are three other quality venues around the country who deserve a final?

  4. #4
    International Debutant Waughney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Outback Aus. Answer's yes, the middle of nowhere
    Posts
    2,699
    We are talking about the first final of the series? If so the MCG is the only choice, it is the best venue and draws the biggest crowds. There is no way Adelaide could match the MCG (in terms of attendance) especially over a prolonged period of time. The Gabba already has the third final. What is the exact basis of the other venues deserving a final more than the MCG anyway?


  5. #5
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    24,363
    Quote Originally Posted by Waughney
    We are talking about the first final of the series? If so the MCG is the only choice, it is the best venue and draws the biggest crowds. There is no way Adelaide could match the MCG (in terms of attendance) especially over a prolonged period of time. The Gabba already has the third final. What is the exact basis of the other venues deserving a final more than the MCG anyway?
    It has nothing to do with which city deserves it more. Fair enough 10 years ago the SCG and the MCG were the only quality venues in Australia. But now the WACA, Adelaide Oval and the 'Gabba are all quality grounds. I'm not saying it should be taken away from the SCG or MCG, but it should be shared round each year.

  6. #6
    International Debutant Waughney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Outback Aus. Answer's yes, the middle of nowhere
    Posts
    2,699
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright
    It has nothing to do with which city deserves it more. Fair enough 10 years ago the SCG and the MCG were the only quality venues in Australia. But now the WACA, Adelaide Oval and the 'Gabba are all quality grounds. I'm not saying it should be taken away from the SCG or MCG, but it should be shared round each year.
    But surely the most deserved city should get the final? The other grounds get plenty of other matches throughout the series. It only makes sense that the best ground gets the big final.

  7. #7
    First Class Debutant nookie_lk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Colombo (RoCks)
    Posts
    869
    who cares anyway
    - This is Your Life...Are You Who You Want to Be -

  8. #8
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    24,363
    Quote Originally Posted by Waughney
    But surely the most deserved city should get the final? The other grounds get plenty of other matches throughout the series. It only makes sense that the best ground gets the big final.
    Why? Because they're in Melbourne - good reason. I can guarantee you in Brisbane, even if it was 44 degrees or not Australia the game would be close to sold out. We don't take it for granted up here.

  9. #9
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    24,363
    Quote Originally Posted by nookie_lk
    who cares anyway
    You, for one.

  10. #10
    International Debutant Waughney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Outback Aus. Answer's yes, the middle of nowhere
    Posts
    2,699
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright
    Why? Because they're in Melbourne - good reason. I can guarantee you in Brisbane, even if it was 44 degrees or not Australia the game would be close to sold out. We don't take it for granted up here.
    No, not because they're Melbourne, it's because they have better attendances, a bigger population and it's the traditional spot for the final. Even if the Gabba was sold out it would only be a half capacity MCG. No need to change, keep it how it is.

  11. #11
    International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    office
    Posts
    11,009
    it should be shared as it is done in india

    its not fair on other cities as they do in Aus and Eng ,i think in eng they have started staging finals in other places as well arent they!!!!
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

  12. #12
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    24,363
    Keep up to date mate, the 'Gabba is expanding and will hold close to 60,000. Which is about as many as the MCG get anyway.

  13. #13
    International Debutant Waughney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Outback Aus. Answer's yes, the middle of nowhere
    Posts
    2,699
    Which is good no doubt, but as I said before they already get the third final don't they?

  14. #14
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    24,363
    Quote Originally Posted by biased indian
    it should be shared as it is done in india

    its not fair on other cities as they do in Aus and Eng ,i think in eng they have started staging finals in other places as well arent they!!!!
    Thank you finally some unbiased comments from someone not in Syndey or Melbourne.

  15. #15
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    24,363
    Quote Originally Posted by Waughney
    Which is good no doubt, but as I said before they already get the third final don't they?
    No. Third final last year was Adelaide, this year was Brisbane, I'd assume this year will be the WACA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. All time XI's
    By iamdavid in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 183
    Last Post: 06-08-2010, 07:54 PM
  2. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-07-2004, 06:36 AM
  3. All Time Pak XII vs All Time Ind XII
    By JBH001 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 09-06-2004, 05:12 PM
  4. So it must be time for Draft
    By Umpire Money in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 04:23 AM
  5. Zimbabwean Cricket: Time for The End
    By Neil Pickup in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 16-05-2004, 10:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •