• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

PWC Ratings Updated

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
From what I seem to have seen some players (Harmison, McGrath for example) haven't lost very many points for poor performances.
McGrath in his 2 matches since his comeback vs Sri lanka took 10-171..hardly poor..also 2/79 in 34 overs in a high scoring test in the last game is pretty good going

And Harmisons 4/44 would have helped him a bit in the last test..he has dropped 2 places though...what do you want..for him to drop out of the top 20 (no need to answer that)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
From what I seem to have seen some players (Harmison, McGrath for example) haven't lost very many points for poor performances.
From 880 to 823 in 3 matches - that is a fair drop.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
McGrath in his 2 matches since his comeback vs Sri lanka took 10-171..hardly poor..also 2/79 in 34 overs in a high scoring test in the last game is pretty good going

And Harmisons 4/44 would have helped him a bit in the last test..he has dropped 2 places though...what do you want..for him to drop out of the top 20 (no need to answer that)
I was referring more to the winter of 2001\02, where McGrath had a sum total of one good Test-match out of 9.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
From 880 to 823 in 3 matches - that is a fair drop.
Such a big one that he's managed to take the number-one spot with one good match following three bad ones.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
2 and a half bad ones, and at least half of one of those games he was hardly bowled to preserve him as the wicket wasn't condusive.

His second innings Old Trafford lead into the Oval nicely.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In that the typical Harmison-saviour cut-to-third-man started it all, and a barrage of poor strokes followed?

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
In that the typical Harmison-saviour cut-to-third-man started it all, and a barrage of poor strokes followed?
a wicket is a wicket.

I tell you if batsmen didnt make all these mistakes, the game would die a death..we would be so bored of seeing scores of 950 for 2 dec etc.so whatif he got a wicket through the batsman cutting the ball to 3rd man...suggests a bit of extra bounce generated by the bowler may have been the batsmans undoing

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, it suggests a poor stroke of a similar kind precipitated a catalogue of wickets for a bowler whose recent figures had been very, very poor indeed. On about 3 occasions.
I am perfectly aware that if batsmen didn't make mistakes the game would be rather boring in this day and age, but the same can be said of bowlers. Every ball would be a dot-ball.
The fact is, it is getting a little irksome that the same thing has happened, as I say, two or three times now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, no, they haven't all been cuts to third-man - but the tirade of Test-wickets from the third-last innings started with one, and his 1st ODI wicket of the summer came from the same shot.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Why?

I thought each ball was individual and has no bearing on any other ball.

Why is suddenly the first wicket the most important?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because it started a tirade.
Surely it's obvious that the start, with a poor ball, caused at least some of what followed?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Whether the batsmen are good is totally irrelevant, what matters is whether the batting is good - there is a very important difference.
Similar to the way Twenty20 is not a batsman's competition - it is a batting competition. If you think about that, you'll realise how true it is.