• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best allrounder of your current national cricket team

Craig

World Traveller
Tom Halsey said:
b) Where's your proof?
5 or so Test centuries in a row, averaging just under the 50 mark with the bat, a match saving century against Australia in 1998/99?

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Behlol said:
My list of best all-rounders is
1.Shoaib Malik
2.Sachin Tendulkar
3.Chris Gayle
4.Andrew Symonds

Assume you're only talking ODIs there (and still missing the best 2 or 3 out!)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Nikhil4eva said:
Pathan and tendulkar
Doesn't an allrounder have to be able to Bat AND bowl?

At a push on recent efforts I can see SRT almost qualifying as an AR (assuming he is continued to be used for 5 or 6 overs a game)

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The best so far are Gilchrist (obviously), Pollock, Kallis (don't count him out yet), Klusener (still has a lot to offer), Flintoff (very unlike the Flintoff of old), Razzaq (but not Naved-ul-hassan!), Styris, Oram, Cairns, Adams, Sanath, and even Gayle.

Why there are none in the Indian team, I can't imagine. It's about time the Indian selectors look up and down the country for some and get them into the team. The indian team would win more than that one ODI series in 3 years if they had a genuine all-rounder.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Behlol said:
My list of best all-rounders is
1.Shoaib Malik
2.Sachin Tendulkar
3.Chris Gayle
4.Andrew Symonds
It's not as good as mine.(see previous pages)

deeps

International 12th Man
flintoff has only been performing on the international stage for the past few months...kallis has been a consistent performer in international cricket for much much longer

flintoff could just be going through a great vein of form....kallis has plenty of great knocks under pressure,and i'd go as far as saying he's in the top 5 batsman in the world..if not,definately top 10

flintoff doesn't even come into consideration

Swervy

International Captain
deeps said:
flintoff has only been performing on the international stage for the past few months...kallis has been a consistent performer in international cricket for much much longer

flintoff could just be going through a great vein of form....kallis has plenty of great knocks under pressure,and i'd go as far as saying he's in the top 5 batsman in the world..if not,definately top 10

flintoff doesn't even come into consideration
we are talking allrounders here...yeah Kallis is a great batsmen who has done very well in the last few years vs poor to average opposition. Flintoff has done very well vs some poor, some average and some good opposition with the bat.

But there is no doubt in my mind that Flintoff is the better bowler of the two..so how Flintoff doesnt come into your consideration is beyond me

deeps

International 12th Man
i was talkin from a batsman point of view.... kallis has performed against all kinds of opposition on all kinds of pitches...flintoff has performed against two/three teams as yet

kallis' bowling is not what it used to be, and i have yet to see freddy bowl, so i'm not debating the bowling side of things, as it's wrong to preach about things you dont' know.. however, ppl were saying that freddi was a better bat than kallis..this is where i disagree.. my previous post had nothing to do with bowling

and yes,i understand that this thread is about all rounders,but batting is a part of bein an all rounder

Swervy

International Captain
deeps said:
i was talkin from a batsman point of view.... kallis has performed against all kinds of opposition on all kinds of pitches...flintoff has performed against two/three teams as yet

kallis' bowling is not what it used to be, and i have yet to see freddy bowl, so i'm not debating the bowling side of things, as it's wrong to preach about things you dont' know.. however, ppl were saying that freddi was a better bat than kallis..this is where i disagree.. my previous post had nothing to do with bowling

and yes,i understand that this thread is about all rounders,but batting is a part of bein an all rounder
i think earlier in this thread I put a list of the last 10 centuries Kallis has hit, I think 9 of them were on the African continent (SA or Zimb) and I think all of them were what everyone here seems to consider to be poor opposition...whereas Flintoff had a successful time of it vs SA last year

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
deeps said:
however, ppl were saying that freddi was a better bat than kallis..
I don't think anyone has said that?

deeps said:

As is bowling, and the way Kallis' bowling is going, he's losing the AR status.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
It's about time Dalmiya strikes crucial deals to get three of these players in the Indian team. Far better than all those extra batsmen and bowlers who are weak at other departments.

Swervy

International Captain
Arjun said:
It's about time Dalmiya strikes crucial deals to get three of these players in the Indian team. Far better than all those extra batsmen and bowlers who are weak at other departments.
well I am not so sure about this allrounder business being the key to a teams success . For me, the allrounder has to be world class in both batting and bowling (and indeed fielding) to justify his place...if he isnt, then he isnt a top notch allrounder,and shouldnt be picked considering his weaker discipline. This is where England are falling down in ODI...if they were picking genuine allrounders of a top class, then ok...but all these 'bits and pieces' players are just not good enough.

Would rather have a line up as follows:

Opener
Opener
Genuine batsman
Genuine Batsman
Genuine Batsman
Flintoff type allrounder
WK
genuine Bowler
Genuine Bowler
Genuine Bowler

as opposed to

Opener
Opener
genuine Batsman
Bit and pieces
Bits and Pieces
Bit and Pieces
WK
Bits and Pieces
Bits and Pieces
Bowler
Bowler

that said (if we forget about Gilchrist, who admittedly does give Australia an added option), Australia have coped very well without what one would consider an allrounder of the calibre of Flintoff,Cairns,Dev,Botham type.

So I dont think India NEED a genuine allrounder (no Tendulkar or Sehwag dont count), the batting is strong enough to choose 5 main line bowlers in my opinion

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Swervy said:
Would rather have a line up as follows:

Opener
Opener
Genuine batsman
Genuine Batsman
Genuine Batsman
Flintoff type allrounder
WK
genuine Bowler