• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Awards Nominees to be announced

gio

U19 Cricketer
Having just seen the panel, I think it's very unlikely that any Englishman will win the awards. As well as current captains and officials, the "legends of the game and media representatives" is made up of:

# Michael Atherton - England
# Martin Crowe - New Zealand
# Kapil Dev - India
# Sunil Gavaskar - India
# Ian Healy - Australia
# Michael Holding - West Indies
# David Houghton - Zimbabwe
# Graeme Pollock - South Africa
# Barry Richards - South Africa
# Sidath Wettimuny - Sri Lanka
# Rajan Bala - Asian Age, India
# Tony Cozier - media commentator, West Indies

Michael Atherton is overly fair, i.e. he's probably more biased towards other nations than England, Indians and Australians are usually patriotic and biased, Pollock and Richards haven't seen Flintoff or Harmy at their very best, while the emotional and ultra patriotic Tony Cozier will still be feeling it after getting destroyed by Freddie and harmy. My only hope is that Mickey, David Houghton and Martin Crowe, who have seen both of them at their best, give them a vote.

masterblaster

International Captain
For Me:

Irfan Pathan wins Young Emerging Player
Ricky Ponting or Sachin Tendulkar for ODI Player
Rahul Dravid For Test Batsman
Steve Harmison for Test Bowler

Dare I say, Rahul Dravid for Cricketer of the Year too.

I for one hope he gets both awards (if possible), Dravid deserves every bit of it.

FRAZ

International Captain
masterblaster said:
For Me:

Irfan Pathan wins Young Emerging Player
Ricky Ponting or Sachin Tendulkar for ODI Player
Rahul Dravid For Test Batsman
Steve Harmison for Test Bowler

Dare I say, Rahul Dravid for Cricketer of the Year too.

I for one hope he gets both awards (if possible), Dravid deserves every bit of it.
Steve Harmison must be the luckiest person from "the remeining world" to be in this list .. lol .. No offense but yeah Dravid for sure deserves that ...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Why does Harmison have to be luckiest?

He's taken a lot of wickets in the time period that the awards cover.

FRAZ

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Why does Harmison have to be luckiest?

He's taken a lot of wickets in the time period that the awards cover.
He hardly made his way through this Masterblaster's list ............ Not mine ....

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think Pathan as emerging player.

Ponting as ODI player of the year.

Lara as test player of the year.

Dravid as player of the year.

delkap

State Vice-Captain
IMO

Pathan as emerging player
Sachin/Ponting as ODI player
Dravid as Test player
Dravid as Cricketer of the year

One thing I don't get: How the hell did VVS get nominated for ODI Player of the year ?? What was the committe who nominated him thinking? He has 4 centuries and rest faliures, certainly not worthy of this nomination IMO

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Hit4Six said:
The nominees for the Emerging Player of the Year are:

Tino Best (West Indies) :blink:
Michael Clarke (Australia)
Imran Farhat (Pakistan)
Umar Gul (Pakistan)
Yasir Hameed (Pakistan)
Hamish Marshall (New Zealand)
Irfan Pathan (India)
Devon Smith (West Indies)

The nominees for the One-Day International Player of the Year are:

Stephen Fleming (New Zealand)
Andrew Flintoff (England)
Chris Gayle (West Indies)

Adam Gilchrist (Australia)
Jason Gillespie (Australia)
Matthew Hayden (Australia)
Jacques Kallis (South Africa)
VVS Laxman (India)
Muttiah Muralitharan (Sri Lanka)
Shaun Pollock (South Africa)
Ricky Ponting (Australia)
Abdur Razzaq (Pakistan)
Sachin Tendulkar (India)
Heath Streak (Zimbabwe)
Andrew Symonds (Australia)
Chaminda Vaas (Sri Lanka)
Daniel Vettori (New Zealand)

The nominees for the Test Player of the Year are:

Rahul Dravid (India)
Adam Gilchrist (Australia)
Jason Gillespie (Australia)
Steve Harmison (England)
Brian Lara (West Indies)
VVS Laxman (India)
Virender Sehwag (India)

The nominees for the Player of the Year are:

Rahul Dravid (India)
Steve Harmison (England)
Brian Lara (West Indies)
VVS Laxman (India)
Virender Sehwag (India)

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
gio said:
Having just seen the panel, I think it's very unlikely that any Englishman will win the awards. As well as current captains and officials, the "legends of the game and media representatives" is made up of:

# Michael Atherton - England
# Martin Crowe - New Zealand
# Kapil Dev - India
# Sunil Gavaskar - India
# Ian Healy - Australia
# Michael Holding - West Indies
# David Houghton - Zimbabwe
# Graeme Pollock - South Africa
# Barry Richards - South Africa
# Sidath Wettimuny - Sri Lanka
# Rajan Bala - Asian Age, India
# Tony Cozier - media commentator, West Indies

Michael Atherton is overly fair, i.e. he's probably more biased towards other nations than England, Indians and Australians are usually patriotic and biased, Pollock and Richards haven't seen Flintoff or Harmy at their very best, while the emotional and ultra patriotic Tony Cozier will still be feeling it after getting destroyed by Freddie and harmy. My only hope is that Mickey, David Houghton and Martin Crowe, who have seen both of them at their best, give them a vote.
Australians and Indians are usually patriotic and biased!? Of course we are, you guys have no chance that's 4 out of 12.........in all the time I spent in England I never saw evidence of patriotism or bias! haha :p

Deja moo

International Captain
gio said:
Michael Atherton is overly fair, i.e. he's probably more biased towards other nations than England,
So you want an Englishman there or not ?
Indians and Australians are usually patriotic and biased,
........OK
Pollock and Richards haven't seen Flintoff or Harmy at their very best,
It wasnt their fault ! The cable guy cut their connections.
while the emotional and ultra patriotic Tony Cozier will still be feeling it after getting destroyed by Freddie and harmy.
yeah ,life sucks !
My only hope is that Mickey, David Houghton and Martin Crowe, who have seen both of them at their best, give them a vote.
phew ! England have a chance after all !

(NOTE : Those are not necessarily my views , only my attempt at decoding GIO's arguments )

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Pathan, Laxman, Harmison & Flintoff

Call me crazy but I think Laxman had a pretty good TVS series in India, VB series in Australia and Decent India-Pak in ODI series ( a total of 5 centuries) :)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
<quack> Nominations for the Cricket Authors' Devil-Ducky-Inspired Cricketing Kings ('CADDICKs') will be announced next week

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Son Of Coco said:
Australians and Indians are usually patriotic and biased!? Of course we are, you guys have no chance that's 4 out of 12.........in all the time I spent in England I never saw evidence of patriotism or bias! haha :p
<quack> That's cos you Aussies are always on the wrong side of the bar, drinking the profits to be able to see anything beyond the bottom of your glass.

Now, now, DD. The first time you've ever commented on anything Son of Coco said and you just wade straight in and rip his head off

<quack> When was the last time you ever saw an Englishman serving behind a bar? That's the reason we've got this godforsaken lager rubbish taking over the world. It's an Aussie-inspired conspiracy.

I see your point.

cbuts

International Debutant
Samuel_Vimes said:
In no particular order:

Test Player of the Year: Rahul Dravid, Ricky Ponting, Steve Harmison, Shane Warne, Jacques Kallis
ODI Player of the Year: Can only think of Fleming...possibly some Australians too
Emerging Player of the Year: Irfan Pathan, Chris Martin, Hamish Marshall, Fidel Edwards, Dwayne Bravo
Player of the Year: Fleming, Ponting, Dravid, Kallis, Harmison

bit delayed i know, but martin wouldnt qualify for emerging player