Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Negative spin bowling...

Pinball Champion!

Negative spin bowling...

Why was Ashley Giles pilloried for bowling a negative line outside the right handers leg stump, yet Ramnaresh Sarwan who always bowls around the wicket outside the right handers legstump is not?

Surely they are spinning the ball the same way, both looking to pitch the ball in the rough outside leg stump... Yet Sarwan is "looking for the rough" and Giles is "bowling negatively"?

Just an observation after watching him bowl today...
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Could it be because Giles is picked as a bowler, but Sarwan isn't?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    its probably more to do with the 'surely England cant be good, and if they are, there is a dodgy reason for it' brigade
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

Exactly.

I wonder what sort of reaction there would be on here if Australia had won a game in the manner England did today?

Pinball Champion!
    Exactly.

I wonder what sort of reaction there would be on here if Australia had won a game in the manner England did today?
    "OI, Bruce... Chuck another shrimp on the barbie mate... So what's it tonight? Sheep or Sheila?
    Neither mate, get me another can of warm **** in a blue can"...

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Exactly.

Clinical seizing of the moment in the field and professional run chasing I guess.

As opposed to luck against poor side.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

A similar clinical effort to the first 3 Tests in the West Indies and the 3 games in the NZ series.

In each of those games, it was one or 2 sessions when England upped their game, and won it fairly comfortably from an even position.

7 times in 10 games is too much to just be conincidence?

england is so obviously playing fantastic cricket now...if anyone says it is due to negative or dodgy tactics or luck, they clearly don't know the game...
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anil
    england is so obviously playing fantastic cricket now...if anyone says it is due to negative or dodgy tactics or luck, they clearly don't know the game...
    Word...

Just like the South Africans of the nineties.. And then they come up against some Australian fellows and suddenly everything is doom and gloom again... Things are very fickle...

Breakout Champion!
    I also think it has something to do with Sarwan being a wrist spinner, while Giles is a humble left arm finger spinner. Shane Warne has changed many peoples thinking to going around the wicket, and now, whenever a leggie goes around the wicket it is seen as more positive than other spinners

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Word...

Just like the South Africans of the nineties.. And then they come up against some Australian fellows and suddenly everything is doom and gloom again... Things are very fickle...
    Personally I think it's more likely to happen when they come-up against the South Africans this winter...
    I can't imagine Graeme and co. letting this bowling get away with bowling them out for 400 or less very often. And 400 is a pretty good effort and gives you a good chance of getting a first-innings lead or a small deficit ATM. But if they get it right there'll be regular 600s I reckon.
    Not many of this likely squad have played in South Africa before, either. And none of them have had any success there. I'd guess Trescothick will start failing again, for one thing.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    A similar clinical effort to the first 3 Tests in the West Indies and the 3 games in the NZ series.

In each of those games, it was one or 2 sessions when England upped their game, and won it fairly comfortably from an even position.

7 times in 10 games is too much to just be conincidence?
    Beating what's put in front of you is all anyone can be reasonably asked to do.
    What comes will come and we'll judge it when it does.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    its probably more to do with the 'surely England cant be good, and if they are, there is a dodgy reason for it' brigade
    haha, maybe some of us are just a little bit more cautious. England have obviously improved, but on previous occasions have gotten very excited after having beaten Bangladesh, and losing to India/holding S.L to a draw at home only to find things a bit more miserable in the Ashes Tests. Obviously, though, they have improved a great deal - we will only find out how much when next year rolls around. Personally, I still don't think they match up, but could be proven horribly wrong next year!

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco
    haha, maybe some of us are just a little bit more cautious. England have obviously improved, but on previous occasions have gotten very excited after having beaten Bangladesh, and losing to India/holding S.L to a draw at home only to find things a bit more miserable in the Ashes Tests. Obviously, though, they have improved a great deal - we will only find out how much when next year rolls around. Personally, I still don't think they match up, but could be proven horribly wrong next year!

Oh I dont think England are in a position to beat us next year (unless they continue improving of course), but I dont think they will be humiliated...its shaping up to be the tightest Ashes series since 81

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    Negative Spin is Wrong always bowl Flighted

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information