• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why do Australians get special treatment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Cricket Spectator
Why? Yes they are the best team in he world with some of the best players. But that doesn't mean they're above the rules.

Here are some examples - just think how the world's response might have been different if the players had been from the Indian subcontinent....

Mark Waugh and Shane Warne had dealings with a bookmaker. Both escape any sort of punishment and the media aren't really interested.

Shane Warne failed a drugs test and is banned for just 1 year. And when he returns, he is welcomed by the media as a hero.

If any other team complains about a bowler's action, they are condemned as whingers - just making excuses for their own poor performances. But when Jermaine Lawson or Murali rattles the Aussies, they complain and the bowler is investigated and likely to be suspended.

So why is it the Australians are above accusations of corruption and foul play? This thread is not for debating the truth of these accusations. The point I wish to make is that the media vultures which are so keen to discredit other teams - particularly teams from the subcontinent - have only good things to say about the australians.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
I do not think Australia get special treatment.

The reason Warne came back a hero was because he IS one.

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
what i dont understand is why was Azarudin was banned for life and warne and waugh was not banned at all for contacting bookies. was it the same crime they did or was Azars one more serious ??

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
i dont think giving the respective board to decide is fair.... ainit ? the ICC should be deciding and bieng fair to all players.

Dasa

The Australian media aren't known for criticising Australians with regards to sport. Sport seems to be sacred around here.

The reason Warne came back a hero was because he IS one.
Why is he a hero? What did he do to deserve the title of hero? Did he save any lives?
That's another thing, the title of hero is used way too much here. You make a couple of 100s, suddenly you're a hero. It's ridiculous.
No sportsmen/sportswomen are real heroes.

Last edited:

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
Dasa said:
Why is he a hero? What did he do to deserve the title of hero? Did he save any lives?
That's another thing, the title of hero is used way too much here. You make a couple of 100s, suddenly you're a hero. It's ridiculous.
i disagree with the second point, saving lives isnt the only attribute which makes someone a hero, isnt inspiring hope into millions an attribute of a hero *ala SRT* or even a professional hero someone who worked hard to get where they are and earned the position theyre in?

Mr. P

Dasa said:
The Australian media aren't known for criticising Australians with regards to sport. Sport seems to be sacred around here.

Maybe he doesn't deserve the title of hero. But I agree with Hit4six, anyone can be a hero. IMO being a hero is inspiring people and I know I can speak personally to say I have family members who are heros...do they deserve it?

Steve Waugh is a good example of a hero. That ton against England united a nation.

Waughney

International Debutant
Dasa said:

Lance Armstrong to name just one, he's saving lives with his cancer foundation, Steve Waugh is with his Udayan centre. Many sportsmen/women have not only excelled in thier sport but have used this success to save/drastically improve lives, which I believe warrants them a "hero" status, but then it comes down to how you define hero....

Craig

World Traveller
Dasa said:
You mean 'is'.

Otherwise I would agree with you.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
special treatment? youre kidding me... they get treated all the same!! and warne is a "hero" IMO, a great bowler.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bas said:
Why? Yes they are the best team in he world with some of the best players. But that doesn't mean they're above the rules.

Here are some examples - just think how the world's response might have been different if the players had been from the Indian subcontinent....

Mark Waugh and Shane Warne had dealings with a bookmaker. Both escape any sort of punishment and the media aren't really interested.

Shane Warne failed a drugs test and is banned for just 1 year. And when he returns, he is welcomed by the media as a hero.

If any other team complains about a bowler's action, they are condemned as whingers - just making excuses for their own poor performances. But when Jermaine Lawson or Murali rattles the Aussies, they complain and the bowler is investigated and likely to be suspended.

So why is it the Australians are above accusations of corruption and foul play? This thread is not for debating the truth of these accusations. The point I wish to make is that the media vultures which are so keen to discredit other teams - particularly teams from the subcontinent - have only good things to say about the australians.
Mate, I'm an Aussie, and I agree with you.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
What I have always failed to understand is why Azhar got banned for life when he was not even proven guilty? At the same time waugh and warne were let off. And so was Wasim Akram.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Bas said:
So why is it the Australians are above accusations of corruption and foul play? This thread is not for debating the truth of these accusations
Accusations which are almost 100% twisted from the actual facts in order to try and cause a flame war you mean?

Bas said:
Yes, because they gave a weather report - nothing else. They did not attempt to fix matches or anything.

They were in fact fined, and there was a media outcry when it came to light.

Bas said:
He did not fail a drugs test as such, he was found to have a prohibited masking agent in his blood-stream - courtesy of a pill which he misguidedly took for vanity reasons.

Bas said:
Bowlers being reported by the Match Referee - how is that the fault of the Australian team?

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
He did not fail a drugs test as such, he was found to have a prohibited masking agent in his blood-stream - courtesy of a pill which he misguidedly took for vanity reasons = in simple words FAILED a DRUG TEST

Bowlers being reported by the Match Referee - how is that the fault of the Australian team?
why is it all the time a AUSSIE match refreee or a AUSSIE umpire who reports MOSTLY/ONLY subcontinent players ???

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Yes, because they gave a weather report - nothing else. They did not attempt to fix matches or anything.

They were in fact fined, and there was a media outcry when it came to light.
Not to mention that Mark Waugh was booed to the wicket by many of his own country's fans when he came to the wicket in the Adelaide Test the morning of which it all came out.
The ACB and ICC should never have covered it up and they were rightly condemned for doing so.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
nookie_lk said:
why is it all the time a AUSSIE match refreee or a AUSSIE umpire who reports MOSTLY/ONLY subcontinent players ???
Because Ross Emerson is a total **** and Darrell Hair has always been a slightly over-suspicious Umpire who has called bowlers from all over The World (Grant Flower, for example).
I can't think of an Aussie Referee who has reported a bowler.
The problems with obstinate and I-think-I-know-better-than-people-who-I-can't-possibly-know-better-than (ie learned scientists) attitudes comes mainly from the public, not Umpires or Referees. Emerson was never a worthy Umpire, he was just a part of that I-think-I-know-better group.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The one thing Aussies tend to get special treatment from is that sledging and crowd abuse is considered "that's the way they play" and "that's the way it is in Australia".
While other players and crowds are rightly condemned when they transgress, usually Australians aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.