Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 156

Thread: Why do Australians get special treatment?

  1. #1
    Bas
    Bas is offline
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    UK cat
    Posts
    16

    Why do Australians get special treatment?

    Why? Yes they are the best team in he world with some of the best players. But that doesn't mean they're above the rules.

    Here are some examples - just think how the world's response might have been different if the players had been from the Indian subcontinent....


    Mark Waugh and Shane Warne had dealings with a bookmaker. Both escape any sort of punishment and the media aren't really interested.

    Shane Warne failed a drugs test and is banned for just 1 year. And when he returns, he is welcomed by the media as a hero.

    If any other team complains about a bowler's action, they are condemned as whingers - just making excuses for their own poor performances. But when Jermaine Lawson or Murali rattles the Aussies, they complain and the bowler is investigated and likely to be suspended.

    So why is it the Australians are above accusations of corruption and foul play? This thread is not for debating the truth of these accusations. The point I wish to make is that the media vultures which are so keen to discredit other teams - particularly teams from the subcontinent - have only good things to say about the australians.

  2. #2
    International Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    .
    Posts
    4,710
    I do not think Australia get special treatment.

    The reason Warne came back a hero was because he IS one.

  3. #3
    First Class Debutant nookie_lk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Colombo (RoCks)
    Posts
    869
    what i dont understand is why was Azarudin was banned for life and warne and waugh was not banned at all for contacting bookies. was it the same crime they did or was Azars one more serious ??
    - This is Your Life...Are You Who You Want to Be -

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Pali Hill-Bombay
    Posts
    2,535
    And Azhar wasn't even proven guilty, it was all allegations. I guess it's their respective Boards decision


  5. #5
    First Class Debutant nookie_lk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Colombo (RoCks)
    Posts
    869
    i dont think giving the respective board to decide is fair.... ainit ? the ICC should be deciding and bieng fair to all players.

  6. #6
    International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,955
    The Australian media aren't known for criticising Australians with regards to sport. Sport seems to be sacred around here.

    The reason Warne came back a hero was because he IS one.
    Why is he a hero? What did he do to deserve the title of hero? Did he save any lives?
    That's another thing, the title of hero is used way too much here. You make a couple of 100s, suddenly you're a hero. It's ridiculous.
    No sportsmen/sportswomen are real heroes.
    Last edited by Dasa; 16-08-2004 at 03:38 AM.

  7. #7
    U19 Debutant
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    My bedroom
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasa
    Why is he a hero? What did he do to deserve the title of hero? Did he save any lives?
    That's another thing, the title of hero is used way too much here. You make a couple of 100s, suddenly you're a hero. It's ridiculous.
    No sportsmen/sportswomen are real heroes.
    i disagree with the second point, saving lives isnt the only attribute which makes someone a hero, isnt inspiring hope into millions an attribute of a hero *ala SRT* or even a professional hero someone who worked hard to get where they are and earned the position theyre in?
    Best batsman = Rahul Dravid
    Best bowler = Muttiah Muralitharan

  8. #8
    International Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    .
    Posts
    4,710
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasa
    The Australian media aren't known for criticising Australians with regards to sport. Sport seems to be sacred around here.


    Why is he a hero? What did he do to deserve the title of hero? Did he save any lives?
    That's another thing, the title of hero is used way too much here. You make a couple of 100s, suddenly you're a hero. It's ridiculous.
    No sportsmen/sportswomen are real heroes.
    Maybe he doesn't deserve the title of hero. But I agree with Hit4six, anyone can be a hero. IMO being a hero is inspiring people and I know I can speak personally to say I have family members who are heros...do they deserve it?

    Steve Waugh is a good example of a hero. That ton against England united a nation.

  9. #9
    International Debutant Waughney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Outback Aus. Answer's yes, the middle of nowhere
    Posts
    2,699
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasa
    The Australian media aren't known for criticising Australians with regards to sport. Sport seems to be sacred around here.


    Why is he a hero? What did he do to deserve the title of hero? Did he save any lives?
    That's another thing, the title of hero is used way too much here. You make a couple of 100s, suddenly you're a hero. It's ridiculous.
    No sportsmen/sportswomen are real heroes.
    Lance Armstrong to name just one, he's saving lives with his cancer foundation, Steve Waugh is with his Udayan centre. Many sportsmen/women have not only excelled in thier sport but have used this success to save/drastically improve lives, which I believe warrants them a "hero" status, but then it comes down to how you define hero....
    Member of MSC - Murali Supporters Club

    I'm not too dissimilar a batsman to Bradman.
    Both of us have batting averages below 100.

  10. #10
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasa
    The Australian media aren't known for criticising Australians with regards to sport. Sport seems to be sacred around here.
    You mean 'is'.

    Otherwise I would agree with you.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

  11. #11
    You'll Never Walk Alone Nate's Avatar
    Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New South Wales
    Posts
    26,891
    special treatment? youre kidding me... they get treated all the same!! and warne is a "hero" IMO, a great bowler.
    Jesus saves

    proudly supporting Liverpool FC

  12. #12
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    24,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Bas
    Why? Yes they are the best team in he world with some of the best players. But that doesn't mean they're above the rules.

    Here are some examples - just think how the world's response might have been different if the players had been from the Indian subcontinent....


    Mark Waugh and Shane Warne had dealings with a bookmaker. Both escape any sort of punishment and the media aren't really interested.

    Shane Warne failed a drugs test and is banned for just 1 year. And when he returns, he is welcomed by the media as a hero.

    If any other team complains about a bowler's action, they are condemned as whingers - just making excuses for their own poor performances. But when Jermaine Lawson or Murali rattles the Aussies, they complain and the bowler is investigated and likely to be suspended.

    So why is it the Australians are above accusations of corruption and foul play? This thread is not for debating the truth of these accusations. The point I wish to make is that the media vultures which are so keen to discredit other teams - particularly teams from the subcontinent - have only good things to say about the australians.
    Mate, I'm an Aussie, and I agree with you.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain



    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

    I'm Green

    The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

  13. #13
    You'll Never Walk Alone Nate's Avatar
    Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New South Wales
    Posts
    26,891
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright
    Mate, I'm an Aussie, and I agree with you.
    bah bloody humbug.

  14. #14
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    24,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden
    bah bloody humbug.
    Not all Australians think that Warne walks on water.

  15. #15
    Banned ReallyCrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,202
    What I have always failed to understand is why Azhar got banned for life when he was not even proven guilty? At the same time waugh and warne were let off. And so was Wasim Akram.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Your Special Abilities
    By Top_Cat in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 27-11-2004, 03:51 PM
  2. special india v pakistan tournament
    By thehellraiser in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28-04-2004, 12:31 PM
  3. @ Australians
    By esgallindeion in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 14-10-2003, 02:36 PM
  4. The Future Champions of Test Cricket
    By Shawn Badyk in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-07-2003, 03:11 AM
  5. Special
    By Rich2001 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 29-06-2002, 03:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •