• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why do Australians get special treatment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, but people also have to accept that what Warne and Waugh did is nothing like what they did.

Legglancer

State Regular
marc71178 said:
Yes, but people also have to accept that what Warne and Waugh did is nothing like what they did.
Why ???? Any body who believe that Warne And Waugh gave actual weather reports is totally biased and delusional..... 8-)

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Legglancer said:
Why ???? Any body who believe that Warne And Waugh gave actual weather reports is totally biased and delusional..... 8-)
as opposed to being predisposed, totally biased and delusional?

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
And dodgy dealings - in that case I demand all weather-forecasters are banned from ever giving us weather reports in the future, as they're clearly having dodgy dealings with the general public in telling us what the weather is going to do in exchange for money!
First of all, it was not just weather, but also pitch reports.

And how do we know that this whole deal was only about those two types of information ? Because Waugh and Warne said so, eh ? Did ACB do a full fledged investigation involving the boards and law enforcement agencies of the country where it took place or anything of that sort ? ....hell, ACB didn't even tell anybody about the thing for four years !! :@ :@

So why is it that you are going to believe as gospel what those two guys said about the incident, while you are not going to believe when Azhar or Malik says that they are innocent.

As for me, I think all these guys are crooks that have no place in cricket.I am happy that Azhar, Malik and those guys are not playing anymore, but I am also peeved at why the whole issue of Warne and Waugh was allowed to go under the rug without much investigation.

Scallywag

Banned
Bas said:
Why? Yes they are the best team in he world with some of the best players. But that doesn't mean they're above the rules.

Here are some examples - just think how the world's response might have been different if the players had been from the Indian subcontinent....

Mark Waugh and Shane Warne had dealings with a bookmaker. Both escape any sort of punishment and the media aren't really interested.

Shane Warne failed a drugs test and is banned for just 1 year. And when he returns, he is welcomed by the media as a hero.

If any other team complains about a bowler's action, they are condemned as whingers - just making excuses for their own poor performances. But when Jermaine Lawson or Murali rattles the Aussies, they complain and the bowler is investigated and likely to be suspended.

So why is it the Australians are above accusations of corruption and foul play? This thread is not for debating the truth of these accusations. The point I wish to make is that the media vultures which are so keen to discredit other teams - particularly teams from the subcontinent - have only good things to say about the australians.
Both Warne and Waugh were punished, both were fined and the media had a field day with the story, it was in all the papers and all over the TV in Australia.

In regards to the question about Warne can you elaborate how the media treated Tendulkar and Dravid in India when they were caught tampering with the ball.

Australia have never complained about Murali or Lawson.

Your argument has no basis and is built on half truths and misleading statements.

Scallywag

Banned
aussie_beater said:
So why is it that you are going to believe as gospel what those two guys said about the incident, while you are not going to believe when Azhar or Malik says that they are innocent.

As for me, I think all these guys are crooks that have no place in cricket.I am happy that Azhar, Malik and those guys are not playing anymore, but I am also peeved at why the whole issue of Warne and Waugh was allowed to go under the rug without much investigation.
Probably the same reason no body believed or did anything when Dean Jones made it public that he had been offered money to fix matches.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
yawn...more jealous cricket fans. Be honest with yourselves, Australia doesn't get special treatment nomatter how much you think we do. Your nations are just as bad.

Get over it.

Deja moo

International Captain
Mr. P said:
yawn...more jealous cricket fans. Be honest with yourselves, Australia doesn't get special treatment nomatter how much you think we do. Your nations are just as bad.

Get over it.
Mr. P's sig :
If you wish to point out my mistakes, please do so in a hysterical, ironic way, so as to entertain us all.

How come youre not practising what you preach ?

Bas

Cricket Spectator
Scallywag said:
Both Warne and Waugh were punished, both were fined and the media had a field day with the story, it was in all the papers and all over the TV in Australia.

In regards to the question about Warne can you elaborate how the media treated Tendulkar and Dravid in India when they were caught tampering with the ball.

Australia have never complained about Murali or Lawson.

Your argument has no basis and is built on half truths and misleading statements.
Look - you prove my point with that ball-tampering incident. OK, the Indian media supported the Indian players. But the rest of the world were muttering "bloody Indian cheats" were they not?
Whereas the response to Waugh and Warne was that they were honest, fair players who had just made a silly mistake. The same goes for the Warne drugs scandal. He has come out unscathed.

Bas

Cricket Spectator
marc71178 said:
Stewart?!!!!!!!!
That's the sort of disgusting attitude I cannot stand.

Of course, the players from the subcontinent are guilty until proven innocent but one of our fine upstanding English gentlemen? Never. He cannot possibly be dishonest in any way.

I know stewart is is innocent, but its funny how that was assumed from the very beginning simply because he was English.

Bas

Cricket Spectator
marc71178 said:
He did not fail a drugs test as such, he was found to have a prohibited masking agent in his blood-stream - courtesy of a pill which he misguidedly took for vanity reasons.
Haha. The magical power of "as such".

Bas

Cricket Spectator
marc71178 said:
Bowlers being reported by the Match Referee - how is that the fault of the Australian team?
Of course its not the fault of the Australian team. I do not have a problem with the players. Their conduct is no better or worse than any other team.

My problem is how they are treated by the media and authorities. Match referees seem to be more likely to report bowlers if they perform well against australia.

Swervy

International Captain
Bas said:
Look - you prove my point with that ball-tampering incident. OK, the Indian media supported the Indian players. But the rest of the world were muttering "bloody Indian cheats" were they not?
Whereas the response to Waugh and Warne was that they were honest, fair players who had just made a silly mistake. The same goes for the Warne drugs scandal. He has come out unscathed.
Ball tampering is cheating, in that it can alter the result of a game
passing info to someone about weather conditions,pitch etc is not cheating, in that it will not alter the result of a game.
Warne was never found to be taking performance enhancing drugs and so didnt alter the result of any game through cheating.

Swervy

International Captain
Bas said:
I know stewart is is innocent, but its funny how that was assumed from the very beginning simply because he was English.
well i would say that most people made a pretty good judgement call in this case, seeing as he was innocent

Scallywag

Banned
Former Pakistan captain Imran Khan has said that the betting scandal has been blown out of all proportion.

Imran said the episode was "trivial" and added: "The only confusion is why it has been declared so late, it's the Australian Cricket Board which is responsible for creating all this fuss."

Imran said he believed that what the Australian players had done did not even amount to a "fineable offence."

That is Imrans take on the issue and he's from the sub continent.

Reflecting the extent of soul-searching and disappointment across the cricket loving country, Prime Minister John Howard said he shared a feeling of intense disappointment with cricket-loving Australians over the bookmaker scandal.

Now why didnt everybody jump on Howards back when he said this, is it because they only jump on his back when he talks about Asian players which would mean that Asians treat Australians with double standards.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dar said:
I agree with everything Bas said in the first post. Yes, Murali may have been reported by the match referee but why was it only when he played Australia that they complained. He's been bowling the doosra for years only when it affects australia the report it. Warne failed a drugs test, simple as that he took a banned substance plus he had dodgy dealings with bookies. I love Warne as a bowler but just imagine if a different player had done those things. Its not the Australian players i have a problem with, its the obvious bum-chum treatment they often get
I thought the doosra was reported in a match involving teams, neither of which were Australian, by an English match referee. How was it seen to be affecting Australia at that time? If he's been bowling the doosra for years then it's fair to say that he's bowled it to us before with no complaint.

As for the "bum-chum" treatment - is that treatment like Hansie Cronje jamming a stump through the umpires door when touring Australia and nothing happening, or Ranatunga leading his players to the edge of the field threatening a walk off, then man-handling the umpire into position and nothing happening - that sort of treatment?

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
Son Of Coco said:
Ranatunga leading his players to the edge of the field threatening a walk off, then man-handling the umpire into position and nothing happening - that sort of treatment?
Ranatunga was fined for thousands of dollars and his match fee for the whole tournament was taken off....for that

Andre

International Regular
Scallywag said:
Former Pakistan captain Imran Khan has said that the betting scandal has been blown out of all proportion.

Imran said the episode was "trivial" and added: "The only confusion is why it has been declared so late, it's the Australian Cricket Board which is responsible for creating all this fuss."

Imran said he believed that what the Australian players had done did not even amount to a "fineable offence."

That is Imrans take on the issue and he's from the sub continent.

Reflecting the extent of soul-searching and disappointment across the cricket loving country, Prime Minister John Howard said he shared a feeling of intense disappointment with cricket-loving Australians over the bookmaker scandal.

Now why didnt everybody jump on Howards back when he said this, is it because they only jump on his back when he talks about Asian players which would mean that Asians treat Australians with double standards.
All well and good, but that is Imran's opinion, and regardless of what he thinks, the punishment was correct in acknowledging the players had done the wrong thing - knowingly or not.

As for Howards, those 2 statements aren't even closely comparable, when one it stating the bleeding obvious (that the bookmaking was dissapointing) while the other one had little or nothing to do with him and was a hyper-sensitive issue. He shouldn't have called Murali a chucker - it was a silly thing to do in his position, even if it have been taken out of all context.

Scallywag, I understand that you are a proud Australia, and so am I. Our media, however, has made numerous mentions of Murali, Lawson, Harbhajan, Shoaib and any other bowler who has had a suspect bowling action. The same way they spoke about Brett Lee. Claiming that the Australians and their media are victimised is completely folly, because they are just as bad as the rest of the cricketing world. That's reality.

Btw, IRRC, Azhar admitted to the bookmaking. I have a book written on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.