Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strength to bowl fast?

strength to bowl fast?

How important do you guys think strength is to bowl fast? I don't think it's that important. IMO being able to bowl fast depends more on the action. I know I just play cricket for fun but two years ago, I could bowl a LOT faster than I do today (tho I have gotten a lot stronger). I remember I was really fast and the batters were scared lol. But now, I am medium pace. I think after adding more muscle, you compromise a quick arm action. Either that, or I've started doing something totally wrong.
    Last edited by ReallyCrazy; 14-08-2004 at 09:25 AM.

or the batsman have bcome more accustomed to bowlin of a higher pace

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    I think it's got more to do with rhythm and a good action than strength. If you've got a good action when you're young, but are not necessarily quick then you'd expect your pace to develop along with additional strength. If you're quick due to be abnormally big for your age etc then I guess you'd be seeing everyone catch up at a latter stage, unless of course you had the technique to keep on developing accordingly.

U19 Debutant
    its more to do with the action, look at waqar and shoaib when they bowled they use the slinging action with generated lots of extra pace. even now lasith malinga of SL uses the high slinging action and can generate serious pace, most of those who use the 'regular' action generate medium pace *except bond and brett lee and probably other but i cant think of them...?*
    Best batsman = Rahul Dravid
    Best bowler = Muttiah Muralitharan

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    apparently it has a lot to do with how your abdominal muscles contract or something
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Yeah, Swervy's rightish (whatever the actual terminology is!). It's a different kind of "strength".
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    It's about the action and strength.Your lower body has to be strong to generate pace using the right techniques.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

State Vice-Captain
    Arm speed is the key but your body has to be strong to cope with this. A interestig stat though is that Glen McGrath and Shane Warne have exactly the same arm speed.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hit4Six
    its more to do with the action, look at waqar and shoaib when they bowled they use the slinging action with generated lots of extra pace. even now lasith malinga of SL uses the high slinging action and can generate serious pace, most of those who use the 'regular' action generate medium pace *except bond and brett lee and probably other but i cant think of them...?*
    I think there's quite a few exceptions to the rule as far as using a normal action and generating serious pace goes - eg: see Lillee, Gillespie, Holding, Marshall, Garner, Ambrose, Walsh etc etc etc. I think a good action will generate some serious pace when it's combined with a normal amount of muscle and rhythm.

International Debutant SpaceMonkey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    apparently it has a lot to do with how your abdominal muscles contract or something
    Yeah i saw an article by Dennis Lillee on that...something to do with Fast Twitch and Normal Twitch muscles...apparently all the really fast bowlers are born with fast twitch and can naturally bowl faster.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
    Yeah i saw an article by Dennis Lillee on that...something to do with Fast Twitch and Normal Twitch muscles...apparently all the really fast bowlers are born with fast twitch and can naturally bowl faster.
    That's the one.

Fast Twitch Fibres + Arm Speed + Arm Length + Rhythm = Speed

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    That's the one.

Fast Twitch Fibres + Arm Speed + Arm Length + Rhythm = Speed
    Mr pick up thats right , But let me tell one thing that there is just a little difference between an express fast bowler and a fast bowler , lets say , Lee Akhtar vs Shabbir and Mohammad Akram. The thing is the revolving of the shoulder (which is common) but in Akhtar and Lee case its also a slight late jerk of the forearm which makes the bowl a bit faster in the initial flight ( which is also believed to be Chucking many times ). I have personaly experienced that . Ok may be next time I ll put a Picture of my fore arm in this forum , and you can see the natural curve on my fore arm I mean it looks twisted just like Akhtar .(I am at job so Dont have a digi cam right now other wise gonna put the pic right away ) . I have bowled at good pace myself about 5 years ago and I was told by my team mates ( a stupid old club ) that I am a tund( a slang Punjabi word for legal chuking ) bowler ...... It depends on the Anotomy of your Upper body too . I mean that the proportion of weight of muscels in your body , It mainly depends upon the structure of Buns (lol, not joking) and the strength of the area around your neck .
    Proud member of Twenty20-Is-Boring Society.
    T2IBS Media relations officer
    T2IBS official face
    R.I..P ........ Fardin Qayuumi
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Good luck at the hospital.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Fraz is always the best option IMO
    frazbest@hotmail.com

Makes sense.

A lot of the time, for me, fast bowlers are born and not made, no matter how much effort you put into every delivery off how much of a run up, some people can't get it past 100k, and others can wander in off four paces and bang it down there at 130+.

Grr..

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco
    I think there's quite a few exceptions to the rule as far as using a normal action and generating serious pace goes - eg: see Lillee, Gillespie, Holding, Marshall, Garner, Ambrose, Walsh etc etc etc. I think a good action will generate some serious pace when it's combined with a normal amount of muscle and rhythm.
    ye there r sorry lol, infact thinking about it more express pacers have the regular action as oppose to the slinging one.

i've stood at slip whilst shoaib has bowled,and i've also faced dilhara fernando

fernando and shoaib were both bowling off a 5 step run up,and let me tell u, dilharo was QUICK and shoaib seemed quick,but not devastating.... faced 5 delievries from fernando before he dcided to take out my leg stump! the first 4 were brilliant deliverikes outside off stump,and if not for the shear pace,i would've edged it to the keeper who was also struggling..

most of the batsman handled shoaib comfortably,but i never got to face him

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information